• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Braves v. Dodgers, NLDS

Who will win, how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Freddy Garcia?

I wish you a happy offseason and all the best in 2014...

dumb... especially dumb because he had him throw 120 pitches in his last start with a big lead.

Kind of a stinky, desperate move by LA. Are they really scared of Medlen in Game 5?

Fucks up his ability to have multiple starts in NLCS if they make it as well.

Game 1 of the NLCS isn't till Friday. He'll still be able to start Game 2 on four days rest and Game 6 on five days rest (or Game 5 on three days rest).

Last edited:
Nolasco had a pretty sucky last few games. And if Kershaw pitches Wednesday he would only be available on regular rest for games 3 and 7 of the NLCS.

Still seems like a weird move, though.

I haven't plotted the NLCS schedule on it, but wouldn't Kershaw just get two starts in that 7-game series either way, unless he pitched on short rest? The old days when an ace pitched the 1st, 4th & 7th games are pretty much a thing of the past now, aren't they? And this might even put Kershaw in the position of pitching the 3rd and 6th or 7th game of that series, rather than the 1st & 4th or 5th game. If so, Mattingly might be thinking that he would rather use Kershaw that way in the NLCS.

Another advantage is that by locking up the series tonight, you get the extra rest of not having to travel back to Atlanta and pitch Kershaw on Wednesday. I think there's a good chance the Dodgers win tonight anyway....but maybe Mattingly wants to lock it up for sure to get that extra rest for his staff.

Three games in the NLCS would be three games in nine days. Very doubtful.

Nolasco had a pretty sucky last few games. And if Kershaw pitches Wednesday he would only be available on regular rest for games 3 and 7 of the NLCS.

Still seems like a weird move, though.

True, but if they win tonight and he doesn't pitch, he's ready for Games 1 and 5 on regular rest, which is definitely preferable to 3 and 7.

True, but if they win tonight and he doesn't pitch, he's ready for Games 1 and 5 on regular rest, which is definitely preferable to 3 and 7.

If they win tonight and he does pitch he's ready for game 2 and 6. The 3 and 7 is if he had to pitch game 5.

The Dodgers need one win and have two chances. Would you rather slate in Kershaw on short rest and Greinke on regular rest for those two, or Nolasco and Kershaw on regular rest?

The decision to pitch Kershaw I can understand. Leaving him in for so long in game 1 looks dumb now, though.

As awful as the Braves have been, I'd hold Kershaw out tonight. Mattingly should activate himself. He'll probably pitch a four-hitter. I think it's worth the "risk" to hold Kershaw out tonight with the possibility of giving him the extra rest and having him ready for Game 1. If you're confident in his ability to pitch on 3 days rest, you can always pitch him Wednesday in Game 5 and then have him available for Game 3 of the NLCS on four days rest and Game 6 on three days rest.

So, to restate, I would not pitch Kershaw tonight because the Braves suck.

They are no Charlotte Knights, that's for sure.

I wasn't implying that Kershaw would be missing on a start in the NLCS. They still have much more flexibility if he starts game 1 than game 2. I'd much rather have the flexibility to have him start on short rest in the NLCS than the NLDS. Given his high pitch count, and this decision, that probably isn't in the cards.

Let's also not forget that if the Ds get in a situation where they are in a Game 6 or 7 in the NLCS they might bring him in for an inning. It happens all the time as teams will pull out all the stops to get to a WS.

I do like the fact that Kershaw threw 124 pitches in Game 1, the third highest total of his career. I also like the fact that this will be the first time in his entire career that he has pitched on short rest.

These people are the smart ones, the soothsayers, the Nostradamuses of our age.

Dodgers in 4: 1976Deac, BillBrasky, BobStackFan4Life, Caturdayredux, CheesePritchard, DaDeacs, DCDeac, deacondamo, DeaconOEF/OIFvet, DG3, HeavyPetter, IAppreciateIt, IckerDeac, NFDeac, oldgold65, RevDeac06, RJKarl, texasdeac, TheIshThatSaved WakeForest, timthedeac, Tomas1014

So the Braves players all boycotted Chipper's 1st pitch ceremony because he predicted the Dodgers to win in 4. And then proceed to go out and lose to the Dodgers in 4.

Back