• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Would it have been better to have never gotten involved with Giles?

Now we can wonder if D Manning dedicated all that time to a couple solid 4 stars instead of HG, would it have paid off with a better class.

If it means Danny would've focused on more recruits that are 4 or 5 stars that we had a realistic shot at & landed a few, yes. But who doesn't want Harry? He's the hometown guy. You've gotta go hard after him.

Seems like a waste of time. He just gave off the sense that it was always going to be duke. Dude played us and everyone else.

No. Then we would have been justifiably pissed for not even being in the conversation for Giles.

Definitely agree with the #sowakeforest crowd. And closing the book on Giles brings home how disappointing this class is. It's not like Giles is the only player who turned us down.

No. Then we would have been justifiably pissed for not even being in the conversation for Giles.

Definitely agree with the #sowakeforest crowd. And closing the book on Giles brings home how disappointing this class is. It's not like Giles is the only player who turned us down.
That last sentence hurts even more

The 2016 class was supposed to be the program-changing class. As it stands right now, on paper, it's approaching [Redacted]-level bad.

Coaches AND players sure did spend a lot of time and energy recruiting him. All for naught I suppose.

The coaches and players spent a lot of time and energy recruiting a lot of players who didn't verbal to Wake. That's the nature of rebuilding a program.

This was definitely Skip's downfall to whiffing on OCC.

I've never seen any indication Skip would have had a better class if he hadn't spent energy recruiting OCC.

Skip's problem was losing in the 2nd round with CP3. if he could have made a deep tourney run that year he would have been in so much better shape to get OCC.

That was the defining moment of the Prosser era where Wake could have really taken the next step.

Only in hindsight, which is super lame. It sucks that the outcome is going to be the same, but it matters that the direction of the program has seen such a huge shift from a coach going it alone on the mantra of 4 year players who fit some student-athlete ideal from the 70's to a coordinated effort of our NBA talent, our big name alumni, and a coach that understands the value of real talent - and it got us into the final 2 schools for the #1 recruit in the country.

Maybe we're not getting the leap forward Giles probably would have provided, but Manning has still only coached a single season at Wake. The Giles miss, painful though it may be, is still progress for a program that will take longer than a single year to clear the stench of the previous 7.

Only in hindsight, which is super lame. It sucks that the outcome is going to be the same, but it matters that the direction of the program has seen such a huge shift from a coach going it alone on the mantra of 4 year players who fit some student-athlete ideal from the 70's to a coordinated effort of our NBA talent, our big name alumni, and a coach that understands the value of real talent - and it got us into the final 2 schools for the #1 recruit in the country.

Maybe we're not getting the leap forward Giles probably would have provided, but Manning has still only coached a single season at Wake. The Giles miss, painful though it may be, is still progress for a program that will take longer than a single year to clear the stench of the previous 7.

Yes. Wellman is the real villain here.

I was really skeptical when we failed to land the kind of supporting cast in this class that I thought would be necessary, but then it seemed like several sources that usually wouldn't be pumping sunshine were saying we had a chance which gave me some hope. Oh well.

Manning is going to have to prove he can coach and develop talent.

Yes. Wellman is the real villain here.

Or was anyway. He's still in charge and there's been a 180 degree shift in approach.

At least it appears he can admit when he fucked up (in action, if not in words) and is letting Manning do his thing. I'm no fan of DC sports but it's much worse to be in a Dan Schneider situation when an owner/AD relentlessly imposes his own outdated and simplistic planning over modern, successful coaches.

I was really skeptical when we failed to land the kind of supporting cast in this class that I thought would be necessary, but then it seemed like several sources that usually wouldn't be pumping sunshine were saying we had a chance which gave me some hope. Oh well.

Manning is going to have to prove he can coach and develop talent.

This is part of the small time angle for me. Wake sources cannot be trusted in situations like this.

Back