• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread : welcome to the world of the plastic beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's entry.

Hello HR Person, it was a pleasure interviewing with your company last month, haven't had an update since then, Can you please me know if you filled the role?
Dear Timmy: We don't have any active roles at the moment. However, we are happy to revisit you and your information, if we do. Feel free to check in periodically.

Dear HR: Sorry, I don't know if that means you filled the role or if there no are no other active roles to apply for. Can we try again?
Dear Timmy: It means, we are holding on making an offer for that role. When we decide to move forward, we will be deciding between the 3 candidates (including you) who have interviewed for it.

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying....
so you're saying there's a chance?

meh it all you want but when you're applying to big government agencies and law firms the bottom line isn't being driven by kindness
I mean, we agree but I'm just advocating for a shred of human decency. It's not even in the fields you're talking about. I've had fly outs to academic jobs where I spend 48 hours with people, interviewing, teaching their students, preparing presentations, eating meals with them, etc. and never even a friendly riff on "just wanted to let you know that we offered somebody, so you can move on with your life now." I got an email from 1 of 4 spots that I interviewed with, and that came 18 months after our interview.

It might actually be worse in other sectors?

you could even just have a fucking form letter

like it's really not hard

or even like not easy
and yet, almost no one does this. It's infuriating.

When I was looking, I only had one potential employer with whom I actually had an interview send me any sort of communication letting me know that they were going a different way. For the rest, I had radio silence and maybe a system generated "thanks for applying, the position has been filled" email 2+ months after my interview. Kills me.

I always communicate with applicants one level below our highest level of engagement (we talked on the phone, you get an email; We did zoom/in-person, I'm calling you).

I mean, we agree but I'm just advocating for a shred of human decency. It's not even in the fields you're talking about. I've had fly outs to academic jobs where I spend 48 hours with people, interviewing, teaching their students, preparing presentations, eating meals with them, etc. and never even a friendly riff on "just wanted to let you know that we offered somebody, so you can move on with your life now." I got an email from 1 of 4 spots that I interviewed with, and that came 18 months after our interview.

That's horrible. Feel free to PM me with the deets though.

As someone with openings to fill (#makosmom), we have to absolutely ride (#makosmom) our HR folks to be responsive to candidates. We've lost folks to other employers because of how slow they were to communicate an offer.

seeing the hopscotch lineup now and realizing gould got tix on account of lola kirke

some bands further down the lineup I've seen and dug:

• Jeff Parker
  • Irreversible Entanglements: some pretty noisy avant garde jazz, I think from Philly (Park and IE both on the great International Anthem label)
  • Sam Evian: never seen him but know some of the Chicago guys he tours with
  • Florry: young and full of energy and a lot of fun
Not a big "I'm up to speed on modern music" guy (basically the only thing I know about non-pop music post 2006 comes from my middle kid or these here boards), but would have liked to see Japanese Breakfast (mainly because I read the lead singer's book) and Diggable Planets at Hopscotch.

Yep - this happened to me from an institution near and dear to many of us.

Seems like if the organization is actively interviewing for a role, they’ve determined they have a need )ie the organization is being harmed by this position being empty). So awful talent acquisition processes really are hurting the organization.

Some guy is in my email asking for the flight paths of airplanes. What’s this man think I do

I hate to commandeer the chat thread, but I need to rant.

I've felt nauseous all day... and, it's not the first time it's happened to me, but I still don't know how to process the following situation:

- meet new person.

- let them into my life & get to know them... while not hiding my own beliefs/values.

- slowly introduce them into my people as I get to know/trust their behavior.

- they become 'my friend' within my inner-circles, while showing none of their true selves.

and, BOOM

- new 'Joe and the Ho gotta go' bumper stickers plastered on their car they want my parking passes for.

....... and, another one bites the dust

When I was applying for jobs during my 3L year while waiting to hear back about my clerkship, I had interviews with like 4 different mid-sized firms. I never heard back from three of them and two years later received a letter in the mail from the fourth saying "thanks for your interview and time, we will keep your resume on file, but we went another way with this position." TWO YEARS LATER. At that point I had completed two years in a clerkship and been accepted for a job in the private sector after another entire interview cycle lol

Not a big "I'm up to speed on modern music" guy (basically the only thing I know about non-pop music post 2006 comes from my middle kid or these here boards), but would have liked to see Japanese Breakfast (mainly because I read the lead singer's book) and Diggable Planets at Hopscotch.
seen DP a few times -- it's fun

JB was fun at Pitchfork too

I've felt nauseous all day... and, it's not the first time it's happened to me, but I still don't know how to process the following situation:

- meet new person.

- let them into my life & get to know them... while not hiding my own beliefs/values.

- they become 'my friend' within my inner-circles, while showing none of their true selves.

and, BOOM

- new 'Joe and the Ho gotta go' bumper stickers plastered on their car they want my parking passes for.

Making friends as adults sucks

- meet new person.

and, BOOM

This sucks. The only fix I have found to work is to live in Vermont and not make friends.

As someone with openings to fill (#makosmom), we have to absolutely ride (#makosmom) our HR folks to be responsive to candidates. We've lost folks to other employers because of how slow they were to communicate an offer.
100% same - it's infuriating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back