• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cell Phone vs. Int'l Travel

Demonbeck

Reaction score
Going overseas in a couple of weeks. What's the best/cheapest way to be able to call the family while I'm gone?

Going overseas in a couple of weeks. What's the best/cheapest way to be able to call the family while I'm gone?

Cheapest is probably to just Skype with them.

What about a prepaid sim card once you get on the ground?

I assume that to use skype I need to get international data plan?

I assume that to use skype I need to get international data plan?

Nah, just use whatever wifi you can find/is available. Assuming you'll have that most places you'll stay.

Nah, just use whatever wifi you can find/is available. Assuming you'll have that most places you'll stay.

amazing how much easier this kind of shit has gotten in the last five years

When I traveled for 6 months straight after college I just used skype. There is a way to put money on your account so that you can call land-lines internationally. Back when I did it, which was two years ago, I would put $20 on there at a time and each call would cost no more than a few cents. It was actually remarkable. You can obviously call skype accounts for free. Definitely go this route instead of screwing around with a cell phone.

Back