• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlanta Area Cheating Scandal

bernbp5

Reaction score
Just saw the story about the Atlanta Area Cheating Scandal on CNN. The teachers and administrators are going to jail? Seems really harsh. Judge issued punishment of 20 years because they wouldn't admit guilt and give up their right to appeal. If they had they would have received probation. Seems unfair there. Why did the RICO laws apply here?

I do think they really screwed up, but they should not go to jail. They should be fired, forced to give up teachers licenses, and do community service, maybe tutoring. But not jail time.

Last edited:
that explains all the news trucks at the courthouse yesterday when I was down town

It was essentially the fact they were given multiple chances to just admit wrong doing and instead decided to remain smug assholes about it. A bunch of other teachers admitted wrong doing and were given probation to nothing. This group decided that they would roll the dice with a jury, not too hard to find evidence after a ton of people already admitted they did it. Jury finds them guilty and the judge tells them work out a deal to keep them out of jail, once again the group refuses to admit they did anything wrong and wont work with the prosecution on deals. The judge gives them one more chance to admit wrong doing right before sentencing and a few take admit, apologize, and are given probation, home arrest at night for a year, weekend jail etc... The rest of the dumbasses decide no I am standing firm, boom you have now wasted millions of dollars, found guilty and are still assholes about it, judge gives them 7 years.

It was essentially the fact they were given multiple chances to just admit wrong doing and instead decided to remain smug assholes about it. A bunch of other teachers admitted wrong doing and were given probation to nothing. This group decided that they would roll the dice with a jury, not too hard to find evidence after a ton of people already admitted they did it. Jury finds them guilty and the judge tells them work out a deal to keep them out of jail, once again the group refuses to admit they did anything wrong and wont work with the prosecution on deals. The judge gives them one more chance to admit wrong doing right before sentencing and a few take admit, apologize, and are given probation, home arrest at night for a year, weekend jail etc... The rest of the dumbasses decide no I am standing firm, boom you have now wasted millions of dollars, found guilty and are still assholes about it, judge gives them 7 years.

Tagger, looks like they did hire ellis

They created a conspiracy to commit the crimes and threatened peoples livelihoods if they didn't go along an keep quiet. And they did it all while pretending to better educate children, who were getting the short end of the stick all along. Then they lied about it to the press, to investigators, and ultimately the courtroom. They can go to jail.

Just saw the story about the Atlanta Area Cheating Scandal on CNN. The teachers and administrators are going to jail? Seems really harsh. Judge issued punishment of 20 years because they wouldn't admit guilt and give up their right to appeal. If they had they would have received probation. Seems unfair there. Why did the RICO laws apply here?

I do think they really screwed up, but they should not go to jail. They should be fired, forced to give up teachers licenses, and do community service, maybe tutoring. But not jail time.

Doesn't sound like you know much about the case. They got what they deserved.

Doesn't sound like you know much about the case. They got what they deserved.

Regardless of the merits of the case, why should someone get 20 years when they only get probation if they plead guilty?

Regardless of the merits of the case, why should someone get 20 years when they only get probation if they plead guilty?

Lack of contrition.

And it's not the Atlanta Area Cheating Scandal, it's the Atlanta Public Schools Cheating Scandal.

It's not 20 years of jail time, it's 7, with 13 years probation.

They created a conspiracy to commit the crimes and threatened peoples livelihoods if they didn't go along an keep quiet. And they did it all while pretending to better educate children, who were getting the short end of the stick all along. Then they lied about it to the press, to investigators, and ultimately the courtroom. They can go to jail.

Any way to get the same prosecutors involved in the UNCheat deal?

Any way to get the same prosecutors involved in the UNCheat deal?

From what I've heard, we will learn later this week (Friday, specifically) about UNC, and the sentence will be equally harsh. All second hand info, though.

From what I've heard, we will learn later this week (Friday, specifically) about UNC, and the sentence will be equally harsh. All second hand info, though.

Woah woah woah, you can't just casually drop a bomb like that and not explain yourself, sir.

Woah woah woah, you can't just casually drop a bomb like that and not explain yourself, sir.

really-fat-guy-on-computer_1295986041.jpg

i must have missed them showing contrition

Info is second hand, from an Iron Duke who is typically in the know. He still claims the hammer is coming tomorrow. We will see. I am not confident enough about it to have it be its own thread - want no part of an "Officially Unofficial" legacy around here.

well this would make my year.

yet all the bankers who fucked everybody in the ass are walking free

Except that their walking around free wasn't free. They paid over $25B in fines. Of course those will line the pockets of government agencies filled with empty suit bureaucrats, who will continue to misuse it. Unfortunately for the teachers, they don't roll with checkbooks like that.

Back