• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

It's unfortunate Newman is leaving. It seems like a really peculiar decision. It's very risky to walk away from a starting QB position. I think it's unlikely it works out the way he thinks it will, but I could be wrong.

With all that said, hands down the best part of this is watching Biff struggle to process all the UGA fans salivating over the Wake QB (and the WRs).

It's unfortunate Newman is leaving. It seems like a really peculiar decision. It's very risky to walk away from a starting QB position. I think it's unlikely it works out the way he thinks it will, but I could be wrong.

With all that said, hands down the best part of this is watching Biff struggle to process all the UGA fans salivating over the Wake QB (and the WRs).

This. So much this.

I don't know that there has been a direct quote of any sort from Clawson on this topic. I think we all just assume we would have definitely seen Hartman sooner in the bowl game if he knew in advance that Newman was on his way out the door by choice....given how poorly Newman was playing. That fact plus the tone of Clawson's post announcement comments would seem to indicate that he was blindsided by Newman's decision.

Honestly, this didn't work out too poorly for Clawson. He got one year of a pro prospect QB and he redshirted Hartman so he could be start for three more years. Kern is sticking around and looks like he'll be a good player. And he has two good QB prospects in the pipeline. Like I posted last week, 5 years from now, we'll look at Newman's time as a starter as a blip in Hartman's tenure as a four-year starter.

Going to football crazy SEC school who just lost their qb kind of unexpectedly... this seems to have worked out quite well for Newman. I’m just glad he didn’t throw away his senior year to be in a Nfl practice squad for a year. Jamie is going to have an absolute blast playing in front of huge crowds in big games and having hot coeds at every corner. Hard to say this is not a good move for him

Going to football crazy SEC school who just lost their qb kind of unexpectedly... this seems to have worked out quite well for Newman. I’m just glad he didn’t throw away his senior year to be in a Nfl practice squad for a year. Jamie is going to have an absolute blast playing in front of huge crowds in big games and having hot coeds at every corner. Hard to say this is not a good move for him

We will see. If he plays like he did the last half of the year, he will not see much action at Georgia or the NFL.

SEC teams do not give long leashes if they lose.

He will enjoy meeting the SEC linemen with the one returning starter OL. Everyone else will be new starters. Granted, UGA reloads every year, but the OL is still a spot that requires development.

Getting tackled and sacked by SEC linemen will sooner more than later, result in an injury IMHO, given his track record.

The small part of me who regrets not going to Athens for grad school agrees with this.

The narrative of Newman not caring in the bowl game because he knew he was transferring seems irrational to me. Wouldn’t he have played as balls out as possible to try to attract potential suitors?

What was said ad nauseum on this thread. He wants a pro offense!

The narrative of Newman not caring in the bowl game because he knew he was transferring seems irrational to me. Wouldn’t he have played as balls out as possible to try to attract potential suitors?

I agree. I think our offense is ass without Suratt on the field.

What was said ad nauseum on this thread. He wants a pro offense!

Oh no! A college graduate wants to go to school elsewhere to get more training for his chosen field!

Back