• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Players Who Should Have Played in the ACC

tagsfan

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on which players could have likely been in the ACC but for twists of fate, bad karma, or similar things. I started thinking about this when the coincidence of both NCSU and LSU looking for new coaches this year struck me. Pistol Pete Maravich obviously belongs on this list. Steph Curry too. Who else? Great back-stories appreciated.

Dominique Wilkins. Georgia bought him a car.

How about the two we thought Wake had- Lew Alcindor and Artis Gilmore.

Last edited:
Kevin Garnett. From Greenville, SC. Didn't do so good on the SAT. Decided to take the NBA money. Might have gone to Maryland, but I don't know how that would have worked with Joe Smith.

Danny Manning chose between Kansas and UNC-CH. Wanted his parents to be able to see him play.

I remember hearing about G David Odom going to an international youth tournament and trying to recruit some German kid named Nowitzki. The kid decided not to go to college. Too bad.

I remember reading Jermaine O'Neal was likely going to Clemson but didn't have SAT score. On his last try he went to the wrong school to take it. Obv didn't qualify.

How about the two we thought Wake had- Lew Alcindor and Artis Gilmore.

All the stories I read on Alcindor was it came down to Holy Cross, who hired his HS coach Jack Donohue and UCLA. AIR, he visited HC late but ultimately chose John Wooden and the Bruins.

Moses Malone from Petersburg, VA enrolled at MD, and then before the season started the Utah Stars of the ABA signed him.

David Robinson is from VA. Not considered a high D-1 player, but he grew 5 inches after committing to Navy.

Off topic, but I took the SAT in St. Louis the weekend the McDonalds All American game was in town. Vince Carter, Garnett and a couple of other players in the game who I can't remember were there on the Saturday morning to take a last shot at the test. I was seated alphabetically next to Garnett, who feel asleep during at least two portions of the test. Needless to say, he skipped college.

Kevin Garnett. From Greenville, SC. Didn't do so good on the SAT. Decided to take the NBA money. Might have gone to Maryland, but I don't know how that would have worked with Joe Smith.

Well that and the pending lynching charges against him that he ran away from to that prep school in Illinois.

I saw his Fox Sports South biography show or whatever it was called. I know things.

All the stories I read on Alcindor was it came down to Holy Cross, who hired his HS coach Jack Donohue and UCLA. AIR, he visited HC late but ultimately chose John Wooden and the Bruins.

There were stories about Alcindor being close to Bones. Of course the worst was our AD's vote keeping us from getting Gilmore. A Gilmore, Charlie, McGregor team could have been a national powerhouse.

Well that and the pending lynching charges against him that he ran away from to that prep school in Illinois.

I saw his Fox Sports South biography show or whatever it was called. I know things.

KG played public school ball in Chicago.

Not sure how Jaylen Brown made it to Cal. I also wonder how GT missed on Jae Crowder, though, so did everyone.

Back