• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

The seven posts you'll read on a Wake Forest recruiting thread:

1) The facepainter

Armed with nothing but Twitter, YouTube, and more free time than any self-respecting human should have, these posts are the currency with which contemporary recruiting threads trade. Finding highlight videos against middle school teams, indecipherable Twitter convos that aren't actually about basketball or Wake Forest: "ayeeeeee fam we out here doe" which turn into "but if you count, there are 21 characters, which was Tim Duncan's number which really makes you think."

2) The speculation

In between real information and semi-real information, there's a huge void to fill. This is where points 2-6 come in.

"Ok so hear me out if we got Tyler Lewis and we still had Dino and it was the 12-13 season..."
"But if we get Giles, we can put Dinos at the 2 on offense and Giles can play inside-out."

3) The comparisons

Mostly nonsensical, borrowing largely from the speculation posts, these draw largely from late 90s/early 2000s Wake players with the occasional arcane reference no one really gets.

"He's like a right-handed Taron Downey, but quicker."
"He's like freshman year Robert O'Kelley meets senior year Broderick Hicks."
"He's the white Skip Brown, except Asian."

4) The animated gif

This is a handful of posters that are bored at work for the most part, but every so often, if there's a whiff of something happening, you'll know about it in gif format.

5) The outright hateful

Every once in a while, someone who is way too cool for the internet and you in particular comes along and just opens up his butt cheeks and shits all over everything. There's literally no viewpoint that can't be made fun of, whether that's conjecture, analysis, or indisputable fact, you can expect an over-the-top barrage apropos of nothing every month or so.

6) The "I'm too busy"

This makes up approximately 10% of all recruiting posts. It's "I'm too busy to scroll through the past 30 pages/10 pages of gifs/3 posts, but can you tell me exactly the tiny bit of information it'd take me 45 seconds to find out myself? My time is far more valuable than yours, I'm a lawyer. Thanks."

7) The informative

This is the rarest of all posts on recruiting threads. Like a hot Duke cheerleader or a wfu22fan post you agree with, these posts are cherished by the community and fodder for post types 1-6 for the remainder of recruiting periods.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to consult this handy post chart any time you need to characterize another recruiting thread post.

Amazing

I personally have no problem with Dukeson posting on here as he has been polite and reasonable for the most part. It is understandable for some to get irritated with our biggest competitor for Giles telling us why they will get him but it is just an opinion just like ours. Most likely Giles will end up at Duke because of the recent tradition they have developed with Coach K but I can tell you I would not want to play for the guy as I don't like his "style", but I am not an 18 year old kid who is going to be the top pick in the NBA either.

true, but quite ironic given how Wake (and all other fans) are treated at The Dork's Den

He's a good basketball coach, and by all accounts a good human. It's easy to dislike him because he's the figurehead of every geeky, costumed, mouth breathing, bandwagon dook fan.

And also, I'm scared of vampires. And old guys who dye their hair.

FWIW, a friend was an ACC ref for years and said Coach K had the dirtiest mouth of anybody.

FWIW, a friend was an ACC ref for years and said Coach K had the dirtiest mouth of anybody.

K does have a foul mouth. I've sat behind Wake bench in Cameron multiple times, and you can hear K cussing to/at players, assistant and refs the entire game. The F bomb is his favorite word. Not that cussing makes someone a lesser person but he isn't the "class act" that the common fan perceives him to be.

Forget K's foul mouth, starting the football thug against Chris Paul and knocking him hard to the floor three times in first minute and a half of the game (injuring him) was all I needed see about K's "character."

not to mention the players like dauntay jones that would pull stuff like dunk and fall down on the uva kid and, while on top of him, do push ups. boozer hip checking hicks into the scorers table etc. he may be saintly off the court but on the court all he cares about is winning and he and his players will do whatever they can to win and whatever they want when winning.

i can respect that drive. i don't respect some of the bush league stuff that he has let some of his players get away with. then again we've had a few of our own.

Forget K's foul mouth, starting the football thug against Chris Paul and knocking him hard to the floor three times in first minute and a half of the game (injuring him) was all I needed see about K's "character."

I agree that was a classless move designed to get into CP3's head, but your description is also a bit of revisionist history. Davidson only picked up 2 fouls and he didn't knock CP3 down a single time in picking those up. Definitely played him really rough and probably got in his head a bit, but Paul still finished with 27 points in that game.

If Coach K just embraced his asshole/ultra competitive side like Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bob Knight, etc. then he wouldn't be so hateable. But the fact the he preaches about ethics and tries to make himself seem better than everybody else while being a complete wad on the court just makes me want to punch him in the face

If Coach K just embraced his asshole/ultra competitive side like Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bob Knight, etc. then he wouldn't be so hateable. But the fact the he preaches about ethics and tries to make himself seem better than everybody else while being a complete wad on the court just makes me want to punch him in the face

This

Harry is going to be just fine with any of his final picks (except maybe the Tarheels if they get slammed by the NCAA during his one year there.)

UNC extended the timeline by self-reporting soccer violations to prevent that from being a possibility. They're hoping to "win" one last title before they have the take all the banners down.

Last edited:
BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16-Samuel Japhet-Mathias commits! Waiting for Giles...

Have you ever read his lips when the camera is on him after a "bad" call? He uses words that shouldn't be said around women and children.

I have sat very close to the dook bench a few times and heard him use the same language on his team.

And he spits when he screams.

Davidson wasn't a football player, just a regular walk-on.

He does swear a lot, no debate there. I guess when you're a Knight protégé from chicago/west-point, that's to be expected.

K does have a foul mouth. I've sat behind Wake bench in Cameron multiple times, and you can hear K cussing to/at players, assistant and refs the entire game. The F bomb is his favorite word. Not that cussing makes someone a lesser person but he isn't the "class act" that the common fan perceives him to be.

Oh demonio diaconio where are thou.

This is it. Similar to "The Carolina Way" pre-scandal.

Kind of a pipe dream and doesn't belong on crootin' thread, but how awesome would it be if it came out that K has been cheating his entire career at Duke and they are stripped of every win the past 30+ years? That's a world I want to live in.

Strongly disagree with disparaging Coach K right there. The man has been to 12 final fours, I think that speaks for itself. Has some talented teams we've had fail to make it? Yes, but you can say that about any school and coach, though. Sean Miller's had a ton of talent and not a final four to speak of, I think that's much more damning. Even Calipari failed to get to the final four on a team that had John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins. But Coach K has proven he can take a team of freshman and win a national championship with them. I don't think there's any legitimate way to attack him from that angle and if Harry chooses to attend somewhere other than Duke I doubt it will have anything remotely to do with anything related to Coach K's coaching acumen.

VCU, Lehigh, Mercer: first round losses in the past 10 years with rosters filled ( as always) with burger boys . Quit on his team when it sucked and gave all the losses to Gaudet. Refuses to play tough non- conference games on an opponent's home floor. Fuck Coach K.

Last edited:
coach-k-pass-out_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

Back