• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

I don't really get a Crawford vibe from Cavanaugh. He's routinely out-rebounding Coleman. That doesn't sound like Casey Crawford.

Expecting nice things from Cavanaugh.

All of our recruits are playing well at the end of the year it seems. Gotta love seeing that for a change.. Would be awesome if these guys far exceed their hype and all five (no Washington) see major PT next year. Just based on all the talk I would say I (and most people I know) are more excited for this class than 2 years ago.

Most of the excitement for the 2010 class surrounded JTT and, to a lesser extent, McKie and TC. Tabb and Desrosiers were sort of unknowns who we liked because of their high star ranking, but I don't remember them putting up the same types of numbers as our incoming recruits.

It seems like this 2012 class has big time high school players at every position except for Washington. Gotta love that.

From Carson's profile page:

Led the Raiders to the Massachusetts Division I state title as a sophomore in 2007-08 and as a senior in 2009-10 ... Hit the game-winning shot in a 56-55 win over St. John's in the 2010 title game ... As a senior, averaged 16.6 points, 13.5 rebounds and 6.5 blocks per game and shot 52.9 percent from the floor and 73.8 percent from the free throw line

Tabb:

Led Enloe to a 22-5 record, the 4A East Sectional Finals and a Cap 7 Conference title as a senior, averaging 15.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per game ... Two-time first team all Cap 7 Conference honoree ... As a junior, averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Eagles to a 28-3 record and a regular season conference championship ... Enloe lost in the 2009 4A regional semifinals ... Averaged 14 points and eight rebounds as a sophomore in 2007-08, leading Enloe to a 19-7 record

Last edited:
Not to dump on Tabb, but 16 and 7 is not particularly impressive. Devin Thomas is probably facing weaker competition, but he absolutely blows those numbers out of the water.

It also should have been a huge red flag that Tabb's numbers dropped from junior year to senior year.

Not to dump on Tabb, but 16 and 7 is not particularly impressive. Devin Thomas is probably facing weaker competition, but he absolutely blows those numbers out of the water.

It also should have been a huge red flag that Tabb's numbers dropped from junior year to senior year.

Plus I feel like we heard multiple reports from people saying Tabb just didn't seem involved in the games at all.

I also remember mocking NC State fans for sour grapes when they said he was a head case. I also remember mocking a Georgia Tech fan for sour grapes when he said Tony Woods had a temper problem.

Cavanaugh, Coleman, lead J-D to fifth consecutive Class A hoop title - http://highschoolsports.syracuse.co...-j-d-to-fifth-consecutive-class-a-hoop-title/

J-D’s 6-foot-9 forward Tyler Cavanaugh finished with a game-high 25 points and 13 rebounds. Cavanaugh’s first five baskets were 3-pointers, including four in the first quarter. Teammate 6-10 center Dajuan Coleman added 16 points and 10 rebounds.

I think it's interesting that Cav outscores Coleman. Him and Devin might be the only ones. Rountree led his team in rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals, but not points. I think Montrezl is the leading scorer for Hargrave. And Savage outscores Moto for Episcopal. Devin's team is the only one where the best player (ranking-wise) scores the most points.

From Carson's profile page:

Led the Raiders to the Massachusetts Division I state title as a sophomore in 2007-08 and as a senior in 2009-10 ... Hit the game-winning shot in a 56-55 win over St. John's in the 2010 title game ... As a senior, averaged 16.6 points, 13.5 rebounds and 6.5 blocks per game and shot 52.9 percent from the floor and 73.8 percent from the free throw line

Tabb:

Led Enloe to a 22-5 record, the 4A East Sectional Finals and a Cap 7 Conference title as a senior, averaging 15.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per game ... Two-time first team all Cap 7 Conference honoree ... As a junior, averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Eagles to a 28-3 record and a regular season conference championship ... Enloe lost in the 2009 4A regional semifinals ... Averaged 14 points and eight rebounds as a sophomore in 2007-08, leading Enloe to a 19-7 record

I'm not sure what this goes to show. These were their numbers. No one, as I remember, was that excited about these numbers. Carson especially didn't garner huge enthusiasm outside of his Scout ranking due to the fact that he was playing against weak competition and he looked too skinny.

Didnt Tabb have an injury or something his senior year? Maybe just my imagination.

No he played, just didn't play well. Although the one time I saw him in AAU for team CP3 he looked great. Stood out more than Purvis or PJ Hairston that game. Sad Panda.

I think it's interesting that Cav outscores Coleman. Him and Devin might be the only ones. Rountree led his team in rebounds, assists, blocks, and steals, but not points. I think Montrezl is the leading scorer for Hargrave. And Savage outscores Moto for Episcopal. Devin's team is the only one where the best player (ranking-wise) scores the most points.

The great thing about Codi is that he ran a team that went undefeated and averaged over 100 points per game, while keeping five Division I recruits happy.

In the games that were close he was the go to guy even though he wasn't the leading scorer.

I've seen him play four times and he looks like the real deal.

No he played, just didn't play well. Although the one time I saw him in AAU for team CP3 he looked great. Stood out more than Purvis or PJ Hairston that game. Sad Panda.

Does not compute.

Although, seriously, he did seem to have some talent if he had put forth the effort to get in shape and polish that talent. His game needed a lot of work, but things like soft hands and good feet are evident even when someone's game looks raw.

I'm not sure what this goes to show. These were their numbers. No one, as I remember, was that excited about these numbers. Carson especially didn't garner huge enthusiasm outside of his Scout ranking due to the fact that he was playing against weak competition and he looked too skinny.

Those numbers are, as best I can tell, approximately on par with those of most all our incoming class except Devin, which therefore goes to show that your memory of them not "putting up the same types of numbers as our incoming recruits" is incorrect. Moto, for example, appears to be averaging 14.8 ppg based on the Washington Post stats.

Last edited:
I also remember mocking NC State fans for sour grapes when they said he was a head case. I also remember mocking a Georgia Tech fan for sour grapes when he said Tony Woods had a temper problem.

BC fans also said that Carson was soft.

Those numbers are, as best I can tell, approximately on par with those of most all our incoming class except Devin, which therefore goes to show that your memory of them not "putting up the same types of numbers as our incoming recruits" is incorrect. Moto, for example, appears to be averaging 14.8 ppg based on the Washington Post stats.

That's true, but its worth pointing out that Moto plays in one of the most competitive high school leagues/areas in the country. Averaging 15 against schools like Paul VI and Bullis is significantly more impressive than averaging 16 in Massachusetts.

Also, I'm confident that if CMM was still playing high school ball, he could easily put up JTT type numbers.

I think tabb is averaging 8 or 9 Pts a game at midland juco. Not exactly standing out

If I had to rank the 11 players, based on only what I had read/heard/seen while they were in HS, I'd go something like:

Tons of hype, loved what I saw in person, thought/think they would/will be studs:
1) Codi
2) JTT

Great ranking, some hype, I thought/think they would/will be really good:
3) Travis
4) Moto

Good/great rankings, impressive senior years, I thought/think they would/will be good:
5) Thomas
6) Carson
7) Cav

Decent ranking, but not that impressed based on what I saw in person/TV, serious potential red flags:
8) Chennault
9) Tabb
10) Rountree

Poor ranking, not impressed in person, don't expect much:
11) Washington

Last edited:
Yea I think Cav could really surprise some people and outperform his ranking. It appears he has consistently scored 20+ in his state tournament and no matter what competition he's playing (which my guess is it's not too terrible) that is impressive especially the way he is scoring.. looks like he is really shooting well from deep. I think that's how he can really help us. Having a 6'8" guy who can step out and hit shots consistently will be real nice

Back