• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

I have a couple of colleagues who teach at Columbia who aren't particularly partisan one way or another and who have told me that almost all of the anti-Semitic incidents have occurred from groups not affiliated with Columbia. By their accounts, the on-campus encampment and on-campus student organizations that are participating are not anti-Semitic. Somewhat ironically, the histrionics around anti-Semitism and the legitimately anti-Semitic incidents are both being driven by people and orgs that are unaffiliated with Columbia.

(Conversely, two Israel Columbia students who are also IDF Veterans physically assaulted student protesters on camera by shooting them with modified bear spray, and nothing has happened to them.)

I agree that Columbia needs to regain control of its campus and get rid of the legitimately anti-Semitic trespassers.

Have you protested any of these relevant international humanitarian this year or in previous years, or do they only concern you when it comes to pro-Palestine protest?
I've not protested for any of these. I just asked why one and not the other.

Okay, so no expectation of safety on a college campus for a college student who is paying $90,000 to attend school there and the campus has been overrun by god knows what kind of dipshits, many of whom aren't even students there, and are chanting Hamas slogans at him.

If you went abroad for a semester would you expect some shithead local to scream "DEATH TO AMERICA !!!" at you every time you stepped out of your dorm room ?
But isn't this a tradeoff for living in a free society? The right to free speech comes with the "risk" that some people might say some stuff that you don't like or even feels unsafe.

My friend, a jew from NYC and professor at Columbia, was one of the faculty leaders of the early protests (and quoted extensively in media, writing op-eds). Seems like his accounts accord with those above, that most of the dangerous and anti-Jewish rhetoric is coming from non-students. haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks though

I know one of the faculty leaders at Yale too, but that situation is a bit more confusing to me

I agree that Columbia needs to regain control of its campus and get rid of the legitimately anti-Semitic trespassers.
I don't think the trespassers are on campus. According to most reports, campus access is being restricted to people with student, faculty, and staff IDs. These interactions are occurring off of campus, by all accounts. I'm not sure that CU has any jurisdiction there, though the NYPD does.

I might ask why you haven't protested any of these crises if you are indeed concerned about what is happening in these places.

I don't think the trespassers are on campus.
he knows that, he’s just delegitimizing the protest. This is just the “protestors from out of town” cliche that authoritarians repeat. The people here are good people, these protestors aren’t from around here. They’re just here to agitate and make trouble.

I might ask why you haven't protested any of these crises if you are indeed concerned about what is happening in these places.
You very well might.

I don't recall saying anyone should or shouldn't protest. If you feel like you should, please do so.

I feel like a Twitter account that joined 2021, with only 8,000 followers and 46 tweets a day since then might not be a good follow.

You are not permitted to ask questions on this here political chat thread. If you do, expect condescension, ridicule, and various smarmy hashtags, and to be told you mean something other than you actually mean. It's science.

when I read a tweet I don’t like I usually open their feed and find a bunch of other tweets I don’t like. It’s not a revelation. If it’s any consolation I don’t post anything on the tunnels expecting either of you to like.

Back