• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best wine for under $40

Torbreck Woodcutters Shiraz is a good wine for around $20-25.

A wine I bought recently that was $62 is the Cherry Pie Pinot Noir. It was fantastic. A HUGE pinot, very different from the Burgundy style pinots. If you can find it, get it.

I actually went with a 2005 Reserva Ruffino Chianti Ducale Gold label as I am a fan of the Ruffino brand. While there I did pick up a bottle of the Benton Lane Pinot and had it last night. It was very amazing!

The dinner I went to Friday, the guy had all the different wine from Orin Swift (4 whites and 3 reds) over a 7 course dinner. Needless to say my taste buds were gone by the time wine #7 rolled around, but it was a great experience.

Alright wine nerds, what have we had recently that either qualifies for the $40 and under or just good value/delicious wine?

On the natural front in the New England area, Oyster River Winery out of Maine is making delicious & fresh wine on an annual basis. The two biggest hits for me are the Morphos (made from local indigenous varieties from Maine) and the Morphos rose (sourced Merlot from Long Island). Both should be avaiable in the $20-30 range - used to be the same price but a wind storm sheared open a tank from the rose and they lost a substantial amount of their wine so the price went up.

In Italy the Casamatta (Bibi Graetz entry level sangiovese) should go for about $20 and is fantastic. Red cherry notes, medium body, savory finish. Out of Rioja most of Senoria de Pecina stuff is under $40 and like a lot of Rioja the recent release dates back 6+ years. The 2015 Crianza should be around for $20-25 across the board.

Also a little higher but had the 2017 Racines Sta. Rita HIlls Chardonnay in the last week (should be around $45) and it checked off all the marks for me without being heavyhanded on the creamy/buttery texture - golden apples and pear shines through with some lemon curd but still a round, balanced finish/

Finally, got hands on a 375 of the Billecart Salmon NV Rose Champagne and it's one of the better Rose Champagnes I've had even under $150 for a 750. With these being somewhat tough to find in local shops, may be worth while to get online if you can but if you get the chance to try this you definitely should. Candied strawberry, red cherry, FRESH fruit, light bubbles, and just a touch of sweetness.

Just been getting into wine this year and feel very fortunate to have local Washington State stuff everywhere. Snagged a 2022 Woodinville wine pass for $75 and have already done around 18 tastings on it. Need to hit a few more spots before the holidays.

Have you made it over to DeLille Cellars? Their Cheleur Blanc is one of the better white Bordeaux blends I've had period - especially for the price and the location.

Have you made it over to DeLille Cellars? Their Cheleur Blanc is one of the better white Bordeaux blends I've had period - especially for the price and the location.

Haven't been there but it's on the pass. Unfortunately, they only offer pass tastings M-Th, which is dumb.

I'll try whites but I'm 95% a reds guy these days.

I guess that's to maximize on the weekend crowds? Seems a bit odd but I guessd makes sense for folks coming into town v. folks who are more likely to be local and get the pass?

Yeah, anyway, currently sitting on a 2019 Tempranillo from Cave B Estates (Columbia Valley, WA) that I'm looking forward to.

Opened a magnum yesterday of 2020 Susucaru Rosso which was a gift from my last boss and it was delicious. Notable natural barnyard funk that kind of blew off after a while and then tart but ripe red fruit with notable minerality. I've never been that into the whole Frank Cornelissen/Action Bronson cult following for this wine (mainly because it just drove the price up more than I thought it was worth) but admittedly this was great. Easy sipper and great with pasta for dinner.

I was just in Sicily this past summer and I have never heard of Susucaru Rossa until this post. Looks like I missed an opportunity.

Here in the US, I visited Bacigalupi Vineyard near Healdsburg a few weeks ago and sampled their Zin, which was fantastic. Lighter than a traditional Zin leaning more raspberry than darker fruit, but still with a nice spice finish. Also a very good Petite Sirah. Zin is under $40 and Petite Sirah under $50.

I was just in Sicily this past summer and I have never heard of Susucaru Rossa until this post. Looks like I missed an opportunity.

Here in the US, I visited Bacigalupi Vineyard near Healdsburg a few weeks ago and sampled their Zin, which was fantastic. Lighter than a traditional Zin leaning more raspberry than darker fruit, but still with a nice spice finish. Also a very good Petite Sirah. Zin is under $40 and Petite Sirah under $50.
Yeah I'm not really sure what the domestic Sicilian market is for Susucaru as I kinda view it as a pitch to American type commercialization but maybe it's also popular there? Sicily is definitely a spot I'd like to get to in the next few years. The wine scene there is skyrocketing popularity wise. If you get a chance to pick up any Nerello from Terre Nere, it's well worth it.

Back