• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread Wavvesy: baby say goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
each of our mens rooms have two stalls that are fully enclosed rooms within the bathroom. it's so luxurious. Costanza had a great idea.

Yeah, or bathrooms are enclosed and have a deadbolt that, when turned, indicates occupied from the outside in red letters. So nice not to have someone jiggle the handle every five minutes.

Our office bathrooms feature stalls like a McDonald's bathroom, only somehow the partitions on all 3 sides are even lower. Like, if the person within stands up, you can see him from the neck up. It's definitely weird.

this is what our office bathroom looks like:

10051483_82c7458ddf_z.jpg

blergh. I just wrote a long email to someone basically calling them out for being a douche. That was fun.

So I was listening to sports a few nights ago and one of the announcers said that you can't make the finals of a tournament without a guy (or several) who's prepared to step up and make big plays.

I'm very interested in Big Play theory and since this is a sports board I'd like to run a few questions by you all.

What is a Big Play? How do we identify differences between the Small and Big Play in sports? If we examine basketball, there are several examples of plays that seem small at first - a good pass or (on the defensive end) a pass batted out of bounds - but upon closer inspection reveal a much Big(ger) influence on the game than their initial size suggests. Does this mean the Small Play does not exist - making all plays Big Plays?

Is the argument of the sports commentator logical? Could a theoretical team with no members (guys) prepared to step up and make big plays advance to the final round of a major tournament? Id est, could a team of players who regularly commit a number of Small Plays advance at a faster rate or farther?

What are your perspectives on Big Play theory?

So I was listening to sports a few nights ago and one of the announcers said that you can't make the finals of a tournament without a guy (or several) who's prepared to step up and make big plays.

I'm very interested in Big Play theory and since this is a sports board I'd like to run a few questions by you all.

What is a Big Play? How do we identify differences between the Small and Big Play in sports? If we examine basketball, there are several examples of plays that seem small at first - a good pass or (on the defensive end) a pass batted out of bounds - but upon closer inspection reveal a much Big(ger) influence on the game than their initial size suggests. Does this mean the Small Play does not exist - making all plays Big Plays?

Is the argument of the sports commentator logical? Could a theoretical team with no members (guys) prepared to step up and make big plays advance to the final round of a major tournament? Id est, could a team of players who regularly commit a number of Small Plays advance at a faster rate or farther?

ZT421Fz.gif

isn't this basically what Moneyball proved?
a more efficient team (built of small plays) can definitely have greater success than a team full of showboat players.

I think we have to first define "small plays", though

I am of the mindset that small plays do not exist; there are merely big plays and bigger plays

maybe we need to outline examples of plays and figure out how to categorize them before we proceed

let's start with the obvious: a grand slam home run on the best night of the year

that is a big play

This is going to be very sports specific. Soccer much different than basketball

a single dribble of a basketball on asphalt

pretty big play if you ask me

I think we have to first define "small plays", though

I am of the mindset that small plays do not exist; there are merely big plays and bigger plays

What about a substitution? That has an impact upon the game - however the impact is not explicitly quantifiable. Could this be an example of a Small Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back