• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl projections

doof, do you know if Military has first pick among itself/Detroit/Shreve? I've seen you allude to that several times but I haven't seen that noted anywhere

I do not...I've just been going along with what the site writers have said, and they all have the Military Bowl taking Georgia Tech with no mention of the other ones.

Good question, and I'll try to find an answer.

I'm all for another bowl game other than the Military Bowl- still trying to warm up from the last time we went there in December. :eek:hnoes:

Two things:

a) Once the ACC and WF accept a bowl's required ticket guarantees (which will happen), the how you travel issue is essentially irrelevant. Agree that the Belk Bowl would rather have UNC or State (or Clemson, but they aren't going to Charlotte for a bowl this year) because not only would they meet the ticket guarantee, their fans would buy additional tickets. Outside of those two programs (State may not be bowl eligible and UNC may get a more high-profile bowl invite; however, the Duke loss hurt those chances), there is no other ACC school that would offer a more attractive option for selling tickets for Charlotte.

b) Once the ticket guarantee is accepted, each Bowl's priority is TV ratings because that determines the payout from ESPN in future bowls.

So, it's not the ticket sales that drives the bowl committee's selection; it's which team will draw viewers. FWIW, no ACC team is going to bring many fans to El Paso, Shreveport or Detroit (or many of the other bowl locales); so, the bowl that selects WF or passes over WF will not be concerned about ticket sales.

Last edited:
Also, just to point this out because two projections have it, but the TaxSlayer Bowl is played on New Year's Eve at 11 A.M. That would be the second biggest bowl game (maybe game period) in Wake Forest history if we somehow wound up there.

IMO I think State gets to 6 wins. I hope not, but that could negatively impact our prospects.

I'd be shocked if they wound up in Charlotte though since they were there last year and play SC in their first game there next season

I could see a storyline of Paul Johnson heading back to Annapolis, drawing GT to the Military Bowl. Pitt getting NYC vs a Maryland to keep it regional (a days drive). After the draught we've been in, I'll be happy with any of them.

IMO I think State gets to 6 wins. I hope not, but that could negatively impact our prospects.

I'd be shocked if they wound up in Charlotte though since they were there last year and play SC in their first game there next season

They need to beat Miami in Raleigh this week, or they have to beat UNC in Chapel Hill next week. Miami opened as 3 point favorites, so this week will likely be a good game.

We really need Clemson and Louisville to make the CFP, and State to not reach 6 games.

I could see a storyline of Paul Johnson heading back to Annapolis, drawing GT to the Military Bowl. Pitt getting NYC vs a Maryland to keep it regional (a days drive). After the draught we've been in, I'll be happy with any of them.

This. I'd be happy playing in the Trump Bowl in a burned-out parking lot in Atlantic City.

Also, just to point this out because two projections have it, but the TaxSlayer Bowl is played on New Year's Eve at 11 A.M. That would be the second biggest bowl game (maybe game period) in Wake Forest history if we somehow wound up there.

How does it being on New Year's Eve at 11:00 AM make it the 2nd biggest bowl game in WFU history? The 1992 Independence Bowl was on NYE.

There is a myth that persists that the Taxslayer Bowl is something special. It may have been special when it was the Gator Bowl but now it is just another bowl. I would rather we play in the Pinstripe Bowl (Yankee Stadium), Belk Bowl (lots of WFU fans), Sun Bowl (Pac 12 matchup).

How does it being on New Year's Eve at 11:00 AM make it the 2nd biggest bowl game in WFU history? The 1992 Independence Bowl was on NYE.

There is a myth that persists that the Taxslayer Bowl is something special. It may have been special when it was the Gator Bowl but now it is just another bowl. I would rather we play in the Pinstripe Bowl (Yankee Stadium), Belk Bowl (lots of WFU fans), Sun Bowl (Pac 12 matchup).

New Year's Eve against an SEC or Big Ten opponent is huge.

Jacksonville would get a lot of WFU fans as well and much more than the Pinstripe or Sun Bowl.

We would be playing a top 15 team on ESPN with only one other game on. That is absolutely huge for recruiting, viewers, publicity---every way that you slice it, it's a huge game for us.

Two things:

a) Once the ACC and WF accept a bowl's required ticket guarantees (which will happen), the how you travel issue is essentially irrelevant. Agree that the Belk Bowl would rather have UNC or State (or Clemson, but they aren't going to Charlotte for a bowl this year) because not only would they meet the ticket guarantee, their fans would buy additional tickets. Outside of those two programs (State may not be bowl eligible and UNC may get a more high-profile bowl invite; however, the Duke loss hurt those chances), there is no other ACC school that would offer a more attractive option for selling tickets for Charlotte.

b) Once the ticket guarantee is accepted, each Bowl's priority is TV ratings because that determines the payout from ESPN in future bowls.

So, it's not the ticket sales that drives the bowl committee's selection; it's which team will draw viewers. FWIW, no ACC team is going to bring many fans to El Paso, Shreveport or Detroit (or many of the other bowl locales); so, the bowl that selects WF or passes over WF will not be concerned about ticket sales.

AGree for the most part, but I think all other things being equal between two teams a bowl wants viewers to see butts in seats.

Can't see Jax taking us, not getting excited about that prospect. If it was between us and GT for that spot I think they'd take the Jackets. And I can't particularly blame them, they did beat the likely Coastal champs.

Or they'll take a Big Team team instead and take their chances with three ACC teams the next three years. I just don't think it's a viable scenario

I also think they'll funnel the best Tier I ACC team to Jax. Since that's the lead-in to a CFP game they'll want it to be the most appealing team possible.

I'd guess UNC winds up there, which wouldn't be terrible for us since it helps open up Charlotte

Can't see Jax taking us, not getting excited about that prospect. If it was between us and GT for that spot I think they'd take the Jackets. And I can't particularly blame them, they did beat the likely Coastal champs.

Or they'll take a Big Team team instead and take their chances with three ACC teams the next three years. I just don't think it's a viable scenario

Plus, in the past, they have made it clear that they would would only take Wake if they absolutely had no other choice.

Plus, in the past, they have made it clear that they would would only take Wake if they absolutely had no other choice.

Perhaps the biggest reason going to Jax would be huge. It may never happen again.

Were any bowl officials in town for the Army game? If so, I can make a guess about who WON'T be picking Wake.

Back