• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Neath suffered injuries for the bulk of 2018 and didn't attend showcases to really boost his ranking by the major scouting services in the summer, which is pretty vital for a Canadian kid who is typically out of the spotlight until much later in the process (Unless you're an RJ Barrett). He's ranked 5th in Canada for 2019 by NPH, right behind Tyrese Samuel, who I think almost everyone on this board would want.

Here was the Top 5 Canadian prospects for 2018: RJ Barrett 5* (Duke), Simi Shittu 5* (Vandy), Andrew Nembhard 5* (UF), Jaelin Llewellyn 4* (Princeton), and Luguentz Dort 4* (ASU). Dort was actually rated Top 30 and was ranked as high as Chaundee on 247. Personally think Wake landing him at this stage would be an awesome pickup given everything I've seen and heard.

24/7 calculator shows we’d go from #11 2019 class in the ACC to #8 with a Neath commit.

I think he’s a good get. Top 150ish player.

Still need a big that could get minutes from day one, which seems unlikely.

24/7 calculator shows we’d go from #11 2019 class in the ACC to #8 with a Neath commit.

I think he’s a good get. Top 150ish player.

Still need a big that could get minutes from day one, which seems unlikely.

Bilau will be your next big

Per 247 Bilau has a nice offer sheet. Look at Manning stringing together a makeshift 2019 class that may just end up working.

That was acceptable for year 1 (and it actually ended up working quite well compared to the rankings); it’s not acceptable for year 5. Every class at Wake should either have a 5 star recruit or multiple top 100 guys in it.

Bilau will be your next big

Jumping Josaphat!

Manning's identifying some guys that have potential but are a bit off the radar for a variety of reasons, i.e. injury or international. Hopefully some work out.

Every single one of these guys looks really athletic though. Ody, Neath, Bilau. Massoud appears to be the smoothest shooter out of the bunch but perhaps a touch less athletic.

And it's not everyday that you can research a recruit, open up a euroleague page, and see an advertisement for the No. 1 Croissant in the Country.

Last edited:
Per 247 Bilau has a nice offer sheet. Look at Manning stringing together a makeshift 2019 class that may just end up working.
Ever the optimist.

Define working. Do you see this class, along with Manning's coaching, resulting in at least a Top 25 ranking? If not, it's not working. Do you see this class resulting in a better team than Manning's previous best? Do you see this class being the foundation of consistent success? Or even sticking around for more than 2 years?

Stop redefining success. Stringing together a class with backup to backup offers in Y5 and hoping to sneak into the tournament like some podunk mid major is not working. It's failing, miserably.

Last edited:
That was acceptable for year 1 (and it actually ended up working quite well compared to the rankings); it’s not acceptable for year 5. Every class at Wake should either have a 5 star recruit or multiple top 100 guys in it.
I mean, damn, RChill and I are on the same page here Creamy.

So far the 2019 class looks like some nice complementary pieces, but at the moment is lacking a centerpiece.

So far the 2019 class looks like some nice complementary pieces, but at the moment is lacking a centerpiece.
Ehh. No. We have commits ranked 123 and 366.

Neath is 152 (though he doesn't actually show a Composite rating on his profile page) and Bilau doesn't have a ranking. We have a class full of longshots and maybes.

Last edited:

Thank you

When is the last time that Wake had back to back top ten recruiting basketball classes in the ACC?

When is the last time that Wake had back to back top ten recruiting basketball classes in the ACC?

According to 247, going back as far as they have data, we had Top 10 ACC classes in:

2003: 4
2006: 5
2007: 5
2008: 4
2010: 8
2012: 5
2015: 6
2016: 9
2017: 8
2018: 4

So, if this class ends up Top 10 ACC, it will be 5 years running during Manning's tenure. Conclusion: Top 10 ACC is meaningless.

Last edited:
Plenty of areas to criticize Manning - finding quality 3 stars is not one of them. He's done a handful of things to earn respect as a 2nd tier recruiter:

* Identified and offered 2star and 3star kids only to lose them as they explode into high 4star talent with blue blood offers (this is not necessarily a positive - hooray, he can do the grunt work for VTech, Duke, etc...)
* Identified and offered int'l talent that have proven to be ACC level talent (e.g., Sarr)
* Won a nice 3star talent and developed him into a lottery pick
* Offered similar inti'l talent and 3star kids that proved to be in over their heads and not ACC level talent (SJM, Most likely Rich Wash, etc.)
* Identified 4star talent and hung on to them (Mucius, Hoard, Brown)

I don't find Manning to have a recruiting strategy he can hang his hat on. He overextends and tries to go at Duke, Kentucky, UNC for certain recruits (great), but in a haphazard way so far as I can tell. He has attempted to augment potential one and done talent with 4 year players to no great effect. Childress is probably our lone exception in Manning's tenure and he hardly counts as his father is an assistant and he was best buds with our top target in his class. Our 4 year players have underachieved, overachieved and become lottery picks or transferred out. Except Chill. McClinton I believe graduated so maybe include him.

Now that Manning has finally found himself on the hotseat with the Nestor hire, last years porous defense and the departure of players who would have stayed in a positive environment, he can really look no further than his all over the place recruitment strategy. He failed to do the research to find how one starts and progresses in recruiting in a power 5 conference. he could have walked down the hall and talked to Clawson. He could have reached out Prosser assistants; he could have studied Villanova or called up John Thompson and asked him how it was when he started at Georgetown. He appeared to do none of those things. He is a grinder and seems to believe only in grinding. The problem with grinding is that it is an ideal attribute for a coal miner, a 3rd and 4th option player on the court, not the head cheese. The head cheese needs to have a 1-year, 2-year, 5-year strategy that they constantly are tinkering with as things happen. Manning is a reactor. That will be the post mortem on him IMO.

All that said, it is quite possible he has stumbled on a collection of transfers and newcomers who actually like each other alot and the positive atmosphere has simply happened outside Manning's control. I do think Manning is a learner. He can learn. So maybe he can figure out what is happening before him that is positive and dynamic. Maybe he can replicate it as he moves into our 2020 recruiting class.

I do think there might be life in him yet. By that I mean it is quite fucking possible, and I am predicting, that we wildly overachieve this year (18 wins?) and he earns another year which means he has to have a fucking strategy for a 2020 class that assumes a core of Mucius, Brown, Wright, Massoud, and Ody. That's it.

Last edited:
According to 247, going back as far as they have data, we had Top 10 ACC classes in:

2003: 4
2006: 5
2007: 5
2008: 4
2010: 8
2012: 5
2015: 6
2016: 9
2017: 8
2018: 4

So, if this class ends up Top 10 ACC, it will be 5 years running during Manning's tenure. Conclusion: Top 10 ACC is meaningless.

Sadly we just crossed the 10,000 post mark in this thread. And after all of that discussion, this is pretty much our only conclusion.

Back