• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bracketology 2017

And yet K-State more likely to win the 2nd game than we are. Odd.

i looked into their methodology and the only thing i could find is every game probability is also adjusted by travel distance from home location. kst and wake are basically equal in their ELO/composite rankings. wake is actually getting a very minor travel boost (300 miles less) for the dayton game, but kst would travel 1000 less miles to sacramento if they won.

I was surprised a simulator that I saw gave K-state a better chance of beating Cincy, as well.

Perhaps our D being extremely on the weak side hurts? More balanced teams more likely to win and advance?

On the CBSSN braket show last night, one of the guys going into a break, after Pete Guilen's raving about Lanzo ball, says "John Collins, John Collins, ordinary name not an ordinary game"

Of course in the back ground one of the guys is say 'have to get past the 1st round first'.

I was surprised a simulator that I saw gave K-state a better chance of beating Cincy, as well.

Perhaps our D being extremely on the weak side hurts? More balanced teams more likely to win and advance?

another one where wake was favored over k-state but k-state more likely to beat cincy?

Yeah, slight diff here b/c K-St was very marginally favored to beat us. Like 50.4% to 49.6%.

But there was a 3ish % diff between our ability to beat Cincy and theirs

So has there been any talk of why 4 games are played in the First Four, 2 on Tues/2 on Wed....and why both Tuesday winners aren't playing on Thursday?

Seems a little bit of an advantage for us if we win, we get an extra day to rest. Seems strange they wouldn't do Tues/Thur and Wed/Fri for the 1st/2nd games for all of those teams.

So has there been any talk of why 4 games are played in the First Four, 2 on Tues/2 on Wed....and why both Tuesday winners aren't playing on Thursday?

Seems a little bit of an advantage for us if we win, we get an extra day to rest. Seems strange they wouldn't do Tues/Thur and Wed/Fri for the 1st/2nd games for all of those teams.

Advantage over who? The opponent who has been resting since Sunday?

They wanted three of the First Four winners to play in Friday pods. That's fine. It's no big deal.

Advantage over the teams that play on Wednesday, sheesh

Seriously? You don't think we have an advantage over the other 11 seed pod?

It just seems dumb to not make everything as even as possible.

But whatever....I'm dumb.

Sorry for bringing it up.

I think it may be because Wake will be travelling to CA for the next game, and they saw it as too big of a disadvantage to play less than 48 hours after a game three time zones away.

Advantage over the teams that play on Wednesday, sheesh

We aren't playing the other 11 seed pod. Who cares if we have an advantage over them? Nobody should spend time worrying about that.

Either way, there are plenty of other advantages some teams have and others don't. The First Four winners aren't going to be more rested than their opponents regardless so it doesn't matter.

And yes, we are playing in CA. That's only why we are the one out of the 3 that plays on Tuesday.

I guess. But wouldn't we just be traveling from Dayton to CA? Don't think we'd come back to NC and then to CA.

I'll refrain from speaking up again.

Yeah. It's a long trip.

I just imagine Slim's family sitting around him warming themselves to his hot takes.

Back