• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

intensely depressing to think about the surviving demographics of Palestine and Gaza today.
it's an important data point in the case for genocide, too

that's not how population distributions are supposed to look

you have to commit some incredibly targeted atrocities to pull something like that off

and then there's the targeted destruction of social infrastructure like hospitals and schools...

what a fucking mess

Wasn't Charles Aycock one of the key figures of the Wilmington Coup?

Wasn't Charles Aycock one of the key figures of the Wilmington Coup?
Yep. He helped plan and supported the coup in his speeches, although he was not in Wilmington when the coup happened. He supported bills in the state legislature which created the poll tax and literacy test and other measures which sharply reduced black and poor white voting in the state, and in 1900 he was elected NC Governor largely because most blacks and poor whites had been eliminated from voting. For decades he was praised as the "Education Governor" for his support for building public schools for whites and blacks and a number of buildings and streets around the state were named for him - in Greensboro a middle school, a large auditorium at UNCG, and a main street in the city were all named after him. After the historical truth of his support for white supremacy and his role in the Wilmington Coup became apparent his name was removed from all of these, as well as other buildings, like a dorm at East Carolina.

Aycock's support of black schools in NC was tied to giving them only a vocational education and training to "the black race to fit them into a subordinate role...when our industrial development demands more labor and not less...we shall make no mistake in dealing with that race which does a very large part of the work, of actual hard labor in the State."

When Aycock accepted the Democratic nomination for NC Governor in 1900 he said "When we say that the negro is unfit to rule we carry it one step further and convey the correct idea when we declare that he is unfit to vote. To do this we must disfranchise the negro. This movement comes from the people. Politicians have been afraid of it and have hesitated, but the great mass of white men in the State are now demanding and have demanded that the matter be settled once and for all. To do so is both desirable and necessary – desirable because it sets the white man free to move along faster than he can go when retarded by the slower movement of the negro."

Not a big fan of Billy Graham (and much less a fan of his son Franklin), but he's definitely an improvement over Aycock. His career is littered with open and blatant white supremacist speeches. In one speech he frankly discussed bypassing and finding ways around the Fifteenth Amendment guaranteeing black men the right to vote. Just shameless.

Last edited:
Just listened to that Hillary quote. Several thoughts. There’s big “well actually it’s not technically an assault rifle” energy to squash debate about not killing people.

I don’t doubt she talked at some young people. But I doubt she talked with them.

It is bold to say “young people” don’t know history when the protests are being led by college students including many from the Middle East.

But when old people say “they don’t know history,” they’re saying young people didn’t experience those events like I did. Well no shit. I remember several years ago going out with my wife, some friends, and a friend’s nephew who was probably about 20 years younger. He was going on about what he read about the early Clinton administration. He went on for a bit before realize we were just kind of nodding our heads. And his aunt said, “Yeah. We were there for it.”

So olds look down on youngs who didn’t experience these things especially a Hillary Clinton who had a front seat for much of it. But there’s a power in knowing these events in hindsight and focusing on the outcome rather than the emotion of the event. And olds especially politicians need to realize that the past they know isn’t as important as how that past informs the present and future for young people.

I mean I would trust Hilary Clinton’s advice on how to run a bad campaign, alienate a voter base, and lose the “most important election of all time” to Donald Trump

Maybe that’s what the Biden admin is going for

I mean I would trust Hilary Clinton’s advice on how to run a bad campaign, alienate a voter base, and lose the “most important election of all time” to Donald Trump

Maybe that’s what the Biden admin is going for

jusvibinluv.gif

A good post, PhDeac, about generational activism

I can definitely understand the frustration with seeing some uninformed or less-informed people in or on the news who don't know the history of the conflict or who seem to suggest that they think this conflict only began last year. People like Jared Kushner or the students who become memes for (ostensibly) not understanding what they're protesting.

But assuming all or even most of the protesters are like that is a mistake. Even if they're just learning now about the middle east, at least they're doing something about it

A good analogy I think about a lot are some of the third-wave radical feminists (some of whom we'd now describe as TERFs) who made real, groundbreaking gains for intersectional feminism who were happy to sit back, rest on their reputation, and complain about how the fourth wave went about their organizing and theorizing.

Sure some of the new faces can't understand the sacrifices and breakthroughs of older activists, but criticising them for caring now is short-sighted, hypocritical, and hurts the movement

Even if they're just learning now about the middle east, at least they're doing something about it
You'd think that this would cause people who have known for some time how Israel operates in regard to Palestine to reflect on their own opinions, as opposed to instead insisting that they are the correct ones and the young people are morons like Hillary is doing.

Here are these young people that just learned about it, and they are outraged enough to organize nationwide protests. What does that say about the people who have known for years about the relationship between Israel/Palestine and have always just shrugged and moved along?

This go here or the Israel thread?
“When you destroy property or you take down the U.S flag and you have to put up gates around it — that costs money,” Kotis said. “It’s imperative that we have the proper resources for law enforcement to protect the campus.”

Ah yes, gotta spend millions of dollars to make sure 19 year olds don't lower a flag from a flagpole. Glad our priorities are in the right place.

Back