• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston Marathon Bombing - Sgt McCarthy > PhDeac

Really interested to see what befalls his sister-in-law and sisters. I find it impossible to believe that his SIL didn't know that bombs were getting made as she rocks her baby next to a jihadist flag.

When was the last time you heard of a murderer who had been executed killing someone else, correction officers and prison inmates included?

A consummated death sentence has the lowest recidivism rate calculable. Give dv7 some time, he's not used to government action actually achieving its objective.

It also has the lowest rehabilitation rate calculable.

If the goal is the lowest recidivism possible, why not kill more criminals? Why just a few murderers? Why not the rapists? Why not the pedophiles? Why not the Bernie Madoffs?

For starters, the SCOTUS has said that, other than crimes against the state (like treason), the death penalty can only be given for crimes that result in the death of the victim.

We weren't talking about SCOTUS. We were talking about people's personal opinions on the death penalty.

We weren't talking about SCOTUS. We were talking about people's personal opinions on the death penalty.

No, he wasn't. He very clearly brought up recidivism in response to a post questioning the utility of "a developed nation still employing capital punishment in 2015." Quit trying to change the subject, New RJ.

When was the last time you heard of a murderer who had been executed killing someone else, correction officers and prison inmates included?

This is a stupid argument given that people sentenced to death spend an average of at least a decade in prison. It's not like they are being put to death immediately because they are too much of a risk for a prison environment.

Sounds like a good reason, among others, to figure out a way to expedite the appeals/habeas corpus process. 10 years to justice--whatever that turns out to be--is entirely too long.

I can agree with that.

I'm generally opposed to the death penalty but really don't care if this guy gets whacked.

A consummated death sentence has the lowest recidivism rate calculable. Give dv7 some time, he's not used to government action actually achieving its objective.

Oh nice. You think that the government is a good thing only when it is killing its citizens. Nice.

I can agree with that.

I would be on board with that except we have a system right now that allows innocent people to be sentenced to death. So I'm down for giving them all the time they can get to prove their innocence

I would be on board with that except we have a system right now that allows innocent people to be sentenced to death. So I'm down for giving them all the time they can get to prove their innocence

I'm for all processes moving faster.

"Most of the defendants on death row in 2004 had only been there a year or two, though the mean amount of time spent there throughout the study was 10 years. If the patterns observed between 1973 and 1995 holds, about two-thirds of prisoners who were sentenced to die will have that judgment overturned, and most will remain in prison for life."

"At least 4 percent of all people who receive the death penalty are innocent, if a new study is right."

""Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present system ($137 million per year), the present system after implementation of the reforms ... ($232.7 million per year) ... and a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty ($11.5 million).""

"http://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabethlopatto/2014/04/29/how-many-innocent-people-are-sentenced-to-death/"

"Since 1981, when France finally gave up the guillotine (yes, people were still being decapitated in the late 1970s), Europe has been a death penalty-free continent, and commentators point to a "deep divide" between it and the United States."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/16/AR2010071602717.html

The French were still using the guillotine in the 1970s? Seriously?

It also has the lowest rehabilitation rate calculable.

If the goal is the lowest recidivism possible, why not kill more criminals? Why just a few murderers? Why not the rapists? Why not the pedophiles? Why not the Bernie Madoffs?

I have zero interest in seeing murderers rehabilitated.

I tend to doubt that the death penalty has a deferent affect. It's not like there's a lot of weighing of consequences before a murder takes place.

Oh nice. You think that the government is a good thing only when it is killing its citizens. Nice.

You make a good point. I regret that this animal can't be stripped of his citizenship before we put him to death.

Reminder: Bro blew up a child on purpose.

You make a good point. I regret that this animal can't be stripped of his citizenship before we put him to death.

Reminder: Bro blew up a child on purpose.

As a note, I believe his parents are opposed to the use of the death penalty in this case.

Back