• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

^ agree. 9 wins in past 11 games. 2 games over .500. Beating up on bad teams, but the schedule is the schedule and you have to execute. Break out the brooms today!

Wonder how safe Jed is if the Cubs miss the playoffs once again.

Hoyer is OK. His decision to hold firm on his offers to pending free agents has proven correct so far. Schwarber continues to be a home run or nothing. He replaced that with Wisdom for less money. Rizzo has played decently but not to his level with the Cubs. Bellinger is Bellinger. Bryant has turned into the injury prone player he was at the end of his time with the Cubs. Morel says hello. Baez probably wishes he was still in Chicago. Swanson is better. Contreras is performing as usual. Gomes is an improvement, especially defensively and with the pitchers. This present Cub team is better than the one they replaced in 2021 and the farm system is much stronger. Granted there is less power in the lineup, but this group knows how to play as a unit and play their roles better. The defense has improved as well. The Cubs are contending for a playoff berth and the fans have hope again. What about that scenario would lead you to believe Hoyer is in trouble?

Last edited:
Hoyer is OK. His decision to hold firm on his offers to pending free agents has proven correct so far. Schwarber continues to be a home run or nothing. He replaced that with Wisdom for less money. Rizzo has played decently but not to his level with the Cubs. Bellinger is Bellinger. Bryant has turned into the injury prone player he was at the end of his time with the Cubs. Morel says hello. Baez probably wishes he was still in Chicago. Swanson is better. Contreras is performing as usual. Gomes is an improvement, especially defensively and with the pitchers. This present Cub team is better than the one they replaced in 2021 and the farm system is much stronger. Granted there is less power in the lineup, but this group knows how to play as a unit and play their roles better. The defense has improved as well. The Cubs are contending for a playoff berth and the fans have hope again. What about that scenario would lead you to believe Hoyer is in trouble?
As my question asked, would he be in trouble if the Cubs missed the playoffs again. 3 straight years, 4 out of 5 with a lose in the wildcard. He has had an above average payroll for the 3 years since Theo left. The Cubs are 198-231. Everything looks rosy now with the long win streak, but 2 weeks ago, it was another lost season. Still 4 games back in the division and wildcard. Huge series with the Reds this week. Lose 2 of 3 or get swept, then its a longshot to make the playoffs.

I agree with letting Baez, Conteras and Bryant leave. Surprisingly, Bryant has played more games than Morel this season. You can thank Ross for that. I still say that we should trade Stroman and try and resign Bellinger. But his agent is Boras, who has had a rocky relationship with the Cubs lately. Windy has stated the issues with Stroman, so I am not sure if any other team would want him now. But who knows

Cubs move for Candelario from Washington. He used to be in our farm system, so a coming home of sorts! Some reason, he reminds me of the Aramis Ramirez trade back in the day. Really good add

Candelario gives the Cubs another left handed bat in the starting lineup. The additional lefty has been identified as a consistent need all season. He is having a better than normal season. Time to get a LHP for the bullpen.

Vegas Jethro, Hoyer assumed command with a diminishing franchise and a host of free agent decisions to be made. Those decisions look good so far. I suspect ownership had a timeline for a return to the playoffs and believe Hoyer is on schedule. Just guessing.

Candelario gives the Cubs another left handed bat in the starting lineup. The additional lefty has been identified as a consistent need all season. He is having a better than normal season. Time to get a LHP for the bullpen.

Vegas Jethro, Hoyer assumed command with a diminishing franchise and a host of free agent decisions to be made. Those decisions look good so far. I suspect ownership had a timeline for a return to the playoffs and believe Hoyer is on schedule. Just guessing.
Yeah, thats why I asked the question. Because I have read reasons for both sides on the socials. Wanted to get everyone's take here. I assume every one but Windy is in the Hoyer In camp?

Yeah, thats why I asked the question. Because I have read reasons for both sides on the socials. Wanted to get everyone's take here. I assume every one but Windy is in the Hoyer In camp?

I’m torn on it. It looks like a semblance of a plan but I’m not quite sure where it’s headed. I think I’m willing to go another year with him, but next year has to be significant improvement in my mind.

Had this year been a sell off I would’ve said time to punt

It wouldn't surprise me if they put Stroman on the IL for "muscle fatigue" or something to give him a 2 week rest. And hope he can reset whatever he lost.

Last edited:
It would surprise me if they put Stroman on the IL for "muscle fatigue" or something to give him a 2 week rest. And hope he can reset whatever he lost.

I’ve always thought Stroman is what’s wrong with Stroman. Seems like a guy who gets in his own head. If he has a good run he stays there a while. One really bad outing and it snowballs

One of the talking heads on the MLB Network said that he thinks 87 wins gets the last wild card spot in the NL. The Cubs are 53-53. They need to go 34-20 to hit that mark. That is.630 winning percentage needed. Not sure we have enough pitching to do that, but hopefully we can start another streak tonight, Have to gain games on the Reds when we can,

Back