• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

I find it very frustrating how there never seems to be any pushback or consequences from liberals and social justice advocates for corporations that so blatantly cheapen and pervert social justice concerns like this. If you are at all concerned with the political progress of racial and social justice causes, then you also have to be concerned with insidious capitalist forces parasitically undermining those causes - https://www.propublica.org/article/turbotax-intuit-black-taxpayers-irs-free-file-marketing

Liberals never have to answer for the failures of their ideology. There’s never a structural critique. It’s just “oh police shouldn’t do that! Prisons shouldn’t be inhumane! People that work hard shouldn’t struggle to pay for medical bills.”

Never answer from the left but they definitely answers from the right.

The bipartisan effort to protect the profits of tax filers has always been one of the more gross and under-appreciated political issues to me, it should be a huge scandal / embarrassment. Somewhere between the massive spending on lobbying from Intuit and H&R Block and the lack of interest in taxes in general, it always seems to slip by the wayside.

This paragraph is a lot:

In July, Benjamin Chavis penned the highest profile entry in the current wave of Intuit-friendly op-eds. Chavis is a former executive director of the NAACP who currently heads the National Newspaper Publishers Association, a trade association for Black papers. He also is the national co-chair of No Labels, which seeks to raise $70 million to launch a third-party presidential ticket for 2024. (“Dr. King was a centrist” and would have supported No Labels, Chavis has argued.) Chavis did not respond to questions from ProPublica. His Chicago Tribune op-ed did not quote Intuit, but used language that echoed the company’s arguments. “The IRS has an alternative to TurboTax. But will that widen the racial wealth gap?” was the headline.

I haven’t followed this closely but I think I’ve seen more Dems condemn Melendez than Fetterman.

I do agree that many people are more concerned about the appearance of propriety than actual moral behavior befitting the office.

I haven’t followed this closely but I think I’ve seen more Dems condemn Melendez than Fetterman.

I do agree that many people are more concerned about the appearance of propriety than actual moral behavior befitting the office.
Sherrod Brown joined today, making it two Dem Senators calling on Menendez to step down.

Manchin, Durbin, and Kelly have complained about the dress code.

Republicans believe that America should be ruled by a class of elites (Bush son of President, Romney son of Governor, Trump worth hundreds of millions) and expect their rulers to dress as such so that poor people know they are less than. Appropriate dress is just one way they try and enforce this.

I find it very frustrating how there never seems to be any pushback or consequences from liberals and social justice advocates for corporations that so blatantly cheapen and pervert social justice concerns like this. If you are at all concerned with the political progress of racial and social justice causes, then you also have to be concerned with insidious capitalist forces parasitically undermining those causes - https://www.propublica.org/article/turbotax-intuit-black-taxpayers-irs-free-file-marketing
You don't think they are correct in this case? The entire enforcement division of the IRS is purposed to screw people out of their money that they are only arguably required to pay. They interpret any gray area, of which there is ample, in favor of the IRS. Do you honestly believe that a free automated filing system designed and implemented by the IRS is going to maximize every deduction or credit available to taxpayers? Come on man. Nobody is going to trust this thing, and for good reason. So the only people who are going to use it are those who can't/won't afford to pay the $200 turbotax fee, and they'll be getting bent over every year.

Are you serious?? Fuck no it’s not correct. These companies literally were sued for trying to trick low income tax filers to unnecessarily pay for services that the IRS provides for free! They are currently paying 141 million dollars to people they deceived. Now they are spending millions on lobbyists to defend their gross deception by using cheap race baiting fear mongering, undermining trust in the government with dubious references to racism to convince Black people that the IRS is trying to screw them, all so that those people will pay $200 to that company for a service that they easily can do themselves? That’s fucking disgusting! Jesus.

Last edited:
using your market position to literally deceive people into paying you for a free government service is the definition of screwing. Being found guilty of deception and then using racial justice concern as a defense for it is just 3 levels beyond screwing.

Back