• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blacksburg Advice

They have a nice indoor track. That's all I got.

They've got some decent spots downtown, I just don't remember the names of any of them. Its not huge so you'll figure the vibes out it out sooner rather than later

That place sucks. I can't imagine how bad it would be if you're not totally integrated with the redneck university scene.

They made a pretty cool movie about it a couple years ago, you might learn something from it

Wrong+Turn+%25282003%2529.jpg

it's an easy trip to a trail head that takes you to mcafee knob. the hike is only something like 3-4 miles (one way). mcafee knob is AWESOME, and i highly suggest hiking up there on a day when the weather is good. there are some other good spots right around the same area (dragons tooth and tinker cliffs), but slightly longer hikes.

If you're younger and not married, blacksberg can be like a half way house between grad school and work. Lot's of younger college women and grad students. Everything tied to a college schedule..

If you're just a little older and or family, then you'll either live in the country or live in RKE and commute in..

I happen to like RKE..

If you make a left coming out of town, you reach the end of the Earth.

Pit,

I've taken a new position in Blacksburg. (Yes, at VT) Need some advice on things to do there. Good places to eat, drink, hang out. Is there a good single/young professional scene? Places to avoid. Thanks!

Do you know where you're living yet? Can give some help there if needed.

I can offer some pretty good insight, I guess... but 99% of it boils down to the same thing: where can you avoid students? 9 months out of the year; that's damn near impossible if you're talking about anywhere downtown and you'll want to live the life of a hermit.

Bull and Bones in the First and Main complex will become your 2nd home (and for good reason). Its a hike from downtown but it takes that to get away from the sweaty frat scene.

Rivermill is a pretty good bar dt for people-watching & has way better townie:student ratio than most.

Rivermill is a pretty good bar dt for people-watching & has way better townie:student ratio than most.

Hard to believe the townies are more tolerable than the students.

Do you know where you're living yet? Can give some help there if needed.

I can offer some pretty good insight, I guess... but 99% of it boils down to the same thing: where can you avoid students? 9 months out of the year; that's damn near impossible if you're talking about anywhere downtown and you'll want to live the life of a hermit.

Bull and Bones in the First and Main complex will become your 2nd home (and for good reason). Its a hike from downtown but it takes that to get away from the sweaty frat scene.

If you think DeacGeneral wants to hang out with townies and not coeds, then you haven't seen very much of his posting.

Hard to believe the townies are more tolerable than the students.

Blacksburg townies tend to be an older crowd consisting of professors, etc... the young locals seem to gravitate towards Christiansburg and Radford.

There are tolerable groups of VT students out there; you're just not going to find them hanging out in roaming packs downtown. Its a loud, sweaty, obnoxious crowd. When school's in session; that's what its going to be like every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night.

Summer & Winter Break are heaven in that town & those times are the reason I stuck around for a while.

Fuck Knoxville, i'd rather live in Blacksburg or Newark, Tehran, Tripoli.....

Oh I don't like Knoxville either. It's still 100x cooler than Blacksburg.

I have a completely irrational (mostly) hatred towards that town, and it all stems from hating the Vols and Neyland Stadium looking like a garbage truck workers convention. I'm sure it has all the trappings of a big fun college town, but I don't care.

Back