• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BSD Article: Wake Forest Student Section

Yeah fuck those people who gave their lives to the University, paid for their own homes, and don't want stadium lights shining in their windows or drunk kids meandering through their back yards.

You bring up some good points in the post above this one, but the devil's advocate side this this post is pretty simple:

You chose to live on a college campus and be a part of the University's community. There are benefits and drawbacks to that decision. You can also disagree and voice your opinion on campus matters (this is a college campus - it's allowed), but ultimately the entire community is going to make decisions, not a small group of private home-owners.

But of course, 1955 was a very different time. There's some good info here.

dope gif

logo.gif

You bring up some good points in the post above this one, but the devil's advocate side this this post is pretty simple:

You chose to live on a college campus and be a part of the University's community. There are benefits and drawbacks to that decision. You can also disagree and voice your opinion on campus matters (this is a college campus - it's allowed), but ultimately the entire community is going to make decisions, not a small group of private home-owners.

But of course, 1955 was a very different time. There's some good info here.

Completely agree with the second paragraph. That's exactly how it's worked as campus has expanded in that direction over time. At times the Faculty drive voice has been loud enough to dictate those changes (or lack thereof) and at other times it hasn't been.

Completely agree with the second paragraph. That's exactly how it's worked as campus has expanded in that direction over time. At times the Faculty drive voice has been loud enough to dictate those changes (or lack thereof) and at other times it hasn't been.

yeah, perks like a convenient, quiet faculty drive help wake find and retain quality faculty.

i just can't imagine people seriously think wake's lack of on-campus BB facilities holds back our athletic success

It's not on-campus BB facilities for me. It's university expansion generally. Walking lanes to the sports campus (and joinder therewith), more dorms, parking, academic buildings, the works.

Yeah it's always been unrealistic for Wake to think it could maintain that community while continuing to build up campus in that direction. Faculty drive was a great idea in the 50's when campus was built but the percentage of homes filled by current faculty has to be down near 25%.

I'm pretty sure the University has right of first refusal for all the homes in that neighborhood. The construction of the golf complex caused a lot of issues for both the University and the homeowners backing up to the complex. Those could have largely been avoided if the University had started buying up those houses when they were sold by the original owners or their heirs.
You're right. Why an HOA wasn't created in the late 50's is beyond me. Keep it a full faculty drive. I grew up there, delivered papers, and knew every professor. I think it's on the historical registry now? Such a unique neighborhood in the 60's. But no more.

Back