• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Water heaters

timthedeac

Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions / recommendations on tank vs. tankless, gas vs. electric, brands, etc?

Definitely tankless. I have a Rinnai propane tankless and love it. They save so much money with efficiency and you'll never run out of hot water.

Definitely tankless. I have a Rinnai propane tankless and love it. They save so much money with efficiency and you'll never run out of hot water.

Absolutely agree. I have Rinnai tankless natural gas.

Just be aware that some people offset any savings, which are usually minimal with tankless, by actually using more water. However, tankless systems last much, much longer than a traditional water heater. But you can be in for an increase in installation expenses since you have to do some replumbing- typically.

I live in a very rural area, and even after all my praises, I'm finding that a lot of people are still hesitant about them. Sure, the upfront cost is more, but its easily recouped after just a couple years use. Between that, and only heating the water on demand it seems like a no brainer. I can see people with space or venting restrictions staying with a traditional water heater though.

We were looking into getting a tankless, but our hour is currently set up for an unvented water heater, and I'm not sure the cost to install a vent would be worth it. But we do neet a new hot water heater, even though this one is less than 6 months old (it came with our new house). It's a 40 gallon tank and cannot handle back to back showers.

There are several manufacturers, including Rinnai, who make outside units which eliminates the need for venting.

We just had to get a new water heater. We went with a tanked Bradford White and are very happy with it. It has never run out of hot water on us and the new ones are super efficient.

Whatever you do, don't get one from one of the big box stores. They carry models that are of lower quality even if it may sound like a reputable brand.

Looks like prices for Rinnai vary widely. There is an ATL plummer who is selling tankless Rinnai + install for just under 2k. But you can get Rinnai's on the web for like $800-$900.

Owning a home blows.

I paid $1500 installed for mine 5yrs ago. There are a few different sizes based upon the size of your home, and they'll vary by size. The Rinnai website used to have a tool that would tell you which one would work best for your home. Mine was put in by my plumber, but purchased for cheap from my propane company.

Be aware there can be a slight delay in the hot water delivery with a tankless. It can also be a little tricky to get the warmth you want. We just got a new one and went for tank, gas. It's terrific and since we aren't sure how long we will be in this specific place it made sense to not eat the upfront cost of tankless.

Just be aware that some people offset any savings, which are usually minimal with tankless, by actually using more water. However, tankless systems last much, much longer than a traditional water heater. But you can be in for an increase in installation expenses since you have to do some replumbing- typically.

If you have a teenage daughter, you'll need a timer in the bathroom to prevent one hour showers.

Back