• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

We have a kick ass recruiting class coming in. Who wants to come in as a Frosh behind the Super Seven?! We should get big interest the year after next.

We've managed to get some great players to play after big classes in the past. Shouldn't be a problem now.

Yes, the top 100 from 2013 are all shaking in their boots at having to compete with our loaded 2012 class that has 2 top 100 players.

We have a highly rated class. We know the top 100 is BS based on the Rchildress107's post above. We are not Indiana, Duke, UNC or Kentucky. A big draw in Wake recruiting is the easy sell - "You can come in right away and play against Carolina and Duke. If you take that UNC offer you might not play until you are a junior". Can't say that so easily with a highly rated 7 man class in this year, right? And if you do the Buzz-outers will be all over you for running the current players out (what was the complaint about a statement regarding CMM starting that allegedly caused TC to transfer? - Buzz is an ass for saying it, yadda, yadda, yadda).

We have a highly rated class. We know the top 100 is BS based on the Rchildress107's post above. We are not Indiana, Duke, UNC or Kentucky. A big draw in Wake recruiting is the easy sell - "You can come in right away and play against Carolina and Duke. If you take that UNC offer you might not play until you are a junior". Can't say that so easily with a highly rated 7 man class in this year, right? And if you do the Buzz-outers will be all over you for running the current players out (what was the complaint about a statement regarding CMM starting that allegedly caused TC to transfer? - Buzz is an ass for saying it, yadda, yadda, yadda).

The excuses begin.

Our post game right now is a 3 star center expected to redshirt, a 3 star power forward who we hope is underrated, another 3 star PF who plays a perimeter game, and a 2 star sophomore.

Any 4 or 5 star PF or center would get huge minutes and should expect to start from day one. To act like we don't offer immediate minutes is laughable.

What we know about the top 100 is that more often than not, players in it are better than players that aren't in it.

Last edited:
Our post game right now is a 3 star center expected to redshirt, a 3 star power forward who we hope is underrated another 3 star PF who plays a perimeter game, and a 2 star sophomore.

Any 4 or 5 star PF or center would get huge minutes and should be penciled in as a starter. To act like we don't offer immediate minutes is laughable.

I agree we could use another big. But if I am a high school senior and I have to compete at Wake with a guy who was on ESPN breaking a backboard and 7 footer named Washington (whether or not he redshirts), it may be a tougher choice than coming in knowing you will start.

I agree we could use another big. But if I am a high school senior and I have to compete at Wake with a guy who was on ESPN breaking a backboard and 7 footer named Washington (whether or not he redshirts), it may be a tougher choice than coming in knowing you will start.

Ed Kargobo broke a backboard!!!! At Cameron Indoor Stadium!!!!! and he was a walk-on football player!!!!!!!

Breaking a backboard doesn't mean you are a good basketball player. And that 7 footer couldn't start for Hargrave. I would hope that any HM recruit wouldn't be afraid of Washington.

Ed Kargobo broke a backboard!!!! At Cameron Indoor Stadium!!!!! and he was a walk-on football player!!!!!!!

Breaking a backboard doesn't mean you are a good basketball player. And that 7 footer couldn't start for Hargrave. I would hope that any HM recruit wouldn't be afraid of Washington.

We have a great class coming in, just enjoy it. In most places around the county, when I say I went to Wake Forest people say "that's in Illinois, right". We are not UNC or Kentucky where we can just reload and keep recruiting over people. A big part of the sell is "you can play now". If you lie about that to the kids that are coming in, or the kids you just told it to, it will become a probelm. We need quality players who will play 4 years like Chill and Timmy D., and Travis and CJ (who will get some much needed help this year). We can and should compete at the top level of the ACC, but we are never going to be able to do it like UNC can, year in and year out. Patience, young grass-hopper

In most places around the country, when I say I went to Wake Forest people say "Did you go to school with Tim Duncan?" or "What happened to your basketball program?"

We have a great class coming in, just enjoy it. In most places around the county, when I say I went to Wake Forest people say "that's in Illinois, right". We are not UNC or Kentucky where we can just reload and keep recruiting over people. A big part of the sell is "you can play now". If you lie about that to the kids that are coming in, or the kids you just told it to, it will become a probelm. We need quality players who will play 4 years like Chill and Timmy D., and Travis and CJ (who will get some much needed help this year). We can and should compete at the top level of the ACC, but we are never going to be able to do it like UNC can, year in and year out. Patience, young grass-hopper

Dude, we are like 10th in the number of top 100 recruits in the last 20 years. I don't understand your need to delusionally poor mouth Wake to try to excuse Bzzz's really poor performance so far.

Now, I guess I will watch Tim Duncan play Chris Paul in the NBA playoffs on national TV. But you are right, nobody has ever heard of Wake.

Any top 50 recruit should expect to immediately be part of the rotation. If you haven't noticed, we will be picked 11th or 12th in the ACC next year. Teams picked there don't turn down top 50 recruits. And Bzzz would give his right nut to get a recruit ranked that highly and would talk about him all the time. Don't kid yourself.

Last edited:
In most places around the country, when I say I went to Wake Forest people say "Did you go to school with Tim Duncan?" or "What happened to your basketball program?"

Maybe the accent is different. Do you mean places around the "country" or "coooountry"?

Exactly. We're 3rd or 4th in Top 100 recruits in the ACC over the last 15 years or so. I only say "or 4th" because I don't feel like looking up Maryland's recruits.

Dude, we are like 10th in the number of top 100 recruits in the last 20 years. I don't understand your need to delusionally poor mouth Wake to try to excuse Bzzz's really poor performance so far.

Now, I guess I will watch Tim Duncan play Chris Paul in the NBA playoffs on national TV.

I am not "poor mouthing Wake" whatever the heck that means -- and it is an odd criticism from someone who is negative everything Wake hoops. I am one of the only remaining optimistic fans. We got lucky twice in the past 40 years and got two of the best players on the planet about 15 years apart, one who happened to grow up a mile down the road and one who was totally under the radar that we stumbled upon due to a broken pool. That doesn't make us UNC or Kentucky. We have a great history, but don't let that blind you to reality - one of the attractions of coming to Wake (apart from a great education) is playing time, which makes it hard to get successive great classes of players. The Greeks have a great history, but they are enduring a rough patch too. We will be great again, but people need patience and perspective.

We have a 7 man class that is ranked as the 8th best class in our conference coming in, and the excuse is that we couldn't possibly recruit quality the next year even though most of the teams ranked ahead of us among the ACC classes will bring in top 100 players in 2013 too.

I am not "poor mouthing Wake" whatever the heck that means -- and it is an odd criticism from someone who is negative everything Wake hoops. I am one of the only remaining optimistic fans. We got lucky twice in the past 40 years and got two of the best players on the planet about 15 years apart, one who happened to grow up a mile down the road and one who was totally under the radar that we stumbled upon due to a broken pool. That doesn't make us UNC or Kentucky. We have a great history, but don't let that blind you to reality - one of the attractions of coming to Wake (apart from a great education) is playing time, which makes it hard to get successive great classes of players. The Greeks have a great history too, but they are enduring a rough patch too. We will be great again, but people need patience and perspective.

You aren't optimistic, you are delusional. You act like pretending that our incoming class is "great" actually makes it great, when all of the objective evidence is that this is a class mostly of 3 star recruits outside of the top 100.

Objectively, this isn't a great class. And you repeating over and over again that it is a great class doesn't make it a great class.

Nobody has suggested we are UK or UNC. That is just a strawman you have constructed. The fact is that over a long term, we have been a consistent top 15 team in brining in highly rated talent.

I am negative about Bzzz because he has been a poor coach before he got to Wake, and since he got here Wake has been poor. I don't think that is a coincidence. I am positive about Wake.

You are negative about Wake's place in the college basketball world in a desperate attempt to excuse anything and everything about Bzzz.

Last edited:

A few weeks ago you were confident that we would get a quality big man and that, as long as we did that, we would make the tournament.

Now what?

We've managed to get some great players to play after big classes in the past. Shouldn't be a problem now.

Of our last five first round picks (JT, JJ, AFA, Howard, CP), all but AFA came in after a 5 or 6 man class.

ACC All Access: Montrezl Harrell has been released from his scholarship, according to Virginia Tech assoc. AD Tom Gabbard

Harrell, a 6-foot-7, 230-pound forward from Tarboro, N.C. who played last season at Hargrave Military Academy, is now be free to pursue a college basketball future at another school. Gabbard added Harrell has no Tech-mandated restrictions regarding which schools he considers...

... After a strong spring of AAU basketball, Harrell may now be garnering interest from Kentucky and Louisville among others. Without Harrell, Johnson will have only eight scholarship players on his roster next season.

Looks like Harrell had much too strong of a finish to his prep career to make us a factor despite no school restrictions from VT and Tree, CMM and Andre all being very good friends/teammates with him.

I would stop engaging Schwabber, guys. He's going to spin everything in [Redacted]'s favor, no matter how absurd.

Of the 4 guys we are listed with (Ennis, Newkirk, Young, Lyles), I really can't see us ending up with any of them. Ennis is too highly sought after, we aren't really involved with Newkirk, and I can't see us taking Lyles (he's a 6' combo guard). I don't know much about Young, but just based on his offer list, I don't like our chances. Bottomline: Davon Reed is probably our only chance at landing a no-doubt top 100 player (obviously we could still find a late-riser like Codi). I think it goes without saying that this is (yet another) major red flag for the [Redacted] era here at Wake. He has to understand that we expect (and need) top 100 talent, every single year, regardless of class size.

On an unrelated note, I'm really not surprised McClinton dropped out of the top 100. I always thought he was ranked based on his athleticism and potential- his basketball skill has never been all that impressive.

Back