• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Going To The Mattresses !!! !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about cowardly, weakass cheap shots...I have no problem with you ignoring me, but trying to attack me while doing so shows the backbone of a jellyfish...

At least if you are going to do it, be original or the least bit creative. This post shows your ignorance and being afraid of your shadow and probably everything else.

The theme of your life.

LOL. YOu have me on ignore and talk shit about me all the time.

GTB's views on race relations and courtroom stories vs previous Trump support is quite the juxtaposition.

yeah, I have a hard time fleshing out a coherent political view for GTB

not as in "he's not a Republican/Democrat/Libertarian/etc." but as in holding contradictory viewpoints

not as in "he's not a Republican/Democrat/Libertarian/etc." but as in holding contradictory viewpoints

https://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalCompassMemes/

I found this awesome (bad) community about a month ago. I'm libright and agree with about 95% of the libright memes. I think a lot of the folks here aren't super fiscally conservative, which is were we have a disconnect.

Ha. Just the other day I was browsing the Politics board and was struck by how contradictory your views are, in terms of seemingly being discontent with many governmental exercises of power and wanting to reduce/eliminate them (police, military, immigration control) but want the government to drastically expand its power in other areas (most notably housing). As much as we may like to see ourselves as rational actors, politics stir up too many visceral feelings for anybody to be wholly consistent.

Just to clarify a bit on my voir dire post. The question was asked to everybody in the room at once, and the lawyer went down the row asking every single person that question. I wasn't getting any individual attention.

I assumed that the prosecutor would prefer somebody who would lock up the innocent guy to get the nine bad guys and the defense attorney would prefer the juror who would let everybody free to protect the innocent guy. It's all reductive, obviously, but I think I see why the question was asked.

I was just assuming it was standard because I heard it twice, but I suppose they could have been lawyers from the same office or something.

The actual interrogation part never got even close to me, which was disappointing because I wanted to serve. But man, the number of grandstanding, shockingly honest jurors either ranting about politics or admitting to every small crime they've committed in their life blew me away

https://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalCompassMemes/

I found this awesome (bad) community about a month ago. I'm libright and agree with about 95% of the libright memes. I think a lot of the folks here aren't super fiscally conservative, which is were we have a disconnect.

Nice I see the smart ass, gym teaching, gun loving, mcdonalds worker in you.

gzh4fysti9451.png

Ha. Just the other day I was browsing the Politics board and was struck by how contradictory your views are, in terms of seemingly being discontent with many governmental exercises of power and wanting to reduce/eliminate them (police, military, immigration control) but want the government to drastically expand its power in other areas (most notably housing). As much as we may like to see ourselves as rational actors, politics stir up too many visceral feelings for anybody to be wholly consistent.

I guess it's my own mind, but it doesn't seem contradictory to want to expand social programs while reducing law enforcement efforts

Nor would I think it contradictory to want to shrink the military and expand the education spend.

From a more process-oriented viewpoint, I find it contradictory to think that the government's powers should be curtailed or certain branches of the government should be wiped out because they're plagued by racism, injustice, inefficiency, or incompetence, and yet think that if the government were to extend its powers or add branches, that those efforts would be marked by fair play, justice, efficiency, and competence. Juice has expressed that he doesn't trust state or local officials to do something as simple as deciding to remove statues, but wants those same officials to make much more far-reaching decisions over their constitutents' lives.

From a more ends-based viewpoint, I'd agree that there's nothing contradictory about it at all. And, to clarify, I'm not saying that there is anything contradictory about it. In general, I think that Juice is one of the more intelligent and thoughtful posters here. I only thought it was funny that he made that comment since I had the exact same thought about him when I saw his post about abolishing police.

We don’t necessarily have to have this convo here but police abolition or defund/refund arguments do suggest systemic problems but it seems less logical to me to ask a broken system to reform itself than to try a different approach altogether.

In general, I think that Juice is one of the more intelligent and thoughtful posters here.

talk about damning with faint praise

but seriously, and without getting too deep into it, I do think there is some merit to the point, but also think there is an apples and oranges comparison at play too

I really struggle where I fall on the Authoritarian/Libertarian axis. Because I like some rebellion and rioting, but I also don't trust our populace to make their own decisions.

my wife (who is a better person than me in every way) works in communications for a very trusted brand

she is working 12 hr days the past few weeks trying to strike precisely the right tone about black lives matter and coronavirus and unemployment and everything else and be a Good Brand Ally

and she's exhausted trying to thread the needle between tokenism and advocacy, fighting with senior management about getting a statement out at all, amidst layoffs, etc. etc.

i mostly played mafia this week

Never occurred to me that Mrs. Townie would say “Townie, I need a ruling” as well.

For the record, her job should be pretty easy if the client is sincere.

From a more process-oriented viewpoint, I find it contradictory to think that the government's powers should be curtailed or certain branches of the government should be wiped out because they're plagued by racism, injustice, inefficiency, or incompetence, and yet think that if the government were to extend its powers or add branches, that those efforts would be marked by fair play, justice, efficiency, and competence. Juice has expressed that he doesn't trust state or local officials to do something as simple as deciding to remove statues, but wants those same officials to make much more far-reaching decisions over their constitutents' lives.

From a more ends-based viewpoint, I'd agree that there's nothing contradictory about it at all. And, to clarify, I'm not saying that there is anything contradictory about it. In general, I think that Juice is one of the more intelligent and thoughtful posters here. I only thought it was funny that he made that comment since I had the exact same thought about him when I saw his post about abolishing police.

The alternative to the government is the masses and/or “free market” which is more unreliable and more plagued by “racism, injustice, inefficiency, or incompetence.”

Your analysis only makes sense from a “government bad, individual freedom good” perspective. The Juice perspective acknowledges government as a flawed tool when run by corrupt people but potentially effective when run by people with good intent. Or it acknowledges that if government can’t be a tool for positive change, we are screwed so let’s try government.

which meme? there's a lot of them in there. or do you mean political axis memes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back