• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Auburn Fires Head Coach (Has basically same record as Bzz)

DeaconWalker

Reaction score
http://college-basketball.si.com/20...=maing-grid7|main5|dl35|sec3_lnk3&pLid=453481

The quote from their AD makes me wish we had their AD

“After careful evaluation of the last four years, I feel this is best for the program,” Jacobs said. “I believe we should compete for championships in men’s basketball. It’s time for somebody else to have a turn. We need to find somebody to come in here and take what we have here now and put some more in and compete for SEC titles.”

Wellman won't say that. He will thank Bz for rebuilding the program and that Bz wants to return to the NBA

DeaconWalker;1663999[I said:
“After careful evaluation of the last four years, I feel this is best for the program,” [Redacted] said. “I believe we should compete for championships in men’s basketball. It’s time for somebody else to have a turn. We need to find somebody to come in here and take what we have here now and put some more in and compete for ACC titles.”

Hopefully we can hear something like this very soon

To be completely fair, [Redacted] has a tiny (like miniscule) amount of positive momentum. Not so for Barbee.

Jay Jacobs had the balls to fire Chizik two years removed from a national championship because it was blatantly evident that their success was because of Cam and Nick Fairley in spite of him, not because of him.

Not surprising at all that he made this change. Auburn is an SEC school that actually cares about winning and doesn't give a rats ass about doing it with culture. They also have a real BOT with actual authority that cares about athletics as well as academics and doesn't put up with BS. Their powerful/wealthy alumni also care more about winning instead of access and kissing the ring. Wellman runs the entire show at Wake. Jacobs is a figurehead and yes man at AU and knows who he answers to in order to keep his job.

Please describe what positive momentum he has?

Like he won more games this year than last.

But, as it turns out, so did Barbee. I was misremembering.

I do think Barbee's tenure has been worse, at least on-the-court, than [Redacted]'s, but both should obviously be fired, and I doubt that Barbee is the disaster that [Redacted] is w/ the media and fans.

Barbee probably would have been out last year if not for Chizik's buyout.

Do you think we would have won more games this year if we would have played a more representative schedule in December?

To be completely fair, [Redacted] has a tiny (like miniscule) amount of positive momentum. Not so for Barbee.

To be completely fair, I am not going to mock this post. Just going to let it go...

This guy's not another old friend of Wellman's, is he?

Do you think we would have won more games this year if we would have played a more representative schedule in December?

Probably not.

There's a different between having positive momentum and actually being better. Having positive momentum is the appearance of being better even if you aren't actually better. We are, at best, a tiny little bit better than last year, but in effect we're pretty much the exact same.

Like he won more games this year than last.

But, as it turns out, so did Barbee. I was misremembering.

I do think Barbee's tenure has been worse, at least on-the-court, than [Redacted]'s, but both should obviously be fired, and I doubt that Barbee is the disaster that [Redacted] is w/ the media and fans.

Barbee probably would have been out last year if not for Chizik's buyout.

But Barbee is at a school that doesn't care about basketball. Wellman is at a school that does.

Sonny Smith had the great quote about basketball at Auburn. Paraphrased it went like this..."they bought the football coach a new house on the golf course, they bought me a mobile home....and told me not to take the wheels off."

I'm sure Charles Barkley was in the AD's ear about canning Barbee.

Hopefully CP3, Josh Howard or some of our other basketball luminaries are insisting Wellman fires [Redacted]

They should have never hired Barbee if Ken was available.

Back