• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black Monday Coach & GM Watch

There's something odd about Trestman. He's so highly spoken of by former (and a few current) QBs. But that was from no later than 2002 and many go back 20 years. The guy was a hot item at one time but was repeatedly rejected as a HC candidate. So... he goes to CFL where he has a very good run. But he's been utterly disassociated from the NFL during that time. I mean, we're talking about the Chicago Bears- a large-market team, with ridiculous history, tradition, and rabid fanbase. And they had to get a CFL coach? Seriously? The one hire I like is them hiring Kromer from the Saints as OC. Trestman could be the greatest hire since Belichick or could be the next Al Groh. He's highly spoken of by lots of people but we've all seen the list of various basketball names discussing Wake's hiring of [Redacted].

So now Rod Marinelli has left as DC. I don't know if that's because he was passed over which, if that's the case, all I have to say is "10-38" as head coach. He was a great DC, however and I hate to see him go. I wonder how much the Bears did to try to keep him. In the end, I think the league's focus on immediate offense and the Bears' issues- long standing issues- at QB might've prompted them to hire just a quarterbacks coach as an HC. That's risky.

Just have to wait and see. I just would've like to seen a few big, well-known, NFL names in the final discussion. No one is exempt from scrutiny, though. When New England hired Belichick from his less-than-impressive stint in Cleveland, Patriots fans went berserk. I'm just waiting for the Bears to eventually pass from a family heirloom to a business, like the Falcons and many others.

Yeah, I'm with you, but there weren't any names out there that got me excited. Arians was the one I was sort of hoping for, but not for any big reason. I don't mind them going Adam Dunn on this one: swinging big, with a strikeout likely. Lovie wasn't gonna take this team to the 'ship. There's a two-year window for this core, max. Go all in on an offense/QB guy and see what they can do. If it doesn't work by year 3 then blow it up and start over, which they were probably gonna do anyways.

With the way the NFL has legislated defense out of the game, they're desperate for Arena League scores. So you have to have an offensive minded coach. I think back to the 70's and just how impossible it would've been for a guy like Kelly to get a gig at a place like Philly. Now, he's their hot candidate and they get him. That's why Lovie will not be coaching anywhere next season. And may not be an HC again. That seems unlikely but could very well happen. Arians would've been a great choice given his pedigree and success. Let's see where Emery and Trestman can get this team. But they're in a situation where they have talent and recent success- this isn't "rebuilding." This is "win now."

If the Jags get a QB, I like the Bradley hire. Always thought he had more to do with Seattle's success on D (not counting the debacle at the end of the Atlanta game) than Carroll.

With the way the NFL has legislated defense out of the game, they're desperate for Arena League scores. So you have to have an offensive minded coach. I think back to the 70's and just how impossible it would've been for a guy like Kelly to get a gig at a place like Philly. Now, he's their hot candidate and they get him. That's why Lovie will not be coaching anywhere next season. And may not be an HC again. That seems unlikely but could very well happen. Arians would've been a great choice given his pedigree and success. Let's see where Emery and Trestman can get this team. But they're in a situation where they have talent and recent success- this isn't "rebuilding." This is "win now."

Chicago was the 1 great job opening this year. You should be able to win now there. You have a good D, you finally have a legit QB and good WRs. You just have the worst OL outside of Philly (but at least they can blame injuries). Fix the OL, and you should be a SB contender.

Back