• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bars in Winston

dalbertthekid

Reaction score
I'm a rising senior and looking for some cool local bars. Wake kids get stuck in a rut with Last Resort and their Thursday drink specials these days. I've been to District, Tate's, Finnigan's Wake, and Foothills but are there any hidden gems?

My bad if there's already a thread for this.

Rec Room is fun. All the bars on burke street have a bunch of cool stuff to do. Finnegan's is probably the best bar in town to meet new people.

Is Diamondbacks still around?

What's the word on Brody's, that just opened on 4th street?
Looks like a townie/hipster bar.

also, johnny and junes on thursday night is great for people watching (dollar drink night + cover)

Opera House. If you're a rising senior and haven't been there yet I'm truly baffled.

Yep, Opera blows now for students I'd imagine, they do have the best darts in town though.

Rec Billiards and Single Bros are my favorite spots in Winston. Love foosball/darts/pool at Rec, and just chilling outside drinking at Single Bros. Finnegan's has really turned into the place to be downtown for students though.

Thanks for the recommendations. In response to Semi-Tough, most underclassmen just gravitate toward fraternity parties. Additionally, Winston has cracked down on fakes, making it tougher to frequent bars under-21.

Finnegans is always packed, but nice to meet people since that is where everyone goes.
Single Brothers is fun. Less people go there, and a different crowd from most other places you will go.
District is alright if the weather is nice, otherwise, it is pretty dull.
Silver Moon is bad in my opinion. Definitely not a crowd for a Wake undergrad.
Tates is where a lot of people in their mid to late 20s hang out. Girls love it. Fancy drinks and shit (they put rock candy in their drinks for fucks sake). Place gets so crowded on weekends you cant even walk around. Not my bag, but if I am trying to smash, I might end up there.
Rec is one of my favorites. The only downfall is they dont serve liquor. Other than that, this is a good spot with good people.
Opera House is one of my favorites to be honest. The drinks are the strongest in town, they have a fantastic games setup, but the clientelle is a little odd. I still love ending up here some nights since it is close to my hood. If you havent been there, you have to try it out.
Tap is cool when you can sit outside. More of a chill out spot/late night hangout.
Burke Street Pub is fun. I have only been there a couple of times, but the place is spread out and there is lots of area to move around and meet people.
Social Club is fun because they have shuffleboard and Golden Tee. Again, this is more of a place that you go have happy hour because you can kind of hang out on the couches or outside and relax. Not great for picking up wodees.

Those are about all the bars I frequent. Things change though in terms of who goes where on what nights. Until a little while ago, not many people went to Finnegans, but now everyone goes there it seems like. These things change with the times.

Finnegans is always packed, but nice to meet people since that is where everyone goes.
Single Brothers is fun. Less people go there, and a different crowd from most other places you will go.
District is alright if the weather is nice, otherwise, it is pretty dull.
Silver Moon is bad in my opinion. Definitely not a crowd for a Wake undergrad.
Tates is where a lot of people in their mid to late 20s hang out. Girls love it. Fancy drinks and shit (they put rock candy in their drinks for fucks sake). Place gets so crowded on weekends you cant even walk around. Not my bag, but if I am trying to smash, I might end up there.
Rec is one of my favorites. The only downfall is they dont serve liquor. Other than that, this is a good spot with good people.
Opera House is one of my favorites to be honest. The drinks are the strongest in town, they have a fantastic games setup, but the clientelle is a little odd. I still love ending up here some nights since it is close to my hood. If you havent been there, you have to try it out.
Tap is cool when you can sit outside. More of a chill out spot/late night hangout.
Burke Street Pub is fun. I have only been there a couple of times, but the place is spread out and there is lots of area to move around and meet people.
Social Club is fun because they have shuffleboard and Golden Tee. Again, this is more of a place that you go have happy hour because you can kind of hang out on the couches or outside and relax. Not great for picking up wodees.

Those are about all the bars I frequent. Things change though in terms of who goes where on what nights. Until a little while ago, not many people went to Finnegans, but now everyone goes there it seems like. These things change with the times.

Can't tell if trying to be helpful.....or humble-brag about being a Winston party animal.

I spent a ton of time at Burke Street Senior year. If you are going out with friends, there is no place better, IMO. The beers are cheap, there is plenty room, and there are tons of activities for ADD kids like me.

Finnegan's Wake is ok, but a little overrated. When it's crowded, it's miserable.

O House after Thirsty Thursday was clutch.

I used to enjoy Pint Night at Fox and Hound for the $2 pints with a great selection. Also a place with room for activities.

Embrace the weeknight drink specials. No reason to spend money you don't need to. It will soon be less socially acceptable and professionally feasible, so live it up while you can.

Back