• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Athletes being "paid"

Of course it is fucking Texas btw. Everyone knows the stipend is coming and even lower level conferences are planning for it. But it needs to be rolled out at the conference level by member institutions at the very least.

Myron Rolle wouldn't agree that "Coaches are begging for kids that are serious about academics."

You are talking about one of the football factories, yet Rolle got a good education. Rolle chose to go to a football factory, he didn't have to. Just because an FSU coach put football first doesn't mean there aren't plenty out there that value the kid's education. If education is important to you, choose a school and coaches that agree.

You and Wrangor disagree with something I'm not saying.

And what you are saying doesn't address the point at all. So I guess congratulations? You proved there is a coach out there that is selfish, yet the player involved still became a Rhodes scholar?

Not sure what point you are trying to make other than you are right about this small
Meaningless nuance.

I said the vast majority of coaches want athletes that are also serious students. I stand by that. There certainly are coaches who are only interested in their own personal gain. Even in that scenario the athlete was an extra ordinary student. This giving evidence to the idea that an athlete has a lot of control over their own academic career.

Last edited:
Okay apparently Texas AD Steve Patterson was speaking in hypotheticals at a forum on the business in college sports and several articles yesterday were misconstrued at best.

If 10k is the number first rolled then that is probably an additional $2-2.5M to Wake in just athlete payments at the scholarship limit.

This is an issue that won't die, though the courts have always seemed reluctant to make a decisive ruling against the NCAA.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...a-back-in-hot-seat-in-push-to-undo-pay-limits

Athletes Put NCAA Back in Hot Seat in Push to Undo Pay Limits
Pamela MacLean and Eben Novy-Williams
September 4, 2018, 6:00 AM EDT
Antitrust trial stakes called ‘huge’ by ex-Division I director
College sports governing body sees threat to amateur fan base

College athletes are headed to federal court to take another shot at upending NCAA rules that prevent them from sharing in a multibillion-dollar economy.

A two-week trial that starts Tuesday has the potential to fundamentally alter college sports, allowing well-off schools and conferences to compete for highly prized athletes by offering cash compensation or other benefits tied to academics.

For athletes and their advocates, that’s a long-deserved cut of the billions that coaches, schools and athletics departments make off their games. For the National Collegiate Athletic Association, it’s a threat to an amateur model that the organization contends is vital to drawing fans and ensuring that athletes are incorporated into academic life.

The two sides are squaring off before the same judge in Oakland, California, who four years ago sided with athletes in ruling that the NCAA’s rules limiting compensation are anti-competitive. But this time the stakes are higher.

"This is huge with a capital H," said Jim Livengood, who spent 28 years as a Division I athletic director. "In fact, you might as well capitalize all the other letters too. It has the potential to be that moment where, 10 years from now, we look back and say, ’That’s when everything changed...'"

Thanks for posting. I couldn't find if this suit is being brought on by specific athletes. If so, it seems they may not be publicizing their names, which is a smart move by them because "Ed O'Bannon" is basically a four-letter word on the internet. O'Bannon's lawsuit lead to the death of college sports video games, so that each player could get a couple hundred dollars. That's the type of unintended consequence that I think would likely result from undoing pay limits to student athletes.

Yes, specific athletes are parties to the case. Though they seem to be a random cross-section of former NCAA athletes. I didn't recognize any names.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docke...hletic-association-athletic-grant-in-aid-cap/

Looking at the number of law firms and attorneys involved in the case, it's the lawyers who may turn out to be the big winners, as often happens in cases like this. :rolleyes:

Thanks. The only name I recognized was Nigel Hayes, who played basketball for Wisconsin.

Back