• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bloomberg

ABCDeac

Reaction score
Isn't it time he had his own thread? Last night's results set up perfectly for him. He says he has to decide by early March - just a couple of weeks. He should move now while Hillary is at her weakest, and with the GOP in total disarray. I think he could hurt her enough in NV and SC - with the right speeches and approach - such that her supporters would naturally gravitate toward him immediately. That would increase Bernie's strength, albeit artificially. It would also weaken the GOP Establishment candidates who are looking for a viable alternative to Trump and Cruz.

Bloomberg currently 33/1 on some sites. That is way too low.

Isn't there a deadline to enter most of these primaries?

Isn't there a deadline to enter most of these primaries?

Yes, but he wouldn't be in the primaries - just the general. As for the thread, I still think it's premature to consider Bloomberg as a candidate because Sanders isn't nearly as strong as the media is making him out to be. And in order to run, it has to be a Trump/Cruz v. Sanders race for him to be competitive. While I believe Trump or Cruz will be the Pub nominee, Sanders has a ton of ground to make up in SC, NV and the Super Tuesday states. If Sanders can stay within 10-15 points of Clinton in SC and NV and can capture 4-5 of the 3/1 states, then he becomes a viable alternative. And that's when Bloomberg becomes viable.

Political party
Democratic (Before 2001)
Republican (2001–2007)
Independent (2007–present)

Anyone entertaining an independent run needs to start almost immediately to get the ground game set up to get on all 50 ballots.

He would only run if it's Bernie vs trump.

If he did run, he would be giving trump an easy victory.

Not so sure about that. Trump has a TON of Republicans who will not vote for him. I think in a Trump vs. Bernie vs. Bloomberg race that Bloomberg would win.

Not so fast. I agree that Trump, in a 3 way with Bloomberg and Bernie, likely gets the most electoral votes. But that doesn't mean he wins. Ask Andrew Jackson.

Cruz and Bernie is the match up Bloomberg wants. HRC and Trump don't work as well for him. Bloomberg's way more pragmatic than Trump, he won't run if he doesn't believe he has a reasonable chance to win. Dem superdelegates are a problem for Bloomberg, they'll keep Hillary mathematically afloat barring a sudden and total collapse. Also doesn't seem to as ruthless as he'd need especially as an independent. Seems unwilling to influence the primaries now to shift the odds favorably.

Ok, I'll play along.

In your scenarios, Bloomberg has to pick up almost all of Hillary's supporters and some establishment gop.

Don't see it. Most would hold their nose and vote the party line or just not vote.

Why is bloomberg compelling? He's known for a gun-control campaign that's not working, a silly soda ban and being rich.

Have you seen him talk? He's boring and would drive no excitement. Trump would pick him apart here.

What's his message- I won't rock the boat? Voters want it rocked, or Jeb/Kasich and Hillary would be crushing it.

Last edited:
Bloomberg allows independents put off by Bernie to vote for someone who won't nominate three Scalias to the Supreme Court.

I don't often disagree with my friend FMR, but I'd like to offer a friendly amendment to his post saying Cruz v. Bernie is what he wants if he's going to run. I believe Trump v. Bernie is even better for him. My Pub friends tend to be fiscal conservatives and not social/religious conservatives. I can see them holding their nose and voting for Cruz because he's more of a fiscal conservative than holding their nose and voting for Trump because he's a fiscal disaster who would be worse for business and deficits than Cruz would be. And because Trump and Bernie are essentially mirror images of each other with apparently similar budget, immigration, trade and protectionist policies, he'd be running as a middle of the road establishment guy against the 2 outsider populist guys, who are more similar than they would like to admit. Either way he has the same appeal to establishment Dems. But I think he has an even better appeal to establishment Pubs if it's Trump rather than Cruz. But I think he'll hop in either way if it looks like it'll be Bernie v. either 1.

Bloomberg is the answer to Trump's prayers. Could get him elected.

Having three $$$ candidates from New York. Just what we need.

Anyone entertaining an independent run needs to start almost immediately to get the ground game set up to get on all 50 ballots.

Exactly. After last night, Bloomberg can't wait to make a decision until he knows for sure who the two candidates will be. Sanders' huge win & Rubio's collapse have further muddled both party's picture and created a lengthy battle for the two nominations. If Bloomberg is going to run, he can't wait that long to enter and still get on all 50 state ballots.

Shit, I thought Bloomberg was a Republican. Forgot he left them.

He only ran as a Republican to get on the NYC ballot, as the Dems had their candidate locked up and the Pubs fielded a weak follower to Rudy. He was never a Republican except on paper. If he runs, he will siphon votes from Hillary.

Not so sure about that. Trump has a TON of Republicans who will not vote for him. I think in a Trump vs. Bernie vs. Bloomberg race that Bloomberg would win.

As one of those guys, I am all in for Bloomberg.

He only ran as a Republican to get on the NYC ballot, as the Dems had their candidate locked up and the Pubs fielded a weak follower to Rudy. He was never a Republican except on paper. If he runs, he will siphon votes from Hillary.

He won't run against Hillary, only Bernie.

And Bloomberg is overrated anyway.

Bernie wouldn't mind running against two billionaires. It would just make his message resonate more.

Back