• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Going To The Mattresses !!! !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made it almost all the way through, but used it like a guessing game to see if I knew who people were. The only two whose names I knew off the top of my head were Stanley Tucci and Julianne Moore - the others are like that woman from american horror story or the girl from one tree hill. Its truly a whos who of B list celebs.

Next time the screen actors guild is like, "hey B-lister, he's a spot. You're white, so we'll pay you more or whatever. You're going to have a fellow black cast member who is paid less." 100% chance nothing comes of that. Shit is just as bad as police unions.

Next time the screen actors guild is like, "hey B-lister, he's a spot. You're white, so we'll pay you more or whatever. You're going to have a fellow black cast member who is paid less." 100% chance nothing comes of that. Shit is just as bad as police unions.

idk i'm pretty sure the 2004 film Crash ended racism as we know it

idk i'm pretty sure the 2004 film Crash ended racism as we know it

I love your apathetic humor lately. Really striking the right chord. Seriously.

It's like the whole fucking world is burning and you're just here with us on a message board ticky-tapping keys like a bro.

i think i saw Daneraeys in there (sp?)

also eleanor from the good place. kristen bell?

i like both of them

I love your apathetic humor lately. Really striking the right chord. Seriously.

It's like the whole fucking world is burning and you're just here with us on a message board ticky-tapping keys like a bro.

my wife (who is a better person than me in every way) works in communications for a very trusted brand

she is working 12 hr days the past few weeks trying to strike precisely the right tone about black lives matter and coronavirus and unemployment and everything else and be a Good Brand Ally

and she's exhausted trying to thread the needle between tokenism and advocacy, fighting with senior management about getting a statement out at all, amidst layoffs, etc. etc.

i mostly played mafia this week

interesting the difference between thoughts on unions among blue collar workers (and sympathizers) in the south and those elsewhere

It's a good question. If you're a defense attorney it potentially eliminates the Karen who sits there and says, "well, he's probably innocent, but I just can't vote to acquit, because what if he really did do it and I let a killer on the street?"
Okay, what would be *the way to answer that question to NOT be eliminated* from being on the jury, in your opinion, GTB?
Assuming, of course, that any other answer would get you eliminated. I'm honestly curious.

here's a challenge

see how long you can make it in this 2 minute video

29 seconds. And that's a few longer than actual, 'cause I looked down at the comments at the end. :/

Reflecting on this, the whole video undermines what it means to take responsibility. Taking responsibility requires action. What are the action other than public masturbation that these people are taking?
That video is the Floyd Riots version of the Celebrity "Yacht Quarantine" videos a few months ago.

Okay, what would be *the way to answer that question to NOT be eliminated* from being on the jury, in your opinion, GTB?
Assuming, of course, that any other answer would get you eliminated. I'm honestly curious.

I have no idea. It would depend on the facts of the case and the aims of the lawyers.

I've been called for jury duty a number of times in Austin and been able to attend twice -- both times dismissed in selection when lawyers asked the same (standard) question: if there were nine guilty people and one innocent person would you send them all to prison or let them all free? I guess prosecutors don't like my answer.

The second one was a deeply fucked up child sex abuse case, so i was glad to avoid that trauma.

Some answer like, "I'd do whatever the jury instructions allowed" would be a pretty neutral answer, but still might get you disqualified.

Most every attorney has a strategy going into a criminal trial. Typically, they are looking for answers that would either advance or hurt that strategy. Also, indications of bias that could roadblock the strategy all together.

Defendants are given a number of jurors that they can just eliminate for no reason other than they just don't want them. Peremptory strikes. Typically, you never want to run out of peremptory strikes, because then you're fucking STUCK with whatever comes next.

I've only had one trial where I used my last peremptory strike. As I said, we don't get to voir dire in federal court; the judge does it. And most of our judges are very conservative and SUPER interested in what we call "juror rehabilitation." Like, if Danny Klansman comes in and says he hates black people, then the Judge may ask a followup question like, "but will that really influence your ability to be fair and impartial in this case?" Ol' Danny Klansman then has the opportunity to say, "oh, no. I'll be super fair and impartial to the nice black fella seated next to the jew lawyer."

So then it's my job to either use a peremptory strike or try to approach the bench and make a "for cause" argument that would save my peremptory strike, but cause the judge to reflect on whether or not their last 20 years on the bench were drenched in racism.

Anyway, the time I used my final peremptory strike, a dude wearing everything but a MAGA hat was seated as the final juror. He had a relative that was in law enforcement. He was about 60 years old. Wasn't in a leadership position at his company, but had worked all his life. No criminal history. Had recently had a break in at his house where things were stolen, but no one was caught. But the final straw was that he was an NRA member. I had requested a followup question to see if he received annual publications and whether he read those publications. He answered in the affirmative to both.

For those that don't know, the NRA gives annual publications to it's life-time members (I'm one). The articles in those magazines continually reinforce that if you're seated on a jury in a gun crime, you need to convict and you need to punish as harshly as possible.

There was just no fucking way that exercising that last strike could lead to a worse juror. And it didn't.

I've re-read this post and it's possible that I have some pent up resentment about racial injustice in the federal court system.

I'm going to take the opportunity to tell the story of a unicorn juror who deserves recognition of just how fucking brave she is/was.

Racism is so fucking pervasive in our society. Representing indigent black people day-in and day-out makes one acutely aware of this; especially when picking a jury. Many years ago, I was selecting a jury for a gun case. As some of the other attorneys have said, typically, sample questions are submitted to the judge ahead of time, and then the judge selects the questions that s/he likes to present to the jury.

I had said before that I like to submit the question, "do you have a bumper sticker or special license plate?" Well, this old judge humored me for once and allowed it. What followed still blows me away today.

A young woman, maybe about 22, who was in very good shape had been seated as one of the first pool of 12 to be voir dire'd. She had a long-sleeve camo jacket, but was otherwise dressed well. When it was her turn to answer the question her reply was, "I have a southern pride license plate." The judge asked what that meant, and she said, "I don't really know what to call it, stars and bars, I guess." I'm leaning deep forward in my seat at this point, but the judge brushes it off with a casual, "well, would having that have any effect on your ability to be fair and impartial in this case?" She hesitated. Then said, "well, it might." I keep a poker face, but mentally, my jaw dropped. The next five minutes were her explaining to the judge how she didn't have any black friends or know any black people personally, how her father and brothers had told her that black people were all bad, and she didn't know the defendant, but she felt that maybe those experiences would cause her to not be fair. Her words were, "I think I might be biased, because I've been taught that I should be."

Reflecting on that experience has always given me hope for humanity. The young woman had to be so damn brave to say those things in front of about 50 people and logic out how her own feelings might create unfairness - and then choose to do that instead of just remaining quiet and going home and saying, "yeah, I sent that <n-bomb> to prison, daddy."

Never forget that California's strict gun laws started with Reagan and the NRA to target the Black Panthers.

Fair point, but those gun laws are perpetuated by blues now. Like, wildly.

I'm hopeful that the recent protests will cause reds and blues to value the right to possess firearms more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back