• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Car Insurance/Totaled Car Question

Do you have a USAA Five star shop nearby? They are usually pretty good at fixing instead of totalling. And no, you don't have to be insured by USAA to use those shops.

So this week was driving back from the beach with my son and we stopped at a gas station off 85 in GA near the SC line. As I was attempting to put him back in his car seat (which is on the driver’s side), the woman in the big work truck at the pumps next to ours drove off, clipping my rear driver’s side door, bending it forward against the driver’s door (both were open). Lots of damage to the rear door, wouldn’t close, etc, and a little damage to the front door. Called the cops and when he came out he actually arrested the other driver due to a suspended license.

I filed through my insurance (State Farm) since the officer couldn’t legally assign fault due to being on private property. But he was supposedly gonna check surveillance footage to essentially confirm she was the one who caused it, no idea if that happened.

Got my car to the body shop, got a rental, etc. Will have a $500 deductible. SF would then try to get reimbursement from GEICO.

Then this morning I got a call from a local adjustor for the other insurance to come out and take pics. Told him I don’t have the car he said no problem, would have it reassigned to someone local. Then I immediately got a call from their office to get details and I also gave him the shop info but when I told him I had already made a claim through mine he said that’s fine I’ll cancel the visit and we’ll just pay them back.

Now I’m wondering if I made a mistake? As I said she was not found at fault so I figured best to go through mine, plus quicker. But now that the other insurer is on the case did I fuck up? Reading Reddit seems to have mixed reviews on what to do as some say yours is best since they’ll fight for you and the other one might drag their feet. But if you go through theirs then you don’t risk your premium going up. Also I hope I get my $500 reimbursed.

Your insurance company will do everything they can to get reimbursed by the other driver's insurance company, including subrogating your deductible.

That’s what I figured, especially if they aren’t decided to be at fault. And I do t want all that to play out before I get the car fixed.

Back