• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cal State LA offers segregated, microaggression free, housing for black students

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
‘A safe space for Black CSLA students …’

California State University Los Angeles recently rolled out segregated housing for black students.

The arrangement comes roughly nine months after the university’s Black Student Union issued a set of demands in response to what its members contend are frequent “racist attacks” on campus, such as “racially insensitive remarks” and “microaggressions” by professors and students. One demand was for a “CSLA housing space delegated for Black students.”

“[It] would provide a cheaper alternative housing solution for Black students. This space would also serve as a safe space for Black CSLA students to congregate, connect, and learn from each other,” the demand letter stated.

The newly debuted Halisi Scholars Black Living-Learning Community “focuses on academic excellence and learning experiences that are inclusive and non-discriminatory,” Cal State LA spokesman Robert Lopez told The College Fix via email.

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/28906/

but is the housing equal

a9557.jpg

Is this black fragility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White students at Cal State LA who'd rather not have to deal with minorities need to ask the school to hook them up. I'm sure that would go over real well.

So your position is that a private school that permits self-selection in housing that results in isolated segregation is the same as a public institution that offers designated segregated housing to one race?

Nope. Tongue was implanted in my cheek, but I know you lack any sort of sense of humor. Also, the housing is not only offered to one race, so you're wrong anyway. Why would anyone take anything either of the Bobs post at face value?

Nope. Tongue was implanted in my cheek, but I know you lack any sort of sense of humor. Also, the housing is not only offered to one race, so you're wrong anyway. Why would anyone take anything either of the Bobs post at face value?
Oh, I'm just sure white students are rushing to sign up and being made to feel welcome.
Cal State LA joins UConn, UC Davis and Berkeley in offering segregated housing dedicated to black students. While these housing options are technically open to all students, they’re billed and used as arrangements in which black students can live with one another.

Meanwhile, at Cal State LA, campus leaders took down much of the online information on the new housing that it posted in late July. And university housing officials and other campus officials rebuffed requests by The College Fix for more details.

If campus leaders are proud of the new housing, they appear disinclined to talk about it.

CSULA’s Housing Services page offers one paragraph on the new black living-learning community, calling it an effort to “enhance the residential experience for students who are a part of or interested in issues of concern to the black community living on campus by offering the opportunity to connect with faculty and peers, and engage in programs that focus on academic success, cultural awareness, and civic engagement.”

In addition to the Black Student Union’s housing demand, the group also demanded a $30 million dollar scholarship endowment to aid black students, three new black faculty counselors, a new anti-discrimination policy and cultural competency course for faculty and students, and finally, a meeting with the president for them to discuss the “fulfillment and implementation of each demand.”

After the Halisi housing community was announced, the Black Student Union celebrated on its Instagram page, calling it a “long overdue, but well deserved” achievement, Young America’s Foundation reports.

Members of Cal State LA’s Black Student Union declined requests for comment from The College Fix.

Young America’s Foundation quoted from the Halisi housing application prior to university officials taking it offline. Rules students who seek to live in Halisi must agree to include “respect the differences of others that live in my community and look for positive thing to learn from them,” “be an advocate for change if the tools and resources available are deemed inadequate,” and “accept that I am still learning and need to be open to new ideas and experiences.”

Also interesting, and not surprising given the tendencies of the usual suspects, that this only pisses some off when it's black people, not native Americans, Asian Pacific Americans, or the 20 or so other preexisting similar theme houses at some of these colleges.

Also interesting, and not surprising given the tendencies of the usual suspects, that this only pisses some off when it's black people, not native Americans, Asian Pacific Americans, or the 20 or so other preexisting similar theme houses at some of these colleges.

Absolutely disgraceful accusation- you should be ashamed but I know you aren't. That's how you roll, recklessly throwing out charges of racism just because sane people are rightfully opposed to this kind of racist horseshit. Do you think schools should set up housing geared towards white Americans of Irish descent, so they can celebrate their culture? If you think this shit is on the up and up why is the university removing info about it and everyone associated with it is refusing to talk about it?

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- California State University, Los Angeles introduced housing which some said allowed the segregation of African-American students.

The Halisi Scholars Black Living-Learning Community, which can hold 24 of the approximately 1,000 students living on campus, has sparked a national debate and uproar among civil rights activist.

"Civil rights leaders fought and in some cases died to break down on legal and social racial segregation," Earl Ofari Hutchinson, the President Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable said in a written statement. "That a public university in California would institute that policy in 2016 is absolutely mind boggling. Cal. State L.A. officials must immediately review and reconsider this policy."

According to a press release from the CSULA Black Student Union back in February, the housing was agreed upon between the group and CSULA President William Covino.

The release stated that the group and Covino reached a written agreement on several demands on Dec. 7, 2015.

One of those, according to the release, included, "The Director of Housing has been asked to work with administration and the BSU in creating, and developing, a Black Scholars' living learning community. We expect the development of the Black Scholars Hall to take place prior to the Fall 2016 term."

The black student union said it wanted a place for African-American students to congregate, connect and learn from each other.

Jonathan Thomas, a freshman living in the dorm, said it wasn't about segregation. Thomas, who is studying communications, said the dorm was a place for him to feel safe. He said anyone was welcomed in the dorm.

"I think that's like a really loaded word, and even I'm using it, but it's not segregated, not at all in my opinion," Thomas said. "I don't know where that assumption even came from."

"I have friends across the hall who are of Asian descent and things of that nature, so it's not like we're trying to seem like we don't want to hang out with other races. We just have a dorm where it's a lot of black people. I don't understand how that's segregated. That's kind of silly," freshman Aaron Rodgers, who also lives at the dorm, said.

CSULA referred to the dorm as a "themed living community" and pointed to the University of California, Berkeley, Stanford and other CSU campuses including Fullerton and Northridge, that have similar themed housing.

"This housing is for people who are interested in issues facing the African-American community on campus," Robert Lopez, executive director of communications for CSULA said.

The university said the Halisi Scholars Black Living-Learning Community had a long wait list before the fall 2016 semester kicked off.
http://abc7.com/education/segregated-housing-at-csula-sparks-national-debate/1502106/

Black people figured out white people are crazy as shit and are trying to roll back the clock to get away from them.

or

White people figured out the way to bring back segregation is the convince black people that's what they really want.

Black people figured out white people are crazy as shit and are trying to roll back the clock to get away from them.

or

White people figured out the way to bring back segregation is the convince black people that's what they really want.

Either way, it's really fucked up.

Absolutely disgraceful accusation- you should be ashamed but I know you aren't. That's how you roll, recklessly throwing out charges of racism just because sane people are rightfully opposed to this kind of racist horseshit. Do you think schools should set up housing geared towards white Americans of Irish descent, so they can celebrate their culture? If you think this shit is on the up and up why is the university removing info about it and everyone associated with it is refusing to talk about it?

Need a safe space, Bob 2? Instead of feigned indignation and victim-playing, how about you explain why this is different than the other open, themed housing examples I provided, and why this one is more worthy of your shaming. It's not likely there are a lot of non-asians in the asian housing, and we know there aren't many people of color in the open KA and who knows how many other white or all white all male or all female fraternities and sororities in this country, so that argument is worthless. Tell me what it is about black people, Bob?

I'm going to assume your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek when you posted this one too.

That's a fair assumption, unless he's finally gotten that last vertebrae to flex.

Need a safe space, Bob 2? Instead of feigned indignation and victim-playing, how about you explain why this is different than the other open, themed housing examples I provided, and why this one is more worthy of your shaming. It's not likely there are a lot of non-asians in the asian housing, and we know there aren't many people of color in the open KA and who knows how many other white or all white all male or all female fraternities and sororities in this country, so that argument is worthless. Tell me what it is about black people, Bob?

If there are other universities providing similar segregated housing for Asian Americans that's also fucked up. Now how about you focus on the issue at hand instead of trying to flip the script. Would you be okay with a university providing this sort of dorm for white students?

Back