• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clarkstown, NY traffic ticket

forensicdeac

Reaction score
A coworker of mine received a ticket for texting while driving and her court date is coming up next month.

She says that she was just turning off her GPS on her phone for what it's worth. Now she lives in SC and cannot easily make it back to NY to contest it.

1. The ticket has no price/fine on it for the infraction. Is that normal? Apparently it is worth 3 points but she no longer has a NY license.

2. Is it better to just pay or find someone to represent her?

Any advice is welcomed. I really just want to show her the power of the boards and validate my constant reading of them!

Thanks.

Don't pay it, don't show up, don't go back to NY ever... problem solved

Texting tickets are pretty easy to beat since the cops have to prove you were actually texting and not playing a game, using the internet, or making a call. So if it was a texting ticket and not one for phone use then I'd imagine you stand a good chance.

Probably want to see how much the fine is for the ticket before deciding whether to lawyer up because i'm assuming going up there is cost prohibitive. Do the points transfer between states? Will NY report it to the insurance company? If so, probably worth it to contest it. Can also try calling the DAs office/cop and working out a plea themselves. Doesn't hurt to call and ask it be dismissed or reduced. The DA and/or cop probably doesn't want to have to deal with it. Also try calling and getting a continuance on the date. The longer you delay the better chance the cop forgets/loses evidence.

Clarkstown NY can't be a hotbed for pit attorneys.

Back