• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

I really like Bill Simmons, but much like characters on shows that run too long, he has become a caricature of himself. I hope this chinks his ego a bit, and he gets back to being a good balance of fan and historian in his pieces that he will, hopefully, start writing again. In terms of the podcast, it has not slid as much as the other platforms. However, my hope is the check by HBO helps him stick to what he is good at in terms of commentary: history and ambiance of an event or era.

I've subscribed to his podcast from the beginning, but never saw 1 second of his TV show. That is just not something I'm interested in watching.

I liked the TV show. I thought he did a good job of bringing in guests and letting them be the star. I guess I'm one of the 80,000 people sad to see it go.

i felt once he switched format and had specific things like "Winners and Losers" and "Mailbag" it got better. :noidea:

Yeah, I thought it was getting better, too, but it was never a must-watch for me.

Given my own career, I can't believe I'm saying this, but sometimes you have to stay in your lane. Columns and podcasts seem to be in there. TV is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought it was getting better, too, but it was never a must-watch for me.

Given my own career, I can't believe I'm saying this, but sometimes you have to stay in your lane. Columns and podcasts seem to be in there. TV is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITT a black actor typecast a media personality. #knowyourrole

I was the biggest simmons fanboy forever, I don't bother checking out the ringer, I think its awful, and haven't listened to a podcast in 6 months. Don't have time for podcasts after discovering lebatard.

So I work at an architecture firm, and we just moved offices after labor day. We spent something like $4 mil on it and our own staff hens spent the better part of a year designing everything, including like $500k for adjustable desks for everyone in the office. Perhaps my favorite lebatard moment was 10 days after moving listening to this and then sending an all office email with a link to the below that simply said "the 1:00 mark"

It did not go over well in certain hen circles.

I think I could create a better website with my friends than the Ringer. And I think I would create a very shitty website

HE'S PITTSBURGH'S MOST ADORABLE TRIPLE-THREAT!!!

Kordell_Stewart_Pittsburgh_Steelers_rookie_card.jpg

Saying he sucks at TV is a little harsh. He might suck at being on TV, but lets not forget that he started, and won an emmy for 30 for 30. Some of those have been great. It sounds like HBO is keeping him on to keep producing sports docs.

Ringer is getting better. They opened with all these buzzfeed style 300 word articles that were meant to be read on mobile. No one gives a shit about that in the sports world, and if they do deadspin has it locked up.

They have been running some long reads recently that track the in depth content that Grantland used to produce, and those are wayy better. Lets hope that is the continued direction.

This article about the death of movies was pretty good.

https://theringer.com/movie-industry-shifts-peak-tv-arrival-moonlight-f0a5ddd85384#.gubq0kna9

Simmons excels at providing the fan perspective. People want to read that. I don't think they want to see it on TV. People like to see athletes and former athletes talking to skilled anchors and sportscasters.

If he was a fan of teams from any other city than Boston, he wouldn't get a third of the shit he gets. It made him endearing 15 years ago, now it makes him polarizing. You can't bitch about the league if your team has the best QB/Coach combination of all time. Browns fans don't want to hear Patriots fans complain about being targeted by the league.

You also can't have a show that will occasionally air against a game like the Cubs-Indians game 7, have people skip it, then when everyone wakes up next morning to catch it there's no mention of the biggest game of the year. "I know everyone enjoyed that baseball game, but here's Bill Burr and Gretsky to talk about hockey." Just seemed antiquated by a guy that's made his living off being innovative.

Last edited:
So I work at an architecture firm, and we just moved offices after labor day. We spent something like $4 mil on it and our own staff hens spent the better part of a year designing everything, including like $500k for adjustable desks for everyone in the office. Perhaps my favorite lebatard moment was 10 days after moving listening to this and then sending an all office email with a link to the below that simply said "the 1:00 mark"

It did not go over well in certain hen circles.

As someone who stands 100% of the time at work, this is hilarious.

Back