• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Buzz Out!!! After less than 2 years it's officially official...

DCDeac

Reaction score
Buzz is done. Before DV7 has an orgasm we're talking Google Buzz.

Along with Buzz's termination comes a number of other shut downs as well to various Google services.

Google+ is not catching on, Gmail's new look and feel is getting panned, Amazon and Apple are sprinting past Google in the Cloud space, Chrome OS is stalling, Apple is rumored to be replacing Google Maps with 3D mapping systems...

It must be asked... Is Google finished? Ok, not finished, but they are racking up some significant failures. If it wasn't for Android they might be in legit trouble.

At least I posted it in the Pit...

Weird that I got an unsigned NegRep question about Google Cloud versus Apple and Amazon cloud... Guess I'll just answer it here...

Anyway, I think there's a misunderstanding of what cloud computing is and where it's headed. Gmail is a cloud email service, but there were other net-based email service before it was introduced. Google's true Cloud offerings are Google Applications, documents, etc - all of which are supposed to get you to stop using Microsoft word or saving documents on your hard drive and move everything to Google online. This has not been widely accepted.

Amazon however was a first mover in Cloud, and as a paid service for storing files in the cloud has become very popular. It offers access across all devices, but you have to upload everything you have, and synching between devices for more complicated things like calendars and such is limited.

Apple just launched iCloud, which is like Amazon's offering but also does more complex synching tasks like bookmarks, calendars, address books, photos, etc - plus it doesn't just store stuff in the cloud and make you access everything over the net, it physically updates files on your devices whenever you're on Wifi so you have local copies of everything. Plus iMatch is coming which means no more uploading your entire media library if you're willing to pay a little cash.

So yes, at the moment based on attrition and offerings, both Amazon and Apple seem to be lapping Google's "connect to the internet and use our apps for everything" approach.

No one with that much cash on hand (and more coming in) is finished. Killing Buzz, etc, is actually a good sign that they're starting to focus on making a smaller number of projects successful rather than just dicking around and hoping things stick.

Having said that, I'm not all that optimistic about their future. They have plenty of time to fix things, but their strategy at the moment has some long term problems.

It's a shame Google+ doesn't have much traction because it's actually pretty cool.

The new GMail UI is fucking miserable.

I keep getting the little pop up box on the bottom right of my Gmail asking if I want to switch to the new look. I have just kept ignoring it.

I am not up on all the latest technology and where these companies are heading. That said, I have loved Google over the last few years and use Google as my primary search engine, my email (Gmail), my chat (Gchat), my photo sharer (Picasa), my calendar, my mapping choice (Google Maps), and my phone platform (Android).

I can never see myself using Google Docs as a replacement for Word, Excel, etc, but I do use it a lot for simple documents where it's nice to have it saved online (in the Cloud) or want to share it with others for easy uploading (e.g. was great for organization with wedding planning and tracking expenses and what not).

Never got on board with Google+.

Google is finished! With buzz gone now, their revenue streams are finally destroyed! Long Live AOL/Yahoo!

But they gave us StreetView!

googlegraveyard.jpg

That image is from the blog winrumors and I particularly like how they lumped in a few subjective things (like "Your privacy") with the objectively dead apps

The elimination of under performing products was suggested by Steve Jobs.

I'm glad Google stopped supporting older browsers. Makes it a lot easier for me to justify to my clients why I don't support Internet Explorer 6.

I'm glad Google stopped supporting older browsers. Makes it a lot easier for me to justify to my clients why I don't support Internet Explorer 6.

Wouldn't "It's not a very good browser," suffice?

Back