• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread 3.0 - The Manning era begins: The Harry Giles Chronicles

Also, FWIW, there's a huge amount of room between the talent been good enough to be better than we have been the last 3 years (and will be this year) and being good enough to be a front runner in the ACC and nationally relevant (which is where we all want to be).

And, of course, our two best players for the past three years were Dino Gaudio recruits.

YEP. We'll see if Devin breaks that trend, but this point stands until he's a proven commodity. He needs to pick up where he left off, and take a big step up from where he was last year. The good news is that the scouting powers-that-be know who he is after his strong summer.

Watson is # 66 shooting guard on 247sports About the same as Fischer and Overton Cavenaugh and roundtree were # 51 and 52 small forwards So I don't see the reason to go crazy over this recruit The only highly rated recruits on the roster are Travis moto and Codi Wake has recruited many more 4 star players before bzzz. But next year we will have Mitchell Codi moto devin and haas starting with mclinton green Rountree jones cavenaugh Overton and Watson as reserves thats not a bad team this assumes that green and mclinton recover fully If mclinton redshirts and green is granted an Extra year of eligibility , the freshman class next year will be Mitchell mclinton green haas and Watson I can see light at the end of the tunnel

Watson is # 66 shooting guard on 247sports About the same as Fischer and Overton Cavenaugh and roundtree were # 51 and 52 small forwards So I don't see the reason to go crazy over this recruit The only highly rated recruits on the roster are Travis moto and Codi Wake has recruited many more 4 star players before bzzz. But next year we will have Mitchell Codi moto devin and haas starting with mclinton green Rountree jones cavenaugh Overton and Watson as reserves thats not a bad team this assumes that green and mclinton recover fully If mclinton redshirts and green is granted an Extra year of eligibility , the freshman class next year will be Mitchell mclinton green haas and Watson I can see light at the end of the tunnel

When Watson is ranked on Rivals, Scout, or ESPN let me know.

As we found out during the late summer, early fall recruiting cycle, 247 Sports is The Bleacher Report of basketball recruiting outlets.

We have already established that Rountree flirted with the top-100 and was ranked in the RSCI at #139. Devin Thomas, Madison Jones, Tyler Cavanaugh, and Andre Washington weren't ranked in the RSCI Top-175, so I think it's safe to say that Rondale won't, either.

If you're excited about a prospect because he's similarly ranked as Chase Fischer, knowing how Chase fared at Wake, then I have no idea how you're possibly excited about this commitment. So, we signed a player who very obviously isn't good enough to play in the ACC?

(For the record, Rondale isn't a Chase Fischer-caliber player: Chase was a Parade All-American and was First-Team All West Virginia as a junior and senior. He isn't a Miles-caliber player, either, as Miles had a few high major and legit mid-major offers at the same point in time, and was renowned in one of the more basketball-rich places on Earth. Cavanaugh was a better prospect than all three, as he held offers from good high major and mid-major programs, and was considered to be a breakout player of the summer of 2011 by mainstream recruiting analysts at Scout and ESPN.)

Furthermore, if Green were to receive an extra year of eligibility, then he'd be a member of the Class of 2013, not 2014. That's anything, but certain, either way. Same with McClinton's status: signs point towards him coming back and playing.

Look at the scholarship chart on the front page:
2012: Devin/CMM/Bill/Tree/Madison/Tyler/Dre/Green
2013: Miles/Greg
2014: Shelton/Isaac/Rondale

That light at the end of the tunnel that your seeing is a future staff having to recruit +/- eight players in the summers of 2015 and 2016 (barring transfers, of course) with a core that includes:

-2 top-100 players (#73 and #77 RSCI)
-one wildcard in the Cam Stanley-vein (Greg)
-one wildcard in the Chase Fischer/Harvey Hale-vein (Miles)
-one wildcard in the Joe Dukes/Anthony Fields-vein (Rondale)

Since 1998, we have never had this little talent by the rankings.

The first RSCI composite rankings for the Class of 2014 on the basis of last winter and this summer. These rankings are a composite of Scout, Rivals, ESPN, Verbal Commits, PrepStars, and 247Sports.

Shelton Mitchell - #73
Isaac Haas - #77
Rondale Watson is unranked.

Similarly ranked point guards: Justin Gray (#64), Jeremy Ingram (#67), and Codi Miller-McIntyre (#77)

Similarly ranked big men: Carson Desrosiers (#66), David Weaver (#73), Kevin Swinton (#76), and Antawn Scott (#76).

(Now, we can thankfully lay to rest the ridiculous 247Sports composite and Shelton's strange tumble out of ESPN's rankings. I'll update these if they release an expanded - usually to 175 players - ranking in Spring 2014)

ETA: Matthew Fisher-Davis and Quadri Moore both ended up unranked. Robert Johnson finished up at #46 and Devin Mitchell landed at #92.

Last edited:
The light at the end of the tunnel is the runaway freight train of the ACC approaching us from the opposite direction. As they routinely get much better talent and have far superior coaching, they will continue to run over us and leave our program in the dust.

I'm not excited about anything relating to the basketball program and I'm Bzz out but I would like the opportunity to see rondale play before criticizing the staffs decision to offer him I saw Overton play this summer and he isn't athletic at all and didn't shoot very well either if rondale doesn't contribute more than chase, that will be sad . Chase wasn't close to being an ACC level athlete and couldn't get his shot off. I agree that the talent level is way down from where it should be. And I hope mclinton can contribute this year. Finally, since green won't play this year, would he be eligible to petition for s 6th year like a football player did a few years back? Green can clearly show that he hasn't been capable of playing by his MRI tests alone

The poop sheet (0ctober issue ) has an excellent analysis of the rondale Watson offer and issues regarding the roster in the future Very legitimate questions are raised

For its entire existence there are few businesses named as appropriately as The Poop Sheet.

The poop sheet (0ctober issue ) has an excellent analysis of the rondale Watson offer and issues regarding the roster in the future Very legitimate questions are raised

Issues such as an 8 man class?

Thanks for figuring that out, TITSWF. I guess these are legitimate issues, after all.

The two biggest reasons for his drop out of our top 100 is his lack of development in shooting and the play and productivity of others over that same time period, as evaluated by our staff.

In the Nike EYBL, for example, he shot 41 percent from the field and 20 percent on 3-pointers and 69 percent from the free-throw line. As a point guard, those are not good numbers. The mechanics on his jump shot need to be fixed. Combined with his excellent work ethic, he should solve the issue. On the other hand, he is committed to running a team and trying to make his teammates better, as his assist-to-turnover ratio was almost 2-1, which is a good start. Defensively we'd like to see him concentrate on keeping his man out of the lane with greater resistance.

For all of the grief that the recruiting analysts get on here, they call it like they see it... That's an important perspective that we oftentimes lose as hopeful fans, and that's a pretty big value-added IMO.

Thanks for figuring that out, TITSWF. I guess these are legitimate issues, after all.

For all of the grief that the recruiting analysts get on here, they call it like they see it... That's an important perspective that we oftentimes lose as hopeful fans, and that's a pretty big value-added IMO.

Most of you guys loved Ish and it sounds like Shelton shoots a lot better. Roughly 70 percent at the line is nothing to worry about, he's just starting his senior year of high school.

Most of you guys loved Ish and it sounds like Shelton shoots a lot better. Roughly 70 percent at the line is nothing to worry about, he's just starting his senior year of high school.

If you can't see the differences between Ish and Shelton from video clips, then I really don't know what to tell you.

If you can't see the differences between Ish and Shelton from video clips, then I really don't know what to tell you.

I am supposed to evaluate talent from a video clip? You realize those clips are edited right? Wait 'til he steps on campus.

I am supposed to evaluate talent from a video clip? You realize those clips are edited right? Wait 'til he steps on campus.

You realize that Ish is one of the quickest player, if not the quickest player, that we've had on campus in 15 years, right? Shelton is many things. Quick he is not.

I get that you're trolling, but the fact that some folks on here try to argue that the sky is green is ridiculous.

Back