• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Yeah. I truly wonder how he’ll be without the protection around him in the Braves lineup.
I said the Cubs of yesteryear. The Cubs can 100% protect him if they like in terms of guys who put the ball in play. This team, however, really, really lacks pop save if Mash Mervis manages to hit the ground running (he might but he'll still be a rookie and the league will adjust, etc.). Basically it's a team full of Dansby type guys only several of them are not going to strike out nearly as much as him.

The Cubs get a quality shortstop at a premium price. If he produces like the past two years he will be a good acquisition.

Nah. They have a lot more depth to come up and help now from the minors. So treading water is probably a bit harsh on my part bc depth means a lot over the course of an MLB season. NVM the fact they lost more games to injury than all but one or two teams last year. But this still was the year to make a nice splash in free agency. Swanson would help but Correa was the guy. 13 years. Good lord
13 years is too many no doubt. But that’s the market this year. 7 years for Swanson is a good term in this market. Needs to add more quality pieces (not more Boxbergers).

13 years is too many no doubt. But that’s the market this year. 7 years for Swanson is a good term in this market. Needs to add more quality pieces (not more Boxbergers).
Totally agree. It's not that Boxberger was not quality last year. But he's a roll filing reliever. He could fall off a cliff tomorrow. I do like the work they've done in terms of building a team. But no true cornerstone, face of the franchise, holy shit guys were added.

Cubs about to sign Eric Hosmer.
Its about as good as cubs fans can hope for right now. Not sure there is anything better on the market and he comes super cheap, so if he sucks, cut him, no harm done. And he shouldn't hinder Mervis's growth, although, you would likely prefer a righty to platoon, but thats not easy to find as a 1B.

But, Cubs went into the offseason expected to sign big and left with Swanson, Belli and Taillon. Its ok, but this team isn't going to great - might be slightly competitive, but still need one more good bat. Devers pipedream would have been insane. Cubs just hoping Suzuki, Mervis, Morel all take leaps next year. Shohei pipedream also still alive. Cubs should still have a bunch of money to play around with, projected to have a $165 million payroll, which would put them in the 12-15 range of biggest payrolls, with $60 million+ still to spend before hitting the luxury tax, not that they are going to do that, just saying - there is room for some crazy contract.

Its about as good as cubs fans can hope for right now. Not sure there is anything better on the market and he comes super cheap, so if he sucks, cut him, no harm done. And he shouldn't hinder Mervis's growth, although, you would likely prefer a righty to platoon, but thats not easy to find as a 1B.

But, Cubs went into the offseason expected to sign big and left with Swanson, Belli and Taillon. Its ok, but this team isn't going to great - might be slightly competitive, but still need one more good bat. Devers pipedream would have been insane. Cubs just hoping Suzuki, Mervis, Morel all take leaps next year. Shohei pipedream also still alive. Cubs should still have a bunch of money to play around with, projected to have a $165 million payroll, which would put them in the 12-15 range of biggest payrolls, with $60 million+ still to spend before hitting the luxury tax, not that they are going to do that, just saying - there is room for some crazy contract.
Which shouldn't be an issue for this franchise, but apparently is unfortunately. Devers contract seems nuts, as most of the star contracts were this year, but that is the current market. Other than Swanson, the Cubs chose to handle the offseason like a small market team. This team could be ok if some the bargain additions play out, or it could be battling to stay out of the basement. I do like this team defensively, but it remains to be seen if it can score enough runs to be competitive.

Which shouldn't be an issue for this franchise, but apparently is unfortunately. Devers contract seems nuts, as most of the star contracts were this year, but that is the current market. Other than Swanson, the Cubs chose to handle the offseason like a small market team. This team could be ok if some the bargain additions play out, or it could be battling to stay out of the basement. I do like this team defensively, but it remains to be seen if it can score enough runs to be competitive.
Thing is what FA was there to sign here outside of Mancini? It isn't like there's a wealth of choices after Abreu went elsewhere.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of a front line starter. The Cubs have added a legit long term piece in Swanson and a decent 3-4 type starter. I have no huge issues with the placeholder type signings given we will see some of the kids get some run this year and even more likely to come up next year. I was disappointed over Correa, but it appears his market may have been more depressed in terms of teams willing to go risk/reward than any of us knew.

I will say they are a significantly better team on paper this year - more established players and more depth ready to arrive from the minors. I get that there was little place to go but up, but they did go up on paper.

As for battling for the basement - there are two teams in the division that lost 100 games last year. Neither really improved. The Cubs absolutely improved on both sides of the game. I have more questions about the pitching continuing to produce than the lineup being better. The Cubs were 22nd in runs scored last year. This isn't a Top 10 type team. But they should be several spots higher given the "pop" and depth added to the lineup. The pitching (i.e. second half starting pitching) seems more likely for some sort of regression.

Last edited:
Looks like Correa now returning to the Twins for 6 years/$200M. Think the Cubs reached out again? That’s contract the Cubs should have been comfortable with Even with the ankle risk. Dansby Correa Nico in some order on the infield. Maybe Correa said he’s not playing 3rd for that $.

Looks like Correa now returning to the Twins for 6 years/$200M. Think the Cubs reached out again? That’s contract the Cubs should have been comfortable with Even with the ankle risk. Dansby Correa Nico in some order on the infield. Maybe Correa said he’s not playing 3rd for that $.
The Twins have already done their homework on the ankle allegedly. That part of the physical supposedly is done. Agree this would have been an amazing signing to put him at 3B.

I think the fact he'd already played for the org helped the Twins.

Thirty minutes until the first pitch in the first game of the 2023 season. Thought I'd dust off this thread and see who responds.

I like the improvements the front office has made since last year. Pitching and defense is the theme for this season and it appears like the Cubs may have both commodities. There is a balance to this team in most areas. The only real question marks are the closer and third base if everyone is healthy. Nice blend of contact and power thru the line up if the veterans can hit to their career averages. Eight pitchers on the staff have started multiple games within the past two years and five of them have been promoted from the Cub minor league system. There are decent players with experience in the minors that offer depth.

This team has the possibility to reach the playoffs if it stays healthy.

We have so many question marks in the lineup as far as what to expect. I could see us winning anywhere between 70-90 games honestly. Obviously the upper end is optimistic, but could see things going that way if we get guys back to form.

Thirty minutes until the first pitch in the first game of the 2023 season. Thought I'd dust off this thread and see who responds.

I like the improvements the front office has made since last year. Pitching and defense is the theme for this season and it appears like the Cubs may have both commodities. There is a balance to this team in most areas. The only real question marks are the closer and third base if everyone is healthy. Nice blend of contact and power thru the line up if the veterans can hit to their career averages. Eight pitchers on the staff have started multiple games within the past two years and five of them have been promoted from the Cub minor league system. There are decent players with experience in the minors that offer depth.

This team has the possibility to reach the playoffs if it stays healthy.
Hope Springs Eternal

I do like this team. The D and the starters look legit. Multi pitch starters going to the bullpen should work. Good gloves everywhere. Take the career numbers of the position players and you have enough hitting to contend. Get a couple of players having a career year or improving to expectations...who knows?

I don't feel like there is enough swing and miss in the rotation, nor enough power in the lineup. Who is the big HR threat ? Swanson ?

I don't feel like there is enough swing and miss in the rotation, nor enough power in the lineup. Who is the big HR threat ? Swanson ?
Would guess Wisdom, Happ, Seiya, and Cody are all up there with Swanson too. Think they are all capable of hitting between 20-30 homers.

Consistency is the big question.

Swanson, Bellinger, Happ, Mancini and Wisdom have multiple seasons with 20+ home runs. Mancini has hit over 30 and Bellinger has hit over 40. Rios has averaged a HR every 13 AB's in the bigs and has hit 20+ HR's in the minors 3 times. There is some pop.

Swing and miss is important in situations. Getting quick outs allows the starter to go deeper into a game. That seems especially important with Ross and his quick hook. I expect Ross to use Thompson, Asad and Alzolay for multiple innings. Thompson has demonstrated the benefit of having BP arms capable of 3+ innings. Sampson could also fill that role.

Back