• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread ♥️ : Support Academic & Railroad Labor! Fuck antisemitism in all forms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an observation on a day where I do my Shakespearean Sonnet/Bob Dylan/ Sharon Van Etten lesson plan, so I obviously killed it. Couldn't post on the boards for 45 mins though. I don't know if y'all know this, but I'm a damn good teacher.
Just another jerk groomer trying to peddle poetry and hairlessness (but thank god not joblessness) on our kids. And during Christmas time no less.

breaking news: most college educated white men only care about lower taxes and that's it. It's not about being dumb dumbs, it's about caring about their wallet and literally nothing else.
For me, it's mostly less government... Lower taxes is certainly a part of that, though.

The same energy that leads a guy to deposit $600K in an uninsured crypto account while expecting that deposit to be backed by the federal government he wants less of. I'm guessing he's also using the taxpayer-funded criminal justice system to get some of his money back.

The "Less government" argument is just "if I can't have it, no one will."

The same energy that leads a guy to deposit $600K in an uninsured crypto account while expecting that deposit to be backed by the federal government he wants less of. I'm guessing he's also using the taxpayer-funded criminal justice system to get some of his money back.

The "Less government" argument is just "if I can't have it, no one will."

Lol fun to see that “regulation is bad” notion trotted out on the same page of the thread as “unregulated capitalism took mah money”

Ask the CT:

I interviewed a promising candidate for a post-doc position working with me, and we had a great conversation and I was going to offer her the job, but when I reach out to her references, two didn't respond at all and the third was luke warm. So I offered it to another applicant. My question is, do I tell the applicant that her references dropped the ball and that she might want to find other people to vouch for her? It is going to completely impede this person's career if the people she thinks will support her and vouch for her don't.

it always blows my mind that in the academic field references actually are allowed to speak freely

what a fuck job it is for said reference to tank a job applicant

Ask the CT:

I interviewed a promising candidate for a post-doc position working with me, and we had a great conversation and I was going to offer her the job, but when I reach out to her references, two didn't respond at all and the third was luke warm. So I offered it to another applicant. My question is, do I tell the applicant that her references dropped the ball and that she might want to find other people to vouch for her? It is going to completely impede this person's career if the people she thinks will support her and vouch for her don't.

You should call her references back and let them know you went with another candidate based on what they told you.

Ask the CT:

I would absolutely tell the applicant.

These AI computers are spot on !

1670344906146.png

Ask the CT:

Is it a public university? I got an MPA and I remember it being hammered into us that in situations like this (or anything regarding hiring or employment status) you say as little as possible because there can be all sorts of statutes and regulations surrounding hiring that you're unaware of.

While the kind thing to do would be to say something, saying it to the wrong person can open a shitty can of worms.

Jeff Bezos would have been a failure if not for you liberal art nerds and your love of books.

Ironically I have been a loyal customer to ThriftBooks since I was at Wake, one of the largest used book sellers in the world that isn’t a subsidiary of Amazon.

These AI computers are spot on !

View attachment 2116
So Charlotte's growth and history ended with the Civil War? That tracks. #DeclineDeclared

Is it a public university? I got an MPA and I remember it being hammered into us that in situations like this (or anything regarding hiring or employment status) you say as little as possible because there can be all sorts of statutes and regulations surrounding hiring that you're unaware of.

While the kind thing to do would be to say something, saying it to the wrong person can open a shitty can of worms.

I think this is SOP for most places.

Related: If you can't sing someone's praises, you shouldn't serve as their reference (and should let them know when they ask*). Better the applicant/student/whatever hear that reality from you than the results of a failed, nebulous search.

*If a candidate isn't communicating with their listed references beforehand, that's a different issue.

Oh man, that is a good call that I had not thought of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back