• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Solid defense today by Almora, Bryant, Rizzo and Baez - good game all around.

Brasky gets to see Yu's first start of the year.

Was a pleasure to watch, great way to start the half.

Yu's actually made three starts but they're easy to forget since he hurt always. We'll see if he makes it to the rubber

Good Hector today. Hammel, Warren and Wood were OK as well. Rizzo with a 2 run go ahead double and Szczur with RBI single account for the offense. Add in solid D and the Cubs prevail 3-1 over the Rangers.

Stick around for the Sunday game Brasky.

Good Hector indeed. Nice dub.

Hopefully we can get on a little roll here, our only games not in either Chicago or just up the road in MIL in the next month is 3 games in OAK, that's it

Hamels tomorrow - last time he pitched in Wrigley was a no-no. Need those bats to start hitting.

Two good starts by the back end of our rotation - Cubs starters had an 8.81 ERA for the month of July before yesterday.

Lackey for the sweep.

Joe Nathan getting closer to a callup - has looked good in most of his outings this year at AA/AAA. Guessing he is the first guy to get called up when we either have a demotion/injury/waiver drop (RE: Clayton Richard).

Brian Matusz made his first appearance in AA yesterday - gave up 1 run over 3 1/3, struck out 6, walked 2. Not bad, assuming he will be up in a couple of weeks if he keeps it up. All the lefties we can get.

Matusz started in Iowa yesterday, goes 5 innings allows 2 runs - seemed pretty decent. Shocked they are looking for him to start with all the other options on the team - but at this point, they are concerned about SP depth and injuries and another lefty that can go 6+ would be nice.

2016 Chicago Cubs Thread: 47-25

Great weekend in Chicago. Rizzo's walk up songs are amazing. Unfortunately I watched Sunday's loss from Midway.

Cubbies now up 3-0 after an 11 pitch 3 jack from Rizzo against the Mutts.

Last edited:
Crazy - I was at citi and watched Lester get tattooed two weeks ago - this game? Completely different - hopefully this is a trend for the starters and they can keep it up.

Cubs finally end an eight game losing streak to the Mets with a 5-1 victory. Lester gains his tenth win with 7.2 innings of one run baseball. Szczur, Almora and Ross combine to add two runs to the three provided by Rizzo.

Fowler and Soler were sent to Iowa to begin rehab assignments. Fowler's return is targeted for this weekend. Soler will be given more time. Add in Nathan and Matusz as possible roster additions and the make up of this team could change dramatically by the end of July.

Arrieta correctly called out at home after the replay. Not sure I want Jake being waived home when it's going to be a tight at the plate, knowing that he'll try to score and then possibly slide in on his elbow, as he just did. He's fine but that could easily turn into a lingering injury.

Id also like to point out that I told y'all how overrated Heyward is and that I didn't want him. You can't come up through the two most douchtastic organizations in the NL and not be a fraud.

I love what he did for Grandpa Ross but I'm still not a fan.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Rizzo earns the Golden Sombrero in eight innings, the last two on high heat. Arrieta pitches 7 innings of one run baseball. Good to see. Game tied at one after 7.

Same crap, different day. Familia retired Szczur and Bryant without throwing strikes and depending on them to go after pitches out of the zone. The fact that he walked the first two batters and was low on all three pitches to Baez .... Until this offense shows better judgement and patience they will struggle winning close games.

I wonder if Heyward would have cut off the triple to the RF corner that accounted for the first Met run or would have caught the GWRBI hit in the ninth. Versatility is good but not at the expense of better defense. Just a thought.

Same crap, different day. Familia retired Szczur and Bryant without throwing strikes and depending on them to go after pitches out of the zone. The fact that he walked the first two batters and was low on all three pitches to Baez .... Until this offense shows better judgement and patience they will struggle winning close games.

I wonder if Heyward would have cut off the triple to the RF corner that accounted for the first Met run or would have caught the GWRBI hit in the ninth. Versatility is good but not at the expense of better defense. Just a thought.

I dont think Heyward gets to that ball in the 9th - don't think anyone does.

How we botched that ninth inning is beyond me - that was such a boring game to watch too, Cub hitters didn't do anything all game.

Holy cow Rizzo just destroyed that ball.

Nathan coming this weekend according to a couple of different websites.

Back