• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Vacuum Advice

LadyDeac03

Reaction score
I am a bit sad that I am at the point in my life where this is an important question, but this is what it has come to.

Our vacuum that we got from our wedding registry is less than 2 years old, but the cord has been fraying for over a year (patched up shoddily with electrical tape) and it has never been that great anyway.

We also have a dog that sheds like crazy (and a cat that surprisingly doesn't shed nearly as much as the dog), so that is a consideration, along with the fact that probably 90% of our house is hard wood floors with a little bit of carpet here and there.

We were looking at the Dyson Animal (not sure about 41 vs 24...big vs small) and had generally heard good things, but there are certainly some less than glowing reviews out there. It's also obviously quite expensive, even with a Black Friday-Cyber Monday discount.

Also read some good things about the Hoover WindTunnel Pet Series, which is significantly less expensive and has decent reviews.

Anyone have any experiences or advice to share about either of the brands/models I mentioned? Or want to advocate for a totally different vacuum?

Good on wood floors and good with pet hair are the two biggest criteria, but I'd also prefer something bagless, and obviously lighter is always better.

Thanks!

We have two large hairy dogs and a Dyson Animal. That thing is MONTE.
Emptying out the canister makes you realize how dirty your carpet is. Disgusting.

I have a shedding dog and bought the Shark Navigator off a woot special for like $75 bucks. I have been pleasantly surprised at how good it works on carpet and wood floors. It's light as well. I bought it because it was cheap and I was going to keep it upstairs all the time as a second vacuum but I use it all the time. I'm sure the Dyson is a little better but way more expensive.

Now using a Hoover Wind Tunnel. It appears cheaply made but it cleans carpet far better than any other vac I have used. Cost less than $100 and if it lasts a year I will buy another.

I don't use it on bare floors. Rugs and carpet only.

Add another vote for the Dyson Animal (I don't even have any animals, but my parents do and that vacuum is amazing).

Thanks everyone for your advice so far.

Chris, was there something specific you didn't like about the Dyson? Or is the Eureka just better?

There's obviously a lot of love for the Dyson Animal, so I'm certainly curious to hear from anyone who DOESN'T love it.

Nothing wrong with the Dyson at all. Well, except the price. The Eureka did everything the Dyson did for half the price. Go to WalMart and buy the Eureka. You can always return in if you don't like it. I bought it fully expecting to return it but turned around and sold the Dyson on craigslist instead.

EDIT: And I own a dog that sheds constantly 365 days a year.

Last edited:
My Dyson Animal works well. I have two complaints: it's loud as a jet and it's not sturdy. In four years, the tool attachment point cracked and the power switch died. I have been able to replace the power switch myself (the part is only a couple of bucks, but factory service would have been at least $100), but I expect simple appliances like vacuums to be a bit sturdier.

When I replace it, I will consult Consumer Reports and buy something higher rated at half the price.

We have two large hairy dogs and a Dyson Animal. That thing is MONTE.
Emptying out the canister makes you realize how dirty your carpet is. Disgusting.

I'm trying to figure out who in your house would actually take the time to vacuum the carpet?

Back