• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Going To The Mattresses !!! !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you wear a mask on the sidewalk to watch cars go whizzing by at 40 mph ? What for ?

my front yard is 4 feet from a sidewalk of a busy road

guessing this is less of a problem in cul de sac america

So you wear a mask on the sidewalk to watch cars go whizzing by at 40 mph ? What for ? You're not emerging from a bomb shelter when you go outside. If you practice reasonable social distancing, you're not going to catch this outside.

But you're correct that I wasn't referring to people who sleep five feet from sidewalks that are apparently jammed with people 24 hours per day.

The antibody test thing is all over the place, most of them trash relative to what you want to know. There isnt even a reference standard yet which I guess the FDA has decided they don't want to do because why do something easy that is always done. Who the fuck knows anymore we are basically an undeveloped country now.

from what I understand, it's pretty hard to get infected from someone outside if you're reasonably apart

We all agree that Senator Burr is going to escape any real punishment, but why did he wear a UNC mask ?

I read a thread on Twitter today regarding the testing protocol/quarantine setup for entering Hong Kong on an airplane and it made me realize even moreso that we are just woefully behind the eight ball on this. Mandatory 2 week quarantine, self-test upon entering the Hong Kong airport, everybody spaced out, staff who are fully covered handle all bags, tracking bracelet, journal to write down what you do/who you do come in contact with.

We don't have any of that - at all, and want to talk about reopening lol.

In the same realm, Wuhan had 6 cases yesterday so they are testing an additional 11M people in the next two weeks.

The USA hasn't conducted 11M cases yet during this entire epidemic.

It's astonishing how far behind we are to be a world superpower. Not to mention how many lives it will cost, while the federal government seemingly doesn't care.

Just got an email from SiriusXM about the Fleetwood Mac channel so I'm pretty much set for spring.

You have to imagine that their listening times and completely fallen off the cliff without people in their cars. I miss the 10 minutes of the McElroy/Kannell morning show that I used to listen to.

Just got an email from SiriusXM about the Fleetwood Mac channel so I'm pretty much set for spring.

You have to imagine that their listening times and completely fallen off the cliff without people in their cars. I miss the 10 minutes of the McElroy/Kannell morning show that I used to listen to.

We have Sirius XM in both of our cars... Every 6 months I call them up before the annual renewal for each car (~$200ish). Usually, they come down to $100 when I say to cancel it. This time, when I called in late April, it was $60.

Still expensive for Yacht Rock, Tom Petty, VSIN, and College ESPN... But I am a creature of habit.

And now I see the Fleetwood Mac e-mail... 3:43pm.

"Lose yourself in a landslide of Fleetwood Mac."

Um... No thanks.

Apparently the word "tusk" is slang for penis and Nick Fleetwood wanted it name an album after a slang word for penis, and make a title track.

I read a thread on Twitter today regarding the testing protocol/quarantine setup for entering Hong Kong on an airplane and it made me realize even moreso that we are just woefully behind the eight ball on this. Mandatory 2 week quarantine, self-test upon entering the Hong Kong airport, everybody spaced out, staff who are fully covered handle all bags, tracking bracelet, journal to write down what you do/who you do come in contact with.

We don't have any of that - at all, and want to talk about reopening lol.

In the same realm, Wuhan had 6 cases yesterday so they are testing an additional 11M people in the next two weeks.

The USA hasn't conducted 11M cases yet during this entire epidemic.

It's astonishing how far behind we are to be a world superpower. Not to mention how many lives it will cost, while the federal government seemingly doesn't care.

I straight up don't believe anything China says or reports, unfortunately

Scaling up these tests is a real mofo. Need all the different materials, the chemicals, the manpower, and the machines. Plus all the regulations that keep the testers safe.

Has there actually be an antibody test that has gotten full FDA approval, instead of the wave-of-the-hand process they are currently operating with? I don’t need to pay $300 for a test that’s going to be wrong half the time.

I paid $15 w/ Copay.

I feel like there are false positives but I don't think a blood test would give you a false negative, can someone smart confirm

So you wear a mask on the sidewalk to watch cars go whizzing by at 40 mph ? What for ? You're not emerging from a bomb shelter when you go outside. If you practice reasonable social distancing, you're not going to catch this outside.

But you're correct that I wasn't referring to people who sleep five feet from sidewalks that are apparently jammed with people 24 hours per day.

I mean I don’t put a mask on to get the mail or sit on my porch but walking my dog on a 6 ft wide sidewalk in my neighborhood I’ll come across a couple dozen people in a 20 min walk

I paid $15 w/ Copay.

I feel like there are false positives but I don't think a blood test would give you a false negative, can someone smart confirm

Yes, possible to have false negative with a blood test. Antibody levels wane over time as well as take time to build. So say you were infected 2 weeks ago with an asymptomatic infection, took the test this week there's a chance that your antibody levels are below the serological cutoff for positive. This is especially true because a lot of these tests for some reason (Its a cost thing) are running a single IgG response to a single viral antigen. Then you have the opposite spectrum of too much time has passed with say you had the, I was really sick in January with something I never felt before confirmation bias thought and it actually was Covid-19 now that 4 months have passed your antibody levels may have shrunk to a level thats below cutoff.

The cutoff is usually based on a reference sample set, but as I said for some unknown reason this doesnt exist. So every company gets to choose there positive and negative control, now say you want to make sure your test really works you pick only samples from RT-PCR positive hospitalized patients that have recovered a month ago to maximize the amount of antibody for your positive test control thats what happened before the FDA finally realized this let everyone have a test was a dumb approach. You also have a shifting cutoff based on do you want specificity or sensitivity, It is often impossible to have both high sensitivity and high specificity, and you must select an appropriate trade-off. For
sero-surveillance of pathogens with low prevalence (<20%), you prioritizing specificity. For example, if the true sero-prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in a population is 8%; a test with 100% sensitivity and 90% specificity, so catch all true positive but lots of false positives would return an estimate of 1x8% + 0.1x92% = 17.2%, a big difference from true prevalence.

I mean I don’t put a mask on to get the mail or sit on my porch but walking my dog on a 6 ft wide sidewalk in my neighborhood I’ll come across a couple dozen people in a 20 min walk

I don't have any difficulty social distancing on a walk as long as I don't go to the park. People just step into the yard or planting strip to avoid each other.

71UJ8ePjoKL.jpg

I flew over this neighborhood in Phoenix last last fall in my way to Reno for a Conference.

1954cad0bd890d0cff0915d4f6e65eae.jpg

I don't have any difficulty social distancing on a walk as long as I don't go to the park. People just step into the yard or planting strip to avoid each other.

Unfortunately at least on my street for long stretches it’s street with cars parked on the curb, sidewalk, fence.

Any other cool tales from the suburbs you want to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back