• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

I had some work to do. I figured I may as well stay up for the 3 am EST X-Men '97 premiere. I just finished watching the last two episodes of the original run, Descent, the Mister Sinister origin and Graduation Day I didn't remember much of the latter, but it was a good episode. I used to record these on a VCR back at Wake. Good times. Can't believe we're getting new episodes after all these years.

Wow. Episode 1 was excellent. True to the spirit of the original series, a worthy update. This is a true evolution of XTAS in ways I expected, ways I hoped, and ways that truly surprised me. The voice acting was spot on, the old voices, and the replacements. I think they trolled us a little with the trailer. Wolverine's line from the trailer is the only one where he didn't sound spot on like the original series.

Last edited:
Just finished Episode 2. This show has no right being this good. It has far surpassed my expectations. You all need to hurry up and watch it so we can discuss it.

I wanted them to update the iconic intro but I wasn't sure they'd get it right. It was better than I expected. It was excellent. The animation was nearly identical to the original, cleaned up and updated where it should be, and I love how they added characters, especially Morph. The "previously on X-Men" was an unnecesary but great touch.

I watched the first two seasons over the last few weeks and the tone of '97 lines up well with the original. So far, they haven't shied away from the unapologetic "wokeness" of the original nor did they go all in and try to make it specific to today. They didn't soften the edges because the original show took on bigotry in ways that is still relevant now. Magneto's speech in Episode 2 was amazing. They really had a Holocaust survivor condemn racism, sexism, anti-LGBTQ+ and religious bigotry by saying, "The oppressed become oppressors" followed by a full-on January 6. “Is this the high road designation? If so, I say I as have too many times before, ‘Never again.’”

This show is so good. It puts me back in the space of being a high school and college kid who wasn't too grown to watch quality cartoons that appealed to people of all ages. The show grew up with the fans in the way it handles mature subjects. And Wolverine saying "pissed" and "crap" doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Just finished Episode 2. This show has no right being this good. It has far surpassed my expectations. You all need to hurry up and watch it so we can discuss it.

I wanted them to update the iconic intro but I wasn't sure they'd get it right. It was better than I expected. It was excellent. The animation was nearly identical to the original, cleaned up and updated where it should be, and I love how they added characters, especially Morph. The "previously on X-Men" was an unnecesary but great touch.

I watched the first two seasons over the last few weeks and the tone of '97 lines up well with the original. So far, they haven't shied away from the unapologetic "wokeness" of the original nor did they go all in and try to make it specific to today. They didn't soften the edges because the original show took on bigotry in ways that is still relevant now. Magneto's speech in Episode 2 was amazing. They really had a Holocaust survivor condemn racism, sexism, anti-LGBTQ+ and religious bigotry by saying, "The oppressed become oppressors" followed by a full-on January 6. “Is this the high road designation? If so, I say I as have too many times before, ‘Never again.’”

This show is so good. It puts me back in the space of being a high school and college kid who wasn't too grown to watch quality cartoons that appealed to people of all ages. The show grew up with the fans in the way it handles mature subjects. And Wolverine saying "pissed" and "crap" doesn't hurt either.

And this teaser for the Captain America and Black Panther WWII game came out today. It looks fantastic.

I was really looking forward to the X-Men cartoon and was petrified it wouldn't live up to my lofty expectations.

But holy shit were those episodes fire.

My only complaint is even though its the same voice actor, Wolverine sounds very different.

I guess my other complaint is having to wait a week between episodes.

Youngest and I have been watching the originals (mid s4 at the moment). We watched Scarlett witch and quicksilver find out they were spoiler!!! magneto's kids!!! As the end credits begin he says, "is there list of must watch episodes? Sooooo muuuuch filler."

Are we sure you're mine?

Which episodes did they think were filler? I still need to watch S3-most of 5. I guess since Seasons 3 and 4 have specific arcs, the in-between eps seem like filler. But from what I remember, they introduce characters who are important to the larger X-Men lore.

My son and I just finished getting through all of the MCU movies thru Endgame this past weekend (though he's seen Spiderman 2). Sure, some of them aren't as good as I remember (Dr. Strange IMO), some are better than I remember (Captain Marvel surprisingly), but I find it so nuts and awesome that I lived through 10 years of ongoing storyline/connected movies that in general I enjoyed all of. Given where the MCU is now, I just can't envision anything like that happening ever again. And man does it suck not having the tentpoles of Ironman and Cap around anymore.

Which episodes did they think were filler? I still need to watch S3-most of 5. I guess since Seasons 3 and 4 have specific arcs, the in-between eps seem like filler. But from what I remember, they introduce characters who are important to the larger X-Men lore.
Nothing specific, but the quieter character driven eps are probably not his favorite. Which is odd considering how much he loved andor.

Without looking, Jubilee's Fairy Tale Theater pops to mind.

Whelp, guess I'm adding another animated show to my list that already includes Arcane, Blue Eye Samurai and Invincible (among others). Thought the first 2 episodes of XM97 were great. I had watched the first 2 episodes of the original (doubt I'll make it through a full re-watch, but maybe), and it's crazy how similar but better the new ones are. They obviously have to get the corny over-exposition of all the powers out there, but I thought they did it really well. I'm pretty sure everyone is juiced about the Cyclops rework that no one has seemed to be able to get right. Some of the highlights for me:

1: Cyclops using his beam for more than just blasting.
2: Morph using his powers to actually fight instead of just disguise (can't remember if that was really in the original).
3: Jubilee's club scene
4: Magneto's entire monologue in space, including the line: "I am trying to be better. Please, do not make me let you down."
5: The budding storyline between Rogue and Magneto (also don't think that was in the original?)

Honestly, the only things that bothered me at all were some of the mouth animations being a little wonky. Wolverine's voice, kind of, but it was only at certain parts. And probably my biggest gripe is just the giant M on Magneto's suit. Idk why, but that just seemed off to me. Thought the rest of his character's appearance was great.

Last edited:
The giant M is straight out of the comics. I agree it’s weird.

This week’s Invincible was good. Hard to live up to last week’s thriller so it was kind of a let down in a few ways.

Official teaser for The Penguin TV show coming this Fall on Max.

X97 Ep 3 was excellent. I love the pace. One thing I didn’t account for is that these episodes are about 8 minutes longer than the original series when you take out the previously on and intro. So this series is moving much faster than I expected and covers quite a bit of ground. This episode took advantage of being TV-PG vs. TV-Y7 in ways I did not expect.

My son and I just finished getting through all of the MCU movies thru Endgame this past weekend (though he's seen Spiderman 2). Sure, some of them aren't as good as I remember (Dr. Strange IMO), some are better than I remember (Captain Marvel surprisingly), but I find it so nuts and awesome that I lived through 10 years of ongoing storyline/connected movies that in general I enjoyed all of. Given where the MCU is now, I just can't envision anything like that happening ever again. And man does it suck not having the tentpoles of Ironman and Cap around anymore.
Yeah, the current MCU movie universe is a real mess, especially with all the legal troubles of Jonathan Majors, and the post-Endgame movies so far have been underwhelming, with the exception of Spider-Man: No Way Home. I agree that the MCU movie franchise really, really misses the Captain America/Iron Man films to tie everything together. Losing Chadwick Boseman didn't help either. They need to pause for a bit and do a reboot - most of the various Marvel TV series have been pretty good, certainly compared to most of the post-Endgame movies.

Back