• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Building a basement wine cellar

captruss24

Did I mention I'm a South Carolina fan? You know,
Reaction score
Anyone on here ever built a basement wine cellar? I've got the perfect space to do this project, but don't know if its worth going overboard (i.e. spending $3-5k) for a non-serious wine collecter. I love red wine, but generally don't buy expensive bottles. My goal is to buy good values and age them properly.

From what I've read online, you have to create a moisture barrier and have near perfect temp control....which can get pricey. We are in the process of building a house, so its the perfect time for me to start this project. Basically do the costs justify the means or is it almost impractical maintaining the perfect 55F/70% humidity environment?

I would say just buy a 3 or 4 big wine refrigerators (like $250-$400). A cellar is going to be costly - I would assume even for a small one you are probably looking at least $5k. A cellar would be cool if you wanted to be a full on collector or thought it would help your house value, but it isn't really worth it if you just want to be a modest collector.

If you aren't in a rush, look around at places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Homegoods, they usually get a few of the bigger wine fridges throughout the year and they can be a steal.

Back