• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Trouble with Home Internet

LadyDeac03

Reaction score
Ok, tech gurus. Any help you can offer?

We have RCN cable/internet at home and use a wireless router. Typically we have two laptops and an iPad that are using the wireless (password protected network). We've obviously had problems, like most people, in the past through RCN or having to re-start the router, but nothing like this, and it's throwing us for a loop.

Starting last Wednesday morning, all of a sudden the internet stopped working on my computer. It's still showing I'm connected to the wireless network, but there is no internet connection. However, my husband's laptop and the iPad are getting internet just fine.

I don't think I did anything differently or downloaded anything or hit any buttons that would've caused the problem. I tried re-starting the laptop at the time, with no success, but we were getting ready to head out for vacation so I didn't have much time to trouble-shoot. I had forgotten about the issue until we returned last night and the computer still didn't have internet.

Last night we tried the following:

1) Ran a full virus scan on both McAfee and MalWareBytes
2) Re-setting the DNS Nodes (or something like that)

Neither of those things worked. I also read something about re-setting the TCP/IP but we haven't tried that yet.

Any idea what else it may be? Do we just need to suck it up and go to Geek Squad or something?

We have RCN cable/internet at home and use a wireless router. Typically we have two laptops and an iPad that are using the wireless (password protected network). We've obviously had problems, like most people, in the past through RCN or having to re-start the router, but nothing like this, and it's throwing us for a loop.

Starting last Wednesday morning, all of a sudden the internet stopped working on my computer. It's still showing I'm connected to the wireless network, but there is no internet connection. However, my husband's laptop and the iPad are getting internet just fine.

I don't think I did anything differently or downloaded anything or hit any buttons that would've caused the problem. I tried re-starting the laptop at the time, with no success, but we were getting ready to head out for vacation so I didn't have much time to trouble-shoot. I had forgotten about the issue until we returned last night and the computer still didn't have internet.

Neither of those things worked. I also read something about re-setting the TCP/IP but we haven't tried that yet.

Any idea what else it may be? Do we just need to suck it up and go to Geek Squad or something?

Could be a problem with your wireless drivers, reinstalling those and restarting might fix it. You could try renewing your IP information in the command prompt by typing in: ipconfig /renew

here is a good link describing ways to fix IP or DNS issues
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/a/ipconfig.htm

Try hard resetting the router and modem. This will require you to re-do your wireless security etc..

If it's a Windows 7 machine check and see if there were any updates installed around the time of the issue. You should be able to back them out, reboot, and see if that's the culprit. I'd just pick a day you know it was working and back out every update since that point.

Only other thing you might try is giving your computer a static IP. Assuming it's a typical router setup, you'd give it something like 192.168.1.20 and go from there.

RCN, lols. When they were Starpower, I had the most :eek: customer service experience ever. A tech was like 2 hours late for a service call and when I called to ask what the deal was, the response I got was "Look nigga, he be there when he get there." Good times, Starpower.

Just had this problem on a friend's computer. It ended up being McAfee's fault w/ the built-in firewall messing everything up. Disabling it didn't work though. I just did a full uninstall of that, then had to re-enable a bunch of IP services that had been turned off, and then it all worked. Was a pain in the ass though. I hate McAfee.

Can you connect when you're in safe mode (with networking)? I'm thinking it's a problem specifically w/ software on your laptop since your husband's laptop and the ipad is connecting just fine. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar issue with McAfee to be honest (since you said you ran/have that).

Thanks for the advice so far. We'll try some of this when we get home tonight.

As for RCN...after having Comcast for 4 years I was willing to try whoever the "other guy" was ;)

Thanks for the advice so far. We'll try some of this when we get home tonight.

As for RCN...after having Comcast for 4 years I was willing to try whoever the "other guy" was ;)

Oh, I hear that. I took off 4 days of work over the past two+ weeks to get Comcast to install in my new place. I became besties with two customer service supervisors. I finally got tv and internets on friday night at 7:00. 17 days without cable or internet at home sucked. It was never the fault of the 6 techs that showed up, and they all just shook their heads and basically said that Comcast was just messed up internally.

Just had this problem on a friend's computer. It ended up being McAfee's fault w/ the built-in firewall messing everything up. Disabling it didn't work though. I just did a full uninstall of that, then had to re-enable a bunch of IP services that had been turned off, and then it all worked. Was a pain in the ass though. I hate McAfee.

Can you connect when you're in safe mode (with networking)? I'm thinking it's a problem specifically w/ software on your laptop since your husband's laptop and the ipad is connecting just fine. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar issue with McAfee to be honest (since you said you ran/have that).

This sounds like your problem, LadyDeac: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/48003

Thanks, everyone! It ended up being the McAfee problem. Boo. But all fixed now!

Does anyone know anything about TWC Internet speeds in the triad? Was experiencing slow speeds (5-9 mbps download, 1-2 upload) via TWC business class home connection which is roughly 100 bucks a month. Changed the older router out with a brand new, nice router bc the other was old. Saw little to no change in mbps. Before I call tech support (yes I know how much that will suck), wanted to see if any networking guru's could shed light on how slow that is compared to what it should be, or maybe settings I need to try first? It's a massive modem and new router... hard to believe it's anything besides the connection but I am not good with networking shit.

Does anyone know anything about TWC Internet speeds in the triad? Was experiencing slow speeds (5-9 mbps download, 1-2 upload) via TWC business class home connection which is roughly 100 bucks a month. Changed the older router out with a brand new, nice router bc the other was old. Saw little to no change in mbps. Before I call tech support (yes I know how much that will suck), wanted to see if any networking guru's could shed light on how slow that is compared to what it should be, or maybe settings I need to try first? It's a massive modem and new router... hard to believe it's anything besides the connection but I am not good with networking shit.

Hmm it's probably just TWC. They charge more for business class (I guess because it's generally a static IP + claimed better support?) but at the lower tiers the speeds are still pretty shitty. It's a racket.

Hmm it's probably just TWC. They charge more for business class (I guess because it's generally a static IP + claimed better support?) but at the lower tiers the speeds are still pretty shitty. It's a racket.

Thanks.That's what I thought.. the upload speed is what threw me off. I assumed that would be higher upload for VPN, etc. on bus class, but it's horribly slow streaming anything on demand with directv, Netflix, YouTube, etc. which is a result of the download speed I guess. TWC is a horrible horrible company.

Thanks.That's what I thought.. the upload speed is what threw me off. I assumed that would be higher upload for VPN, etc. on bus class, but it's horribly slow streaming anything on demand with directv, Netflix, YouTube, etc. which is a result of the download speed I guess. TWC is a horrible horrible company.

Yep, I used to work at a place that was forced to go w/ a business class service just because of the location/it was an office, and I was appalled that we had to pay almost twice what I was paying for my normal home internet service for (at best) equivalent speeds.

Yep, I used to work at a place that was forced to go w/ a business class service just because of the location/it was an office, and I was appalled that we had to pay almost twice what I was paying for my normal home internet service for (at best) equivalent speeds.

From what I can tell its even slower than the cheapest non bus class plan.

Back