• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ben Howland or Michael White

Howland or White

• Total voters

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
If it comes down to these two guys as our best options who would you rather have. Some info:

Ben Howland took Northern Arizona to the NIT and the NCAA, took Pitt to the Sweet Sixteen twice, and took UCLA to three consecutive Final Fours. He's 56 years old.

Michael White has never been to the NCAA tournament but in his three years as a head coach he has taken Louisiana Tech to the NIT twice. He's 37 years old.

NEITHER!!!

We have to do better.

BTW FUCK Ben Howland!! If he wasn't so fucking irrational greedy, he'd be the Marquette coach already and we'd have Shaka.

I'm not sure I'm on board with the idea of an up and cummer.

Thanks, BSF. Not sure I found these candidates and their statzzz while sifting through the other coaching threads.

NEITHER!!!

We have to do better.

BTW FUCK Ben Howland!! If he wasn't so fucking irrational greedy, he'd be the Marquette coach already and we'd have Shaka.

NEITHER!!!

We have to do better.

MILLENIAL FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!

Howland 10 times over. The vast majority of our fan base (read: the ones who don't worship at the altar of KenPom) would have a WTF moment if we hired White.

Thanks for providing the objective info, BSF!

Mike White does have LT ranked higher in KP this year (35th overall) than any of Howland's last four teams at UCLA (120, 53, 55, 45). I think that's pretty good. #WhiteIN

Howland 10 times over. The vast majority of our fan base (read: the ones who don't worship at the altar of KenPom) would have a WTF moment if we hired White.

I don't worship KP but do like it to look at directional trends. What MIKE WHITE has done at La Tech is pretty amazing. I really think he could be an elite coach.

Howland but I wouldn't have any issue with White, provided that all of the Tier 1 coaches and Miller are out of the picture first.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/bottom10120215/bottom-10-coaching-edition

Sweet, we can move from 3rd worst to 10th worst

10. Ben Howland, UCLA

Offense: An utter mess
Bottom 10 judgment: "Highway 61 Revisited." This is still the same coach that went to three straight Final Fours, right? There isn't some "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" stuff going on here, is there? No? Right. It's difficult to fathom the depths Howland and his Bruins have sunk to in his ninth year at the program, mostly because Howland had such a splendid run from 2006 to 2008. This season began with a Top 25 ranking and the preseason nod to win the Pac-12, but it wasn't long until forward Reeves Nelson -- the Bruins' best player last season -- was suspended and reinstated and suspended and finally dismissed for various conduct issues, all before the second week of December.

Since then, the Bruins have never quite recovered, never made any sort of late-season push, never really come together. A 14-11 overall record in a bad Pac-12 might be enough to keep, say, Craig Robinson safe, but the folks in Westwood rightfully expect much more, and it's been no surprise to see fans vocally abandon their once-loved coach as this disaster of a season wears on. It's doubtful UCLA will pull the trigger on Howland this offseason, not after a year spent taxiing between "home" venues while Pauley Pavilion undergoes renovation. But the Bruins' messy start and subsequent mediocrity has been downright baffling to observe both up close and from afar.

3. Jeff [Redacted], Wake Forest

Offense: The perils of progress
Bottom 10 judgment: "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right." Wake Forest has already won three more games than it did last season, one of the worst in program history. And before the season is out, the Demon Deacons may just win a few more. In a vacuum, that's a sign of progress. Besides, it's always too early to evaluate a coach after just two seasons. Jeff [Redacted] deserves time and space to build his program in his own image, and all that. Granted. But here's the thing: When [Redacted] was hired in 2010, he replaced Dino Gaudio, a coach who had overseen the program's rise to a No. 1 ranking in 2009 and a 44-18 record in two seasons. Sure, Gaudio's teams finished poorly, but they were more than competitive. Still, Wake AD Ron Wellman fired Gaudio after just three seasons at the helm and quickly installed [Redacted], despite the former Colorado coach's 36-58 record in his three previous seasons.

Two seasons later, Wake is alone in last place in the ACC -- again. The Demon Deacons have now lost six in a row and nine of their last 10, including a 20-point home drubbing to Clemson on Saturday. If Wake Forest wins its last five ACC games (which, hint, ain't happenin'), [Redacted] would reach 24 total wins at the school -- as many as Gaudio had in 2009 alone. It's too early to write a memorandum on [Redacted]'s tenure yet. He's the coach now, and he deserves more time. Even so, Wake's proud, hungry fans must agree that Gaudio deserved much the same.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/19767908/critical-coaches-who-is-perceived-to-be-the-biggest-cheater-in-the-sport

Cool, he has the rep of being a cheater too! How neat.

The question: Who is perceived by college coaches to be the biggest cheater in the sport?

John Calipari (Kentucky): 36 percent
Scott Drew (Baylor): 34 percent
Ben Howland (UCLA): 12 percent

Jim Calhoun (Connecticut): 7 percent
Tom Crean (Indiana): 3 percent
Dave Rice (UNLV): 3 percent

Last edited:
Somebody posted a link a couple of weeks ago to the Sports Illustrated article about how the UCLA program began to decline under Howland. I believe it was from April 2012. I think Howland has some questions to answer, particularly the allegations that he allowed Reeves Nelson to get away with bullying teammates since " he's producing" stats on the court and that he basically let the players do what they wanted outside the gym. Also, the allegations that he basically only interacted with the players at practices and games and didn't really take care of them or take interest in them raised some red flags for me. I know that the story was told more from the players pov than Howland's, but it left me thinking that Howland is not the best fit for Wake Forest.

For the purpose of this thread, I'm obviously voting White, but I would also vote Shaka, Marshall, Wright, Amaker, Mack, Masiello, and Lonergan ahead of Howland at this point.

Back