• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Wright hurts. I really expected to get a visit out of him. Howland is a good recruiter. I still believe that if we could have gotten up to Winston Salem we would have had a good shot at him. Starkville is a pretty miserable place. But he did visit there during pledge weekend I think (Have seen a lot of pledging photos on social media from kids in my hometown). Wright probably had a REALLY good time.

I have been on board with DM. But is it possible he isn't a closer.
We weren't really even close with Wright. A lot of interesting quotes in this article. Lol at all the style of play/recruiting concerns when Howland was discussed during the coaching search.

http://mississippistate.247sports.c...r-star-Eli-Wright-talks-MSU-decision-38793287

"I've been to Mississippi State before and on this trip I wanted to see how the new staff was and how the program is," said Wright. "And everything lived up to my expectations. Actually, Florida and UConn were my favorites before I came on a visit to Mississippi State. I saw how friendly of an atmosphere it is here and everybody I saw was nice and friendly to me. Another big plus is Aric being here and he's my best friend. We've been wanting to play together since we were little. We did that in AAU ball but were not on the same team in high school. So it's great we will be college teammates."

"Really when I came down to Mississippi State today it just felt like the place for me," said the 6-foot-4 and 170-pound Wright. "I was sitting in the coaches' office and Coach Howland was telling me how he can develop me into the player I want to be. I believe in him and his background is special and he's proven it. Coach Korey (McCray) asked me if this was the place I wanted to be and I told him it was. Then Coach Howland gave me a big ol' hug and everyone was happy."

Woof.

Last edited:
A class of Chill, Washington, McEwen, Fernando, and Froling is one that I would be fine with. It won't rank high in rankings simply because McEwen, Fernando, and Froling all are underrated/unranked completely on some sites, but landing 3 4*'s is respectable even if it is lower than what our dream scenario was coming in. 6 4*'s in 2 classes after the Bz era is nothing to laugh at considering we haven't had a solid season in 5 years

247sports labeled us as favorites about two weeks ago. We weren't the only ones lacking sources

Wake signed a top-50 player almost every year before Wellman hired [Redacted].

Yet Kent's question is a fair one. Wellman may have permanently lowered expectations for Wake hoops.

"To go with coach Howland, Mississippi State had a secret weapon already on their campus. Wright's best friend -- Aric Holman -- will be a freshman at Mississippi State this coming season.
"Aric and I have been wanting to go to school together since we were little," Wright said. "Getting to go to school with my best friend is a great opportunity, plus everything else is just perfect."

Just let the process play out. But we absolutely could use a 4-star recruit here shortly.

Friends don't let friends go to LOWF.

The kiss of death is for us to named as the favorite on the 247 board.

Hold up. When people are saying Wake is the favorite on 247, are they getting that info from Deman?

I don't know how 247 updates those things, but for about a week if you went on Eli Wright's 247 page or Wake's 2016 target page it said "Eli Wright names Wake favorite". That may be boilerplate and I don't know who makes those calls.

A class of Chill, Washington, McEwen, Fernando, and Froling is one that I would be fine with. It won't rank high in rankings simply because McEwen, Fernando, and Froling all are underrated/unranked completely on some sites, but landing 3 4*'s is respectable even if it is lower than what our dream scenario was coming in. 6 4*'s in 2 classes after the Bz era is nothing to laugh at considering we haven't had a solid season in 5 years
We're still a long, long way away from getting commitments from all 3 of those guys. Let's just make Froling's top 5 first. I mean, we were labeling Wright as our top SG target, and now we learn we really weren't even close on him.

Last edited:
Today has been rough on the recruiting trail but i have full confidence in Manning!

I would have loved to have gotten Wright, but I think we're selling Woods short. He was fairly well ranked out of high school - just behind Fisher-Davis and Mitchell (both of whom we wanted rather badly) according to Scout and had a strong Freshman year (shot better than any of our current wings - from 2 and from 3). With him and Wilbekin at the two and McLinton, Hudson and Washington at the 3 we'll probably be fine. What we desperately need is a big or two as all we have for 16/17 are Mitiglou (if he stays) Collins and Moore. And a little more winning also wouldn't hurt the recruiting results.

Let's be frank. Without Mcewen this class is a Manning fail. Of course Giles heals all but that seems very unrealistic. Any other conclusion about this class makes no sense.

I would have loved to have gotten Wright, but I think we're selling Woods short. He was fairly well ranked out of high school - just behind Fisher-Davis and Mitchell (both of whom we wanted rather badly) according to Scout and had a strong Freshman year (shot better than any of our current wings - from 2 and from 3). With him and Wilbekin at the two and McLinton, Hudson and Washington at the 3 we'll probably be fine. What we desperately need is a big or two as all we have for 16/17 are Mitiglou (if he stays) Collins and Moore. And a little more winning also wouldn't hurt the recruiting results.

You mean Manning is selling Woods short. We aren't the ones aggressively recruiting a SG.

Woods and Wright/McEwan are different types of players. We really need a Wright/McEwan type on the team ie. we really need McEwan now.

Back