• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Car stereo replacement

NoVaDeac

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the factory head unit in my car with something that has a USB jack for plugging in an iPod. I drive a Ford Escape so I can fit a double DIN unit when replacing the old stereo. Does anyone have any experience with a similar upgrade and would be willing to help me out with some recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Full disclosure: I know jack shit about electronics. I'm going to have to pay for someone to install whatever I buy for me.

What kind of price range are you looking at?

I would go with an Alpine. It is a little bit more than a pioneer but it has the best ipod function. You can search through stuff much easier since you search by letter. My dad and my brother got pioneer units and while they work you can't search so its really annoying to try and find stuff on your ipod. Also the pioneer isn't that much more. I'd definitely check out Cnet for some reviews.

This is an old review but it gives you the idea of the system. http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car...29_7-33490617.html?tag=rb_content;contentBody

and here is the new version http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x305s It is a little pricy but if you use your ipod over CD's then it's probably worth the money. Also the new pandora feature is pretty cool so if you have an iphone thats a nice touch.

Last edited:
I have an Alpine and it came with a rear Ipod connector (plugged into the back of the unit) and the connector for the Ipod went into my glove box. Plug the Ipod in and then you can control it fully on the actual head unit. I'd suggest something like that as opposed to a USB port on the front.

Also, you can do a single Din unit if you find one you like. They'll come with an adapter bracket or the installers will make one that will fill the other space. So don't feel you have to do a double if you like a single unit. I have a double slot but went with a single.

and here is the new version http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x305s It is a little pricy but if you use your ipod over CD's then it's probably worth the money. Also the new pandora feature is pretty cool so if you have an iphone thats a nice touch.

I basically have the old version of this and love it. Was just about to recommend this if it's in the OP's budget.

Go to crutchfield.com. You can search which units fit your vehicle and search for whatever options you want. Most come with free installation kits and the installation is simple (even if you don't know what you're doing)

I have an Alpine and it came with a rear Ipod connector (plugged into the back of the unit) and the connector for the Ipod went into my glove box. Plug the Ipod in and then you can control it fully on the actual head unit. I'd suggest something like that as opposed to a USB port on the front.

I have the same Alpine with the rear Ipod interface which I also mounted in the glovebox. I love it. I think you need the full Ipod interface (not just the USB port) to be able to fully control the Ipod from the head unit. It charges the Ipod as well while it is running, so you never have to take the Ipod out unless it is to add new music. The Alpine Ipod interface will also work with an iphone.

And I wouldn't pay for someone to install it, it is extremely easy and that way you can mount the ipod wherever you want. If you order it from Crutchfield they send you the instructions for your particular car. Plus, having the dashboard off allows you to run any other accessory wires (navigation, sirius, phone charger, etc) where you want them to go.

I would go with an Alpine. It is a little bit more than a pioneer but it has the best ipod function. You can search through stuff much easier since you search by letter. My dad and my brother got pioneer units and while they work you can't search so its really annoying to try and find stuff on your ipod. Also the pioneer isn't that much more. I'd definitely check out Cnet for some reviews.

This is an old review but it gives you the idea of the system. http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car...29_7-33490617.html?tag=rb_content;contentBody

That is an absolutely gorgeous system but out of my price range. I'd be looking to spend more like 250 at the highest end.

FWIW, I don't know how they are anymore, but Alpine's built-in amps are FAR superior to Pioneer's. When my speakers were only powered by the head unit with my Alpine, they sounded much better than with a Pioneer. Same went for powering them with amps.

+1 on the Alpine recommendation. I put the IVA-w505 in my XTerra years ago and love it. Full iPod integration, easy to scroll through the alphabet, great sound, and I even got a box on ebay that lets it play DVDs while I drive.

I have never had any problems with two different Pioneer units. The fact only two brand names (of probably half a dozen) have been mentioned should tell you all you need to know.

Also, double din units almost always look like cheap ass garbage. Go for a single din and get an adapter that includes storage space beneath. Crutchfield is going to be a bit expensive, but it will include everything you need (adapter, wiring harness, and good instructions).

One more thing, considering lighting. My first Pioneer unit, although subdued compared to most units, had the most obnoxious blue lighting that really bothered me on longer night drives. The lighting on my new one is much dimmer and matches that car's lighting as well (it looks about as factory as an aftermarket stereo could look, and that's really what you'll probably want).

Last edited:
I have never had any problems with two different Pioneer units. The fact only two brand names (of probably half a dozen) have been mentioned should tell you all you need to know.

Also, double din units almost always look like cheap ass garbage. Go for a single din and get an adapter that includes storage space beneath. Crutchfield is going to be a bit expensive, but it will include everything you need (adapter, wiring harness, and good instructions).

One more thing, considering lighting. My first Pioneer unit, although subdued compared to most units, had the most obnoxious blue lighting that really bothered me on longer night drives. The lighting on my new one is much dimmer and matches that car's lighting as well (it looks about as factory as an aftermarket stereo could look, and that's really what you'll probably want).

You bring up some good points. When I first started looking, I thought I wanted a double din. Aftering seeing them in the store today, they did look like ass. I'm definitely planning on getting a single

I checked my model number, it is the Alpine CDE-103BT. It is a couple of years old now, so just Googling it looks like you get a new one for like $170. You would just need to add the full-speed ipod cable for the rear port, so you should still be well under your $250 range. Adding to what I said before about installing it yourself, when the dashboard is off you can route the cord for the bluetooth mic behind the instrument panel and pillar molding so that it is completely concealed before coming out by the sun visor.

I had the Clarion CX501 head unit in my 4run er and it is phenomenal. The USB port is in the front of the unit and it has built-in Bluetooth. Looks like Crutchfield carries it for 220 at the moment.

Back