• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Cooking > Eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a crisis of faith today, preceded by very little. I was just thinking, “I guess when all the kids come back to school in a week, we might as well go back to church”. And then this utter conviction that there is no god came over me, so that was fun. I’m pretty sure my wife is still gonna make me go to church though.

I had a crisis of faith today, preceded by very little. I was just thinking, “I guess when all the kids come back to school in a week, we might as well go back to church”. And then this utter conviction that there is no god came over me, so that was fun. I’m pretty sure my wife is still gonna make me go to church though.

I went through the same thing about five years ago. I can post the long version tomorrow, but I did eventually come out of it with a faith that was perhaps not as strong, but less brittle. Feel free to PM me.

I invested In an Aeron chair a year and a half ago because I’m generally at my desk for 10-12 hours.

My rationale was that I spend more time in that chair than my bed and I made damn sure my mattress was as comfortable as possible.

I just ate two quarter pounders with cheese. I eat non-breakfast McDonald's maybe once a year.

Should I pull the trigger on throwing up now or just suffer through tomorrow feeling like shit?

Same philosophy as when I'm way too deep in the sauce to wake up effective the next day, just with garbage food instead of alcoholism.

In the Before Time a favorite Friday office thing was to get an enormous tray of takeout Indian food for lunch, suffer through a food coma for the remaining couple afternoon hours and then deal with the killer food hangover and gastro issues on Saturday.

Sometimes those food hangovers are worth it.

But this was McDonalds, that stink is already in your soul so pulling the trigger now won’t change you feeling like shit tomorrow so save your enamel.

I just ate two quarter pounders with cheese. I eat non-breakfast McDonald's maybe once a year.

Should I pull the trigger on throwing up now or just suffer through tomorrow feeling like shit?

Same philosophy as when I'm way too deep in the sauce to wake up effective the next day, just with garbage food instead of alcoholism.

you should probably just have a few beers now, so you get 2 for the price of 1

maybe you guys should man up and get real stomachs

I eat like chicken and vegetables all week so dumping 2lbs of carbs, salt, hot peppers and gravy on top of that has repercussions.

Wait that didn’t help on the man up did it...

I'd never experienced a food hangover until last year when I ate a ton of 1 am taco bell after a basketball game. I woke up feeling like I drank a case and a half of ice house. Until that point I didn't know that was a thing.

I'd never experienced a food hangover until last year when I ate a ton of 1 am taco bell after a basketball game. I woke up feeling like I drank a case and a half of ice house. Until that point I didn't know that was a thing.

wait you were sober at 1am eating taco bell? So many questions.

Any info on what Portland is like right now as a resident?

Just seeing this question from a week ago -

Portland is fine. There are demonstrations every night, yes; I hesitate to call them 'protests' because they're seemingly more and more focused on antagonizing police facilities and the officers who are there. People are showing up with their own plywood shields, and other are throwing things and using lasers to disable the officers who are there. When this happens, the event becomes an unlawful assembly and the police officers are able to employ force (CS gas, loudspeakers) to disperse the crowd... but these days the crowd fights back. On more than one occasion people have barricaded the doors of buildings and lit fires outside of them. The other night they tried to light the awnings, then threw stuff at the officers on the roof trying to put it out with an extinguisher. This is blatantly criminal activity and should not be conflated with the BLM message and the honest efforts to lift up BIPOC voices.
Those who are engaging in this criminal behavior believe they're doing a good thing and claim they won't stop until the police are abolished. This is ... just not reasonable. Their adamant stance makes me truly curious what will be the end of all this, though. Continuing on as this has for the last 90+ days is untenable.

During the daytime, there are still gatherings, protests, marches, etc. Those are interesting and safe; I'd be fine taking the kids to them.

Whatever the news is saying, bear in mind that pretty much all images are coming from a 2-block area in a large city. My daughter's daycare is 5 blocks away from 'the action' and I have zero hesitation in taking her there every day.

wait you were sober at 1am eating taco bell? So many questions.

We’d had an away game and I’d just gotten back to school. I can’t eat before our games because of nerves and Taco Bell was my only option.

I am loving the hell out of this Avett bros livestream from the speedway. We are chilling on the patio with BEARZ and it’s great.

Just seeing this question from a week ago -

Portland is fine. There are demonstrations every night, yes; I hesitate to call them 'protests' because they're seemingly more and more focused on antagonizing police facilities and the officers who are there. People are showing up with their own plywood shields, and other are throwing things and using lasers to disable the officers who are there. When this happens, the event becomes an unlawful assembly and the police officers are able to employ force (CS gas, loudspeakers) to disperse the crowd... but these days the crowd fights back. On more than one occasion people have barricaded the doors of buildings and lit fires outside of them. The other night they tried to light the awnings, then threw stuff at the officers on the roof trying to put it out with an extinguisher. This is blatantly criminal activity and should not be conflated with the BLM message and the honest efforts to lift up BIPOC voices.
Those who are engaging in this criminal behavior believe they're doing a good thing and claim they won't stop until the police are abolished. This is ... just not reasonable. Their adamant stance makes me truly curious what will be the end of all this, though. Continuing on as this has for the last 90+ days is untenable.

During the daytime, there are still gatherings, protests, marches, etc. Those are interesting and safe; I'd be fine taking the kids to them.

Whatever the news is saying, bear in mind that pretty much all images are coming from a 2-block area in a large city. My daughter's daycare is 5 blocks away from 'the action' and I have zero hesitation in taking her there every day.

Very interesting. A completely different take than my brother in law's facebook feed. Thanks leebs. Although I note there's no mention of the right wing agitators that also seem to be a part of the problem?

but we can see all your initials on the top score oh no better change your name again

Very interesting. A completely different take than my brother in law's facebook feed. Thanks leebs. Although I note there's no mention of the right wing agitators that also seem to be a part of the problem?

Well, last weekend and yesterday certainly escalated things.
I suppose there are two aspects: the right-wing media portrayal of “antifa” which is what I was more talking about above, and then the tensions between groups.
Last weekend and this weekend/yesterday have been particularly tense and heated. Yesterday a right-winger was shot. I have no details on that beyond what’s in the news; my guess is it was boogaloo or other crossfire because it’s hard to believe any news agency would keep it quiet if it were a left wing shooter. What a stupid, awful, terrible sentence that I can’t believe I am writing without irony.
I hate what our country has devolved to. I hate the lack of discourse that exists right now. I hate right-wing nutters for their inability to recognize that this is not about them and their lives are not at stake. The only thing truly threatened about their way of life is their ability to be racist without being called out for it. Yesterday was basically a fucking Klan rally without the hoods.

All that said, Portland is still fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back