• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

He wasn’t destined for stardom but it’s nuts to argue that he shouldn’t have played more or that Manning wouldn’t have a significantly worse record without him.

Agreed, though the former is overstated (it’s not nuts to argue he should have played 18-22 mpg vs 30mpg).

I don’t know anybody who has said he should have played 30. Just significantly more than 14 or 15. 22-24 was probably the sweet spot.

I don’t know anybody who has said he should have played 30. Just significantly more than 14 or 15. 22-24 was probably the sweet spot.

Some of freshman John Collins limited minutes were a result of multiple fouls in short period of time. He committed fouls at about twice the rate Devin Thomas, with whom he competed for minutes, did. Danny kept him on a short leash to avoid "mangler" labeling.

And that myth was debunked several months ago when I broke down how many games he played under 20 minutes despite having four or fewer fouls (or something like that).

john collins didn't play much as a freshman because danny is not a good head coach

JC didn't play as many minutes as a frosh due his committing too many fouls and having two experienced players at his positions. Further, there was another frosh who got some of those minutes.

There are reasons to challenge Danny. This isn't one of them.

JC didn't play as many minutes as a frosh due his committing too many fouls and having two experienced players at his positions. Further, there was another frosh who got some of those minutes.

There are reasons to challenge Danny. This isn't one of them.

Bullshit. JC was the best player on the team as a freshman. He sat on the bench watching DT with a towel over his head most of the time. If you are a good coach, you get him on the floor. You find a way.

Bullshit. JC was the best player on the team as a freshman. He sat on the bench watching DT with a towel over his head most of the time. If you are a good coach, you get him on the floor. You find a way.

You be's wrong. He may have technically been the most talented guy on the floor but production is not just talent - it is also experience + other stuff. And he in fact DID have a hard time staying on the floor due to fouls, especially when matched up against talented experienced guys. The idea, I think, was to match him up as much as possible against either talented green guys or journeymen experienced guys so he wouldn't foul out in 5 minutes.

Again, you be's wrong. RJ be's right. I bet that smarts.

#successing

Sure. Fine. Doesn’t support the argument that Manning held back JC’s development or was somehow “lucky” for the results he got during JC’s sophomore year.

Sure. Fine. Doesn’t support the argument that Manning held back JC’s development or was somehow “lucky” for the results he got during JC’s sophomore year.

There has to be another place where y'all can have this conversation.

Wow, we’re really doing this again.
I mean, you kinda have to expect it when it's July 30th, and we haven't heard news that we have a legit (LEGIT) shot at a good 2019 recruit in months (heck, maybe ever).

Man, a coach develops a 3-star player into almost ACC POY as a sophomore and a lottery pick and people on here say the coach botched it.

Truly stunning.

Wow. Holy revisionist history here.

He was behind the ACC's active leader in total rebounds and double double games (Devin Thomas), a three year starter who was coming off a junior season where he averaged 12 and 9. Pretty difficult to sit a senior double double machine. Devin went on to average 15 and 10 as a senior. Devin was also a decent post defender who fouled at about half the rate Collins did that season.

JC got 14 min per game as a freshman. He was 0-0 from three as a frosh. So you can't put him at the four very long when your offense includes having a three point threat at the four (Dinos Mitiglou).

Fellow freshman Doral Moore was getting about 7 min per game, and averaging about the same in points per minute as JC. In ACC games Moore and Collins had nearly the same rebound average - 3.2 for Collins, 2.9 for Moore, even though Collins played twice the minutes Moore did.

Where were more minutes for Collins going to come from?

Collins was a much improved player his sophomore year. But let's not confuse freshman 3* recruit John Collins with end of sophomore year and NBA first round pick John Collins.

Man, just looked at the 2019 recruiting rankings for the first time in months. Enfield and Hot Wife are cleaning up. As of now, USC has from the ESPN 100:

Last edited:
I mean, you kinda have to expect it when it's July 30th, and we haven't heard news that we have a legit (LEGIT) shot at a good 2019 recruit in months (heck, maybe ever).

Yep. We'd love to be talking about recruiting on a recruiting thread.

On July 31 last year:

Word on the street is Hoard is a lock to Wake.

Back