• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Denver, Colorado

Glad this thread got bumped so I can pay it forward, also from this thread: Weekend in Denver, CO

also, hotel recs if anyone has any. client suggested st. julien which looks pretty nice.

Not really a rec, per se, but last spring we stayed at the Hyatt Regency and the Grand Hyatt, and I preferred the rooms at the Grand, FWIW. Bigger, better rooms; decent food; slightly better location IMO.

I just returned Wednesday and this is America's greatest city.

I got the vibe that Denver is really kickass in the summer, but it was kind of underwhelming in the springtime. Also felt like a better place to be a resident than to visit.

Tried out some of the spots previously recommended on the thread a few months ago:

Rioja: Had a pretty good meal here. Some hits, some misses. Drinks were just so-so.

Green Russell: Had a few drinks here after Rioja and really liked it. They know what they’re doing. Cool vibe. Also great pie.

Denver Biscuit Company: This place was a hit. Pretty inventive food, good drinks, fun vibe. Very crowded, though. Near the park, which is convenient if you want to check that out.

Cherry Cricket: Solid burgers. Not sure if I’d go out of my way for them again, though.

Sam's #3: Solid plates of diner food. Ditto above.

RMNP: Definitely worth it no matter what time of year. Still tons of snow when we went in early April, so some of the roads were still closed, but we saw a ton of wildlife, got some great pictures, did a couple of short hikes in the snow. Highly recommend.

Boulder: Spent a little time here on the way back from RMNP. Had a good meal and some decent brews at Mountain Sun. The beer flights there are pretty intense — half a dozen picks from their list at 8 oz. pours.

And some other spots we tried:

ChoLon Bistro: Solid Asian fusion stuff that stood up well even coming from a SF-based perspective. The French-onion-soup dumplings were surprisingly great. Kaya toast was good, too.

Root Down: Excellent meal. Highly recommended. Best meal we had all week. Really inventive food, easy to try lots of smaller plates, good cocktails, cool atmosphere. Pretty affordable for a top spot. Go here above anywhere else among recommended restaurants.

The breweries around Denver, and in Colorado in general, are really fantastic, and beyond our dinner at Root Down, touring them was hands down the best eating/drinking experience we had all week. If I could pick only one for a return visit, I'd go with Great Divide.

Also spent half a day down in the Colorado Springs area at Garden of the Gods, which was awesome and totally worth the drive.

One of the things I liked best about Denver was a jog along the Cherry Creek greenway. The altitude was tough, but it was a nice spot for a run.

I also drove up to Mount Evans along the highest paved road in America. Some amazing scenery there. In parts, scariest road I've driven since the Pacific Coast Highway.

Red Rocks Amphitheatre is unreal.

It'd be cool to go back and do a little rafting or tubing. I'd also like to check out the nicer restaurants like Rioja, etc.

We stayed in a cabin in Nederland, CO, about 30 miles west of Boulder about a month ago for a bachelor party. It allowed us to spend time in Denver, Boulder, and Colorado Springs with pretty easy drives. And the drive to/from Boulder/Nederland was one of the nicest drives I've ever taken on CO-119. It's a canyon/river drive between mountains, with huge cliffs on either side. There are a few plateaus on the way up that you can stop and get great views of Twin Sisters, a couple gorgeous mountain lakes, etc. It was really stunning.

If anyone wants a dope trail that is pretty easy...take the lily mountain trail. 360 degree views at the top:

erazy6as.jpg

Back